Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
Agreed - as DPReview stated, ISO 6400 is for emergencies only. Compare that with what the D3S is capable of with their FF sensor, where 6400 is quite clean.

If/when Pentax does FF, I really hope that they don't use the A850/A900 sensor. I couldn't care less about having 25mp - I want high ISO capability. I don't want worse ISO performance than my wife's K-x.
The NIKON D3x uses the 24.6 mega pixel Sony Sensor.

04-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Yep, and it illustrates how bad (IMO) is Sony's RAW processing.
04-18-2010, 11:44 PM   #33
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
D3X has not bad high ISO. But A850/900 are worse. For 2 f-stops worse.

P.S. What about 645D for you?
04-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Exactly my thoughts!
Forget about FF for Pentax, it ain't going to happen!
As I see it, Pentax has no reason to keep producing APS-C format DSLRs in the long run. Sure it's not going to happen very soon as they started up the 645 line again and have their hands full with that for a while, but it will happen.

Once FF digital was only a dream, some years later only available at a very high price for professional use, now slowly crawling down the product line into enthusiast level, and in time it will be down at the beginner DSLR level.

Until then I'll happily keep shooting with my LX and KX.

04-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Yeah, and I don't want it. From what I understand (and I'm not playing in that stratosphere), that is more of a studio cam, probably closer in competition to the 645D's territory. High ISO performance is what I am after. Gimme 12 mp, not 25! Actually, what would probably be best is something like the K20D offered - virtually the same ISO performance as the 12mp sensors but with more mp - say, a 15-16mp FF sensor - but who's going to make it? As far as I can tell, Samsung has made exactly one DSLR sensor (plus tweaks for the K-7 and NX) and is most likely working on the EVIL-style cameras rather than full DSLRs, so I'm not sure that they have the motivation to produce a FF sensor... and we already know what Sony has to offer.

Ehh, that's OK, my wife would kill me if I bought another camera for a while anyway.
04-20-2010, 11:42 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
As far as I can tell, Samsung has made exactly one DSLR sensor (plus tweaks for the K-7 and NX) and is most likely working on the EVIL-style cameras rather than full DSLRs, so I'm not sure that they have the motivation to produce a FF sensor... and we already know what Sony has to offer.
Sony could. Why? Look at the output from D90, D300, a500 and K-x. Same (basically) sensor and heck of a lot different DR/High Iso possibilities. Same goes for 24MP FF from Sony in Sony cameras against Nikon D3x.

Pentax is able to a heck of a lot better than Sony; at least as good than Nikon, maybe with other parameters used (more noise but more details or not).