Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jazzyboy Quote
Frankly, the current Pentax aps-c line is already small enough. A lot of people already think that the K7 is a bit too small and thus stayed with their K20D. The biggest demand now is a full frame and nothing else.
There seems to be a greater market demand for m4/3 (or similar) than Pentax FF - except from Pentaxians.

Perhaps Valentín Sama, in stating Pentax's consideration of m4/3, is using "m4/3" as a generic term for all of the interchangeable-lens compact cameras, whether they use 4/3 or APS-C sensors. I've seen people do this.

04-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #17

Is there a point? Other than Olympus' focus on zooms, it is every bit as good in the lens department.

Perhaps Pentax can produce rugged weathersealed m43 bodies but that is easy to imitate.

And will Olympus let Pentax join m43? They're pretty much two companies in the same position on the market.
04-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I have been using an Olympus E-PL1 for over a month. I've been using a Samsung NX10 for a week. Here's what I think:

EVIL/MILC are the future of cropped sensor cameras.

Feel free to check my posting history and confirm how many times I've said that I hope Pentax doesn't go into the MILC market. Many! But after my shooting experience with the above cameras, I've changed my mind.

I have no idea what Pentax is going to do, but I am convinced single reflex cameras will soon be relegated to the high-end segment of camera lines. After Pentax came in late to the DSLR game, and might miss out on FF DSLRs, I hope they don't miss boat.

Shooting around Boston today with the NX10, and having A LOT of fun, the one thing I kept thinking was if only this were a Pentax and they'd designed a few small primes for it... Now I just hope Pentax partner up with Samsung so they can share the NX mount. And as soon as Samsung's 30mm f/2 pancake is available and I can get my hands on an NX-to-P/K adapter, I'll probably buy an NX10.

A month ago I thought mirrorless cameras were simply a fad with a little niche market. But now, now I think they're the future.

NOTE:
  • EVIL: Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens
  • MILC: Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera

The E-P1 is very nice, I actually own the first forum based on the Olympus PEN and Micro Four Thirds cameras (E-P1.net - A Micro Four Thirds Community you should check it out!) and if Pentax made a style of camera like that one, then I would probably buy it.
04-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #19

I think this is more a desire than truth.

Pentax would not get benefits from M4/3 system, just would be pay more for a new sensor format/size/technology when they can use 2 APS-C sensor (Samsung 14Mpx and Sony 12Mpx) already paid.

And, why every body said: "Samsung (Pentax) is coming late to EVIL"? I don´t know the world will end tomorrow...
Just wait for more APS-C competitors and new and better APS-C technology, Pana/Oly is now getting advantage because they are almost the only one offering a EVIL, but in one or two years with more Samsung cameras and lenses and Sony and other making EVIL cameras the market will be different.

04-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
....and do you think Pentax is going to come out with a line of 4/3 lenses to support it? Pentax is already conservitive enough with the DSLR lens road map.

IF anything, I think Pentax will watch Samsung very closely and come out with an APS-C mirrorless camera. That is more believable than Pentax 4/3.
04-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #21

If I will be able to use my limiteds, I definitely want one EVIL/MILC
04-17-2010, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #22
Inactive Account

Four-Thirds/Micro 4/3 seemed like hot shit back when it was introduced, when sensor fabrication was a lot more expensive than it was.

Now, it's just a frivolous indulgence, and the M4/3 cameras seem to combine the worst parts of DSLRs and point-and-shoots. Not to mention the problems with getting decent wide-angle lenses.

Hell, even the aspect ratio's outdated, since the 4:3 ratio (hence the name) which was specifically touted as "perfectly fitting computer monitors" has pretty much dropped off the face of the earth in favour of 16:9 and 16:10 widescreen.

04-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Four-Thirds/Micro 4/3 seemed like hot shit back when it was introduced, when sensor fabrication was a lot more expensive than it was.

Now, it's just a frivolous indulgence, and the M4/3 cameras seem to combine the worst parts of DSLRs and point-and-shoots. Not to mention the problems with getting decent wide-angle lenses.

Hell, even the aspect ratio's outdated, since the 4:3 ratio (hence the name) which was specifically touted as "perfectly fitting computer monitors" has pretty much dropped off the face of the earth in favour of 16:9 and 16:10 widescreen.
I wouldn't call the E-P1 series of cameras (Ok well maybe the E-PL1 but that's a different story) that though, I think that they're brilliant little cameras, along with the Panasonic GF-1. And can you blame them, the way technology changes, the DSLR will be obsolete in a month. Well at least I hope that it won't though.
04-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #24
emr

...since the 4:3 ratio (hence the name)...
Nope, the name comes actually from the sensor size.

Four Thirds system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

QuoteQuote:
The name of the system stems from the size of the image sensor used in the cameras, which is commonly referred to as a 4/3" type or 4/3 type sensor.
04-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
And can you blame them, the way technology changes, the DSLR will be obsolete in a month.
Sorry, which month was this due to happen?
04-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Sorry, which month was this due to happen?
The best way to illustrate absurdity is with the absurd. Or something.

I just meant that technology changes very rapidly, last year at this time the HDTV was just starting to become popular, and now everyone can afford one.
04-17-2010, 11:48 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Nope, the name comes actually from the sensor size.

Four Thirds system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Didn't stop Olympus from using it in advertising, but.
04-18-2010, 12:31 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
From very well informed sources, we could know that in Hoya-Pentax it is very seriously considered the, rather than convenience, necessity to enter "in the Micro Four Thirds"...
I don't need very well informed sources to note that Hoya-Pentax is considering this.

Duh.

If you're in the R&D department at Pentax, I expect you're seriously considering all the options available to you. Micro 4/3, full frame, and anything else that's popular in the market. I'd fully expect they're playing with all sorts of options.

The question is, if and when those options will become a shipping product, and delivered in my mail from Amazon.com.
04-18-2010, 12:41 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Does micro 4/3 mean only the sensor or even the mount has to be the 4/3 mount? If the mount is 4/3, then how can you use the K-mount lenses without an adapter and thereby losing any features?
04-18-2010, 12:46 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
Does micro 4/3 mean only the sensor or even the mount has to be the 4/3 mount? If the mount is 4/3, then how can you use the K-mount lenses without an adapter and thereby losing any features?
If it's Micro 4/3 then yes that is the type of mount and all the lenses for the system will be universal, which might be an incentive for Pentax to go with it because it won't add as much pressure to them creating an entirely new lens series based on the Micro Four Thirds mount. I think that it would be interesting if they did though, considering they have a lot of great rangefinder style cameras to redesign in the Micro 4/3 mount.