Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Small rant + speculation

Okay that A850 is out. Not the best camera judging from spec but it is what I`m looking for - an affordable DSLR with APS sized sensor, with one serious flaw - not a KAF mount.

Anyway I think it would be possible for Pentax ( HOYA ) to purchase some of `em sensors from SONY and stick `em into some kind of body, I dont really care which, either K7 type or K10D type would do.

They cooperated before, K-x has SONY sensor. It might make sense for them to do it again, no?

04-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
Okay that A850 is out. Not the best camera judging from spec but it is what I`m looking for - an affordable DSLR with APS sized sensor, with one serious flaw - not a KAF mount.

Anyway I think it would be possible for Pentax ( HOYA ) to purchase some of `em sensors from SONY and stick `em into some kind of body, I dont really care which, either K7 type or K10D type would do.

They cooperated before, K-x has SONY sensor. It might make sense for them to do it again, no?
Huh? You mean Full-Frame?
04-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For sure I mean full frame. APS is just that.
04-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Image sensor format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

04-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Many manufactures have sourced from Sony for years. They have been the defacto source for most everyone (excluding Canon).
04-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K10D is a Sony sensor as are a few other Pentax DSLR's around that era. They will do it. The K-x is such a good camera that they won't have much choice than to raise the bar quite a bit on the next generation of bodies. I bet we'll see a K200D replacement later this year, followed by a FF K-7 replacement.
04-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
The K10D is a Sony sensor as are a few other Pentax DSLR's around that era. They will do it. The K-x is such a good camera that they won't have much choice than to raise the bar quite a bit on the next generation of bodies. I bet we'll see a K200D replacement later this year, followed by a FF K-7 replacement.
Peter, I tend to agree with your speculation; although I would have like to see a replacement for K-7 first before K-200D (if Pentax decide to make a K-7 clone but only with one dial and support AA battery - similar to K200D ergonomics).
04-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Isn't the K-x using a Sony sensor too? I thought that's why the noise levels were so incredibly low on it. You're never going to get an APS-C sized sensor that equals the low noise levels of a full frame though, and if you're still hoping for a full frame Pentax, well, you might have wait quite a long time.

04-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Peter, I tend to agree with your speculation; although I would have like to see a replacement for K-7 first before K-200D (if Pentax decide to make a K-7 clone but only with one dial and support AA battery - similar to K200D ergonomics).
Why is everyone so hipe on AA batteries? I bought my K10D over the K100D primarily for the Lithium Ion battery. I want one battery I can change in a hurry and if I drop it, it won't roll away from me.
04-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Yes the K-7 was the Samsung sensor and the K-x is the Sony. It seems that the relationship with Samsung is over. The K-x sensor it excellent for the APSc format. Very goor at 3200 and not bad at 6400.

As for the AA batteries, I've got no issues with them. I used the K-x last weekend as my spare at a wedding and took around 500 shots with it on one set of Eneloops. I was testing the camera out and shot a lot with it and it performed well. I didn't need to change batteries. Yes you can change one dedicated battery faster but AA's can offer an advantage for someone that might need spares away from home.
04-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

AOShep: I bought my K100D because it was inexpensive & that it took AA batteries. Same with my K200D. Performance may suffer a bit when using rechargables, but I have a dozen or so usually fully charged for other electronic items (remote controls, flashlights, etc.).

The K20D I just got today is the first DSLR that uses a battery pack, so i'm itching to see how well it performs compared to my other 2 cameras. (Actually bought it for less than my K200D).
04-15-2010, 11:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
For sure I mean full frame. APS is just that.
Generally, when people speak of "full frame" that is 135 format.

APS is approx 1/2 the size of full frame, and is the sensor found in all Pentax digitals.
04-16-2010, 04:28 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I just don't know. I really forsee Pentax reusing the body of the K7 to put a different sensor in this fall and maybe some other tweaks (like the k10 to K20).
Then, next year launching full frame. But, a k200 replacement would basically kill the K7 which they can't do, particularly if the sensor is better. In a month or two, the K7 will be selling for 750 -- the price you would expect a K200 sequel to launch at. Maybe the K7 will be the new mid camera and the K8 will be slightly above it? I just don't know...
04-16-2010, 04:43 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I just don't know. I really forsee Pentax reusing the body of the K7 to put a different sensor in this fall and maybe some other tweaks (like the k10 to K20).
Then, next year launching full frame. But, a k200 replacement would basically kill the K7 which they can't do, particularly if the sensor is better. In a month or two, the K7 will be selling for 750 -- the price you would expect a K200 sequel to launch at. Maybe the K7 will be the new mid camera and the K8 will be slightly above it? I just don't know...
Yawn, yet another FF dslr rant.

No, it ain't happening in Pentax land. So if you really really really want a 35mm sized sensor, and it's really that important to you, then go jump to C-N-S.

I find the prospect of a 645D, possibly 2nd or 3rd gen, so much more exciting.
04-16-2010, 06:17 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by AOShep Quote
Why is everyone so hipe on AA batteries? I bought my K10D over the K100D primarily for the Lithium Ion battery. I want one battery I can change in a hurry and if I drop it, it won't roll away from me.
Try to load a lithium battery pack in a region outside withaout eletricity supply . There are solar chargers for AA Batteries but not for lithium packs.
Try to buy a spare lithium pack - AA batteries youŽll get even in Timbuktu