Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Haha, yeah its not really ugly, but its definitely not unique either; looks just like any other...dSLR. I think that is where their problem lies. Well, not to mention from all appearances severing ties with Pentax, the only thing that floated their dSLR lineup in the first place.
I got to play with one last week, with the K-7 even and came away liking the NX more than the K-7. It had the zoom on it and even that wasn't bad. I think I might buy the next one if the price comes down, or buy the current one when the new one appears. I just want the 30mm f2 lens though.

The Panasonic and Oly were there too, and I actually liked the NX over them as well. I really came away impressed.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 04-27-2010 at 02:06 PM.
04-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
How does the micro 4/3 lenses compare to DSLR lenses? I like bird photography. Are there or will there be good teles for micro 4/3? A 300/4 to start with or 500/5.6?
what's the point of buying a small body when you're going to hook it up to such a big lens?
04-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Thanks for the picture John, which rather proves my point. I am sure there are some for whom every bit of size is worth something, in fact I too am a proponent of smaller SLRs. But for me I would be giving up too much with m43. Consider that the EP-2 plus Panasonic 20/1.7 is over 1000 pounds sterling. And even 20mm is not that wide on this platform. Likewise f/1.7 is not that fast, in terms of DOF. One gives up a lot for the size differential. Though at half the price I'd consider it.

Anyway, I've had my say. I'm glad these cameras appeal to someone. Because they embody tech that is worth developing.
04-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Consider that the EP-2 plus Panasonic 20/1.7 is over 1000 pounds sterling. And even 20mm is not that wide on this platform. Likewise f/1.7 is not that fast, in terms of DOF. One gives up a lot for the size differential. Though at half the price I'd consider it.
Wow, $1K pounds is a crap load of money for just that - I wouldn't even give it a look at that price. Now I understand! I have shelled out about $1,100 for the GF1, evf, 20mm, olympus 14-42mm and panasonic 45-200mm - does that sound more reasonable? The Oly was the only 'used' lens of that group as well (though technically new, bought from the mu-43 forum from a user that hadn't touched it).

04-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Wow, $1K pounds is a crap load of money for just that - I wouldn't even give it a look at that price. Now I understand! I have shelled out about $1,100 for the GF1, evf, 20mm, olympus 14-42mm and panasonic 45-200mm - does that sound more reasonable? The Oly was the only 'used' lens of that group as well (though technically new, bought from the mu-43 forum from a user that hadn't touched it).
Well the E-P2 is a very capable camera, it is only priced so high because Olympus had to distinguish it from the E-P1 somehow. The 20mm isn't quite as good at f/1.7 as well, since the Micro Four Thirds format loses about 2/3 of a stop of light because of the smaller sized sensor.
04-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #126
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Well the E-P2 is a very capable camera, it is only priced so high because Olympus had to distinguish it from the E-P1 somehow. . .
Hysterical . . .

Excuse me for a minute

. . .

laugh

O.K. Carry on.
04-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #127
Site Supporter

Maybe if Pentax joined the standard there is a possibility that µ4/3 would finally get some desirable lenses.

04-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
:Hysterical: . . .

Excuse me for a minute

. . .

:laugh:

O.K. Carry on.
What? The EVF and the new art filters also add to the price, but that was the general idea.
04-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #129
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
what's the point of buying a small body when you're going to hook it up to such a big lens?
Well, if as some people are saying EVILs are going to rule over DSLR in the future, then this question would be relevant, right?
Also, if it is okay to put small bodies like K-x or Oly E420, it should be fine for micro 4/3rds as well.
I had posted my question with this scenario in mind.
04-28-2010, 02:24 AM   #130
Veteran Member

I really think we should start referring to these kind of camera's as MILCs (mirrorless interchangable lens camera) rather than EVIL camera's (electronic viewfinder interchangable lens), because the two main camera's in the segment (EP1, GF1) don't even have a viewfinder.
04-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #131
Forum Member

Instead of making a new micro 4/3 body, how about a Pentax autofocus adapter for the samsung NX?
05-01-2010, 12:38 AM   #132
Veteran Member

I think Pentax should join m4/3 so that P/O m4/3 users might purchase Pentax made m4/3 lenses. Truth is Pentax K system is getting nowhere, and it is highly unlikely Pentax would be innovative or commit enough to make their own micro system succeed. By joining the existing m4/3 mount, at least Pentax didn't have to rely on their own bodies for lens sales, though they are again, not very strong on lenses these days. Damn, I feel like Pentax just pushed all the wrong buttons in recent history. Some idiots ran the office I guess.
05-01-2010, 01:08 AM   #133
Pentaxian

Nowhere ?
LOL
05-01-2010, 01:47 AM   #134
Banned

Let me add my rambling to this thread.

I've been looking these days at options for a small portable camera. I'd like something small that I could carry around painlessly. Also, I'd like manual control over focusing and aperture and a decent sensor.

Some impressions:

Samsung NX - too big + a proprietary mount.
Sigma DP1/2 - I'd really like to have a compact camera with a Foveon sensor, but they're too expensive and don't seem well polished. Not that small either.
Olympus E-P1/2/L1 - interesting, I like the idea, but way too expensive. Not that small to carry in a pocket, but I get the interchangeable lens part. The E-PL1 is a step in the right direction - cheaper and with a decent set of features - but still $200 more than what would make me *start* considering it.
Panasonic G-F1 - like the E-P1/2 - too expensive right now.
Canon S90 - this looks like the best answer to my quest - small, decent price, plenty of features - I love that wheel control at the base of the lens. Might just get one.

Some additional thoughts:

- For me, the interest in this category is in getting a small camera that I can carry around everywhere and that can take good shots - it would supplement my DSLR, not replace it or compete with it
- I don't get the Samsung NX concept - it seems to compete more with DSLRs than with m4/3 or compact cameras.
- I like the m4/3 concept, but it has to drop below the price of entry level DSLRs to be appealing
- I'd mostly use an m4/3 with pancake lenses, to keep their size small - the E-PL1 should also be offered bundled with the 17mm
- I am impressed by the S90 and by the fact that it has no competition today
- I'd rather have Pentax build a competent small pocketable camera than a FF camera. I don't particularly care about an interchangeable lens system, but I'd like to see something like the S90 - a very compact camera built for experienced photographers. The I10 looks like they gave some thought to this, but the only result was styling. I'd want a lower MP sensor, so that higher ISOs are usable and some nicer controls (like the S90 lens wheel) to make handling easier. Is it that hard to add a small wheel for aperture control and another for manual focusing?
- It's a good time for Pentax to produce a nice compact.
- I'd be excited by Pentax building a m4/3 or similar camera because I'd expect them to produce something smaller and cheaper, as they do for DSLRs.
05-01-2010, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cateto Quote
Translation:
From very well informed sources, we could know that in Hoya-Pentax it is very seriously considered the, rather than convenience, necessity to enter "in the Micro Four Thirds"...
I followed the discussion for a while and slowly developped an opinion, an educated guess.

First, I think a better traslation would be:

From very well informed sources, we have been able to learn that within Hoya-Pentax one is very seriously considering not only the opportunity but the necessity to enter "into the Micro Four Thirds"...

I don't speak Spanish so please mention if my impression was wrong.

So, the sentence says that there could be the simple necessity to join the µFT camp and Hoya is checking if this is indeed the case. Fair enough and we could hear the same a year ago (more generally for EVIL though).

Second, Pentax, Olympus and Panasonic are all loosing ground with respect to Sony, Nikon and Canon. They aren't number threes anymore. So, it would make sense to meet in Tokyo and Osaka and seriously talk about the future. Hoya managers have stated in public that they seek out for possible ways of "joining forces".

Third, Pentax and Samsung cannot cooperate. I doubt any Korean and Japanese corporation could.

Fourth, an EVIL camera has a new mount. So, there is no need to keep an existing sensor format. APS-C EVIL developments (Samsung, Sony, Canon) are closed to Pentax. µFT is the only readily available option. EVIL cameras have to be small to succeed and therefore, a full frame EVIL is not an option.

Fifth, EVIL and FF are the only two innovations bringing new or keeping old customers. They cannot do both at the same time. I don't see who to join for a FF development. Obvious though for EVIL.

Sixth, if I put myself into the shoes of Hoya, I would spread out my tentacles to clarify options for a Hoya-Olympus venture. A Pentax-branded EVIL camera made (or at least, designed) by Olympus and a decent K-mount AF adapter made by Pentax and retrofitted DA40 and DA70 may be a good start.

Pentax already sells rebranded bridge cameras. And it does make sense for Olympus too. Pentax is big to strengthen the µFT camp and it may provide a credible upgrade path towards FF for FT users feeling the pain of the small sensor. Of course, this would imply Pentax does FF indeed...

Ok, all of this assumes that APS-C SLR and FT SLR will die eventually, with EVIL (APS-C/µFT) and FF SLR being the survivers. I do so. I won't be surprised if Hoya shares this assumption.