Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 11:21 PM   #76
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Japan (Australian expat)
Posts: 166
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I thought that it was by Matuista while the other sensor was by Sony, guess I was wrong though, oh well thanks for correcting me.
Panasonic used to be known as Matsushita Electrical Industrial

04-18-2010, 11:43 PM   #77
Veteran Member
jct us101's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 3,695
How long ago was that? I know for a fact that the E-400 used the Matiuista sensor or whatever it was at the time, but the newer ones used a different sensor (not sure what it was) and the high ISO noise was a lot worse on the newer one.
04-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #78
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Japan (Australian expat)
Posts: 166
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
How long ago was that? I know for a fact that the E-400 used the Matiuista sensor or whatever it was at the time, but the newer ones used a different sensor (not sure what it was) and the high ISO noise was a lot worse on the newer one.
Well, I'm sure Matsushita name is still in the picture. The Panasonic part used to be known as Matsushita Electrical Industrial, but I'm pretty sure the semiconductor part is Matsushita.
04-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #79
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
7 out of the top 30 cameras sold on Amazon are either 43 or M43, so I'd say that Olympus and Panasonic were wise to establish the standard. Without it, I'd guess they'd be selling much fewer cameras.

Pentax ain't doing that badly either, with 3 in the top 30 and 7 in the top 45 - all K-x and K-7 in various kit configurations. So well done to Pentax as well.

And for those that think that Pentax needs to go full frame or risk market failure? The Sony A900 is at #99..
Are those numbers for worldwide sales? I would be interested to see the world-regional sales breakdowns -- what's big in North America, East Asia, Europe, etc.

Also, fanboi clamoring for a K-FF-D are likely driven more by personal desires than by concerns for PenHoya's long-term survival. How do the Canikon FF entries fare in numerical reality? Are they out of the lower 10%? I'd think that the cost of ANY FF would relegate it to a tiny market share -- there just ain't that many pros out there with money for a top-echelon body. I'd guess that Hassy, Leica, Mamiya, aren't in the top 100 either. Amazon sales are naturally going to be driven by both marketing and affordability. I'll bet that the top sellers are plastic Rebels, eh?

04-19-2010, 01:52 AM   #80
Veteran Member
jct us101's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 3,695
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Are those numbers for worldwide sales? I would be interested to see the world-regional sales breakdowns -- what's big in North America, East Asia, Europe, etc.

Also, fanboi clamoring for a K-FF-D are likely driven more by personal desires than by concerns for PenHoya's long-term survival. How do the Canikon FF entries fare in numerical reality? Are they out of the lower 10%? I'd think that the cost of ANY FF would relegate it to a tiny market share -- there just ain't that many pros out there with money for a top-echelon body. I'd guess that Hassy, Leica, Mamiya, aren't in the top 100 either. Amazon sales are naturally going to be driven by both marketing and affordability. I'll bet that the top sellers are plastic Rebels, eh?
Well to be totally honest, the only reports that I've seen Micro Four Thirds really making a gain on all the other brands is in Japan where they have really targeted their marketing strategy the most. I haven't really seen anything from any other countries though.
04-19-2010, 01:58 AM   #81
Veteran Member
tokyoso's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 723
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Are those numbers for worldwide sales? I would be interested to see the world-regional sales breakdowns -- what's big in North America, East Asia, Europe, etc.
I think the johnmflores numbers are for amazon.com USA. One report I read here in Japan has Lumix GF1 #1, K-x #2, followed by Canon Rebel T2i/Kiss x4/550D.

Pentax is, in fact, doing very well.
04-19-2010, 02:00 AM   #82
Veteran Member
tokyoso's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 723
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
How long ago was that? I know for a fact that the E-400 used the Matiuista sensor or whatever it was at the time, but the newer ones used a different sensor (not sure what it was) and the high ISO noise was a lot worse on the newer one.
google

Matsushita Shareholders Approve Name Change to &quotPanasonic Corporation&quot | Headquarters News | Panasonic Global

The change became effective from October 1, 2008
04-19-2010, 02:01 AM   #83
Veteran Member
jct us101's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 3,695
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
You're not saying that Panasonic didn't exist before 2008 are you? I can sure as hell remember there being Panasonic HDTVs and other things back then, at least I think I can. Maybe not. That was a long time ago.

04-19-2010, 02:10 AM   #84
Veteran Member
tokyoso's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 723
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
You're not saying that Panasonic didn't exist before 2008 are you?
did I say that? I must have been saying thangs...
04-19-2010, 02:14 AM   #85
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 57
Panasonic was a brand name prior to 2008, but is now a company name. In the same way that Saturn is a brand and GM is the company (I think Saturn was a start-up through GM rather than an acquisition).

Matsushita was the parent company and they have changed their company name.

EDIT: It would be the same if GM changed their name to Saturn. I find it odd that it's Panasonic now, as I used to be in the electronics industry and dealt with Matsushita regularly. Would be odd to buy semiconductors from 'Panasonic', but I guess that's what people are doing.
04-19-2010, 02:23 AM   #86
Veteran Member
jct us101's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 3,695
QuoteOriginally posted by whelmed Quote
Panasonic was a brand name prior to 2008, but is now a company name. In the same way that Saturn is a brand and GM is the company (I think Saturn was a start-up through GM rather than an acquisition).

Matsushita was the parent company and they have changed their company name.

EDIT: It would be the same if GM changed their name to Saturn. I find it odd that it's Panasonic now, as I used to be in the electronics industry and dealt with Matsushita regularly. Would be odd to buy semiconductors from 'Panasonic', but I guess that's what people are doing.
Oh I think I get it now, so it was just kind of a subsidiary of the original company, but now the original company has changed its name to the subsidiary in order to better identify itself with shareholders and consumers?
04-19-2010, 02:29 AM   #87
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chennai, India
Photos: Albums
Posts: 254
Hey. I remember the 'National Panasonic' equipments. At least in India, that is how it was branded.
04-19-2010, 03:49 AM   #88
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Japan (Australian expat)
Posts: 166
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Well to be totally honest, the only reports that I've seen Micro Four Thirds really making a gain on all the other brands is in Japan where they have really targeted their marketing strategy the most. I haven't really seen anything from any other countries though.
I think that one reason why micro 4/3 is popular in Japan, is that the prices here in Japan are comparatively lower than other places.

Certainly in other places, micro 4/3 cameras are ridiculously expensive.
04-19-2010, 04:16 AM   #89
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,213
All this discussion seems like hot air. Pentax isn't going to make a camera in which their best and smallest lenses are not able to be used. Whether or not you have an adapter, it doesn't change the fact that except for the DA * 55 (a quite large lens) all of Pentax's primes require an in body motor.

It is ironic to me that there are always two camps: full frame and EVIL. One pushing for bigger cameras with better high iso and the other pushing for smaller form factor. It has to be one or other -- Pentax isn't big enough to do both and may not be big enough to do either at this point.
04-19-2010, 04:19 AM   #90
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Spain
Posts: 189
Original Poster
First of all, let me say that I am a bit shocked by the impact of this thread; I think it is the best demonstration that, if such a move was made by Pentax, it would be received with big interest to say the least.

Now, on the discussion about the success or not of the micro4/3 standard, I think it is obvious that this system was a major step in the story of photography, and was so recognized by many important experts & journalists in the field. The mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses will change the landscape, for good or bad (depending on your tastes), and I think all companies will eventually make the majority of their advanced consumer sales in this part of the market.

From an strategic standpoint, and taking into account the ideas already expressed by Hoya to different media, I think it would not make sense to develop another, specific mirrorless system by Pentax itself: the need for new, adapted lenses would be the same, and besides it would be much more expensive than joining another standard. Therefore, and considering that the only existing systems are Micro4/3 (with a proved background and rather successful in sales) and the Samsung one (APS-C based, and with an uncertain success at this time), I think the logic move would be to join Micro4/3.

On the other hand, the forthcoming Sony system is only vaporware at this time, and besides I can't imagine Pentax going that route to back a big company like Sony. And the same reasoning is valid for hypothetic systems developed (or currently under development) by Canon or Nikon.

Anyway, all of this remains speculation; I hope there will be actual news in a reasonable timeframe.

Last edited by cateto; 04-19-2010 at 04:54 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
blog, el, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax 49mm rubber hood for standard lens fulcrumx29 Sold Items 1 11-20-2009 05:02 PM
DNG - The non standard standard Lowell Goudge Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 13 07-21-2009 05:02 AM
how does one join the pentax photo gallery nirvanaguy19 Photographic Technique 4 01-08-2008 08:45 PM
Pentax Days! Come join us and meet Pentax! codiac2600 Pentax News and Rumors 23 11-19-2007 08:46 PM
SMC PENTAX-M 28mm F/1.7 STANDARD LENS HmmmGoFigure Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 07-07-2007 08:46 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top