Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #1

Pentax to join the micro4/3 standard?

Valentín Sama, well informed and reputed Spanish expert on photography (I mentioned him several times before in my blog), just posted in his blog that Pentax might be seriously considering to join the micro4/3 standard. If this hint becomes true, we might be in front of one of the major news in the world of photography during 2010.

This is the original sentence in Spanish:
QuoteQuote:
De fuentes muy bien informadas, hemos podido saber que en Hoya-Pentax se considera muy seriamente la, más que conveniencia, necesidad, de entrar "en el Micro Cuatro Tercios"...
Translation:
QuoteQuote:
From very well informed sources, we could know that in Hoya-Pentax it is very seriously considered the, rather than convenience, necessity to enter "in the Micro Four Thirds"...
Please let me stress that I only translated the information, so all the merit (for good or bad) comes from the original post from Valentín Sama, available here:
Acerca de la fotografía. Técnica, estética y opinión: Pentax y el Micro Cuatro Tercios

04-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #2

I hope not, bigger sensors are where it's at. I really want a FF camera from Pentax. APS-C is as small as I'm willing to go in sensor size.

Samsung is already showing that a compact EVIL camera can be APS-C (the NX series), I believe the new Sony EVIL cameras are APS-C also.
04-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
I hope not, bigger sensors are where it's at. I really want a FF camera from Pentax. APS-C is as small as I'm willing to go in sensor size.
Olympus has nothing to prove regarding the feasability of their micro4/3 format; furthermore, they have a clear advantage regarding size of lenses (specially zooms).

QuoteQuote:
Samsung is already showing that a compact EVIL camera can be APS-C (the NX series), I believe the new Sony EVIL cameras are APS-C also.
You are right, but they came late to the game: Olympus/Panasonic are clearly leaders in the field, at this time. Thus IMO it makes sense for Hoya to join an open standard which already demonstrated that is working and generating loads of interest from consumers.
04-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
a weather/shock proof M4/3 would be nice.

04-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
emr

I'm very impressed with the current m4/3 cameras, but I think that the m4/3 market is already pretty much split between Panasonic and Olympus. If Pentax would start now on the same track, they would definitely be in the "also ran" group. But I seriously want them to go EVIL anyhow. They should only do that with a bigger sensor. Like the APS-C Samsung NX10, but with a different, more classic shape and look. And a support of some sort for K mount glass (the ins and outs of this have been discussed before).

I dare not even think about a FF Pentax EVIL with K mount.
04-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
realistically a lot of pentax users have been waiting for a FF. that's most likely a bigger money generator for pentax if they do indeed come up with one.
04-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
emr

Cateto, just out of curiosity I made a small search of the predictions of Sama as reported on your blog. It seems some are valid, while others aren't. Stuff like the K10D's successor being called K20HD and having video, K-7 not having a built-in flash and so on. I believe he has good connections, but parts of his posts seem to be just guesses. But it will be interesting to see how this one ends up. Thanks for posting it.

04-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I'm very impressed with the current m4/3 cameras, but I think that the m4/3 market is already pretty much split between Panasonic and Olympus. If Pentax would start now on the same track, they would definitely be in the "also ran" group. But I seriously want them to go EVIL anyhow. They should only do that with a bigger sensor. Like the APS-C Samsung NX10, but with a different, more classic shape and look. And a support of some sort for K mount glass (the ins and outs of this have been discussed before).

But if they are really really bold and forward thinking, then they should go there. They have the means to do it. To steal Leica's thunder is very appealing, and to a certain extent they have done something similar with 645D. I think it is possible.
04-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Think about it. Hope for it. Cast ritual incantations for it. Send petitions to Pentax-Hoya demanding it. Spread the word about. But hold not thy breath.

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
realistically a lot of pentax users have been waiting for a FF. that's most likely a bigger money generator for pentax if they do indeed come up with one.
Agreed. But I could be wrong. That's happened. Occasionally. Like yesterday. Anyway, what I've read from the Pentax Faithful, here and elsewhere, is a strong desire for (or obsession with) a K-FF-D, something worthy of hanging old Takumars upon. The best of all worlds! Paradise on Earth! Eat THAT, Canikony!!

But wait. Have old Taks and the like been fitted to Canikony FF dSLRs? What are the results? Have old Taks the resolution and quality to fill a ~25mpx frame? Are old Pentax glass... GOOD ENOUGH? (Wait, don't lynch me, let me finish!)

And even if Asahi optics make the grade, how about the other FF glass we so fondly cherish and use, the Vivs and Meyers and Sigs and Jupiters and Chinons and Mamiyas, et al? Will lenses made for Kodachrome and Plus-X and Agfacolor deliver sufficient IQ for those massive sensors? If not, how much will your legacy glass be worth? Do you really want to find out, the hard way?

The lynch mob is coming. I see the torches, the tar, the feathers. I must run now.
04-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #10

Original Poster
Cateto, just out of curiosity I made a small search of the predictions of Sama as reported on your blog. It seems some are valid, while others aren't. Stuff like the K10D's successor being called K20HD and having video, K-7 not having a built-in flash and so on. I believe he has good connections, but parts of his posts seem to be just guesses. But it will be interesting to see how this one ends up. Thanks for posting it.
I can only say that Sama has an excellent reputation, and very good contacts in the industry. Of course some of his posts (based on his famous crystal ball) combine inside info with some personal predictions, thus sometimes he gets completely right and others not so; I guess this is more or less the same for other people with inside info, but who do not take the final decisions in brands, of course.

Besides, in fairness, he says, at the end of his comment:

QuoteQuote:
Claro que podría ocurrir que entrasen en otro "Ersatz" más, lo que sería una lástima.
Which means:

QuoteQuote:
Is clear that it could also happen that they entered in another "Ersatz" more, which could be a pity.
Let me end with another comment: Sama has particularly good links with Olympus representatives, so in this specific case, I think his information has the look of being very reliable.

Anyway, I repeat: for good or bad, this is entirely coming from Sama, and I personally think he might be on to something. We will see in the coming months.

Last edited by cateto; 04-17-2010 at 03:00 PM.
04-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just like the iPhone on Verizon, not gonna happen.
04-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I kind of like the idea of a pentax 4/3 k mount camera. It would small and perfect with the DA 40. Or think about all that telephoto reach you can get with the crop factor. Imagine the things you can do with your DA*50-135.
04-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #13

Frankly, the current Pentax aps-c line is already small enough. A lot of people already think that the K7 is a bit too small and thus stayed with their K20D. The biggest demand now is a full frame and nothing else.
04-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Um, you really think that Pentax is going to make yet another lens system? They haven't even filled in all the holes in the DA lineup yet, and it's really got a ways to go. I really hope they don't decide to do this, and throw all of us APS-C users into the cold here.
04-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have been using an Olympus E-PL1 for over a month. I've been using a Samsung NX10 for a week. Here's what I think:

EVIL/MILC are the future of cropped sensor cameras.

Feel free to check my posting history and confirm how many times I've said that I hope Pentax doesn't go into the MILC market. Many! But after my shooting experience with the above cameras, I've changed my mind.

I have no idea what Pentax is going to do, but I am convinced single reflex cameras will soon be relegated to the high-end segment of camera lines. After Pentax came in late to the DSLR game, and might miss out on FF DSLRs, I hope they don't miss boat.

Shooting around Boston today with the NX10, and having A LOT of fun, the one thing I kept thinking was if only this were a Pentax and they'd designed a few small primes for it... Now I just hope Pentax partner up with Samsung so they can share the NX mount. And as soon as Samsung's 30mm f/2 pancake is available and I can get my hands on an NX-to-P/K adapter, I'll probably buy an NX10.

A month ago I thought mirrorless cameras were simply a fad with a little niche market. But now, now I think they're the future.

NOTE:
  • EVIL: Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens
  • MILC: Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera