Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2010, 12:21 AM   #241
Veteran Member

That would be great, but I guess that SR mechanisk takes a bit of space. And the display of course.

Does anyone have picture of a body cut in half that often are shown when releasing cameras? It would be interesting to see what adds depth in a body

05-10-2010, 06:19 AM   #242
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eigelb Quote
i think its possible to made a DSRL thin like an MX LX even with a FF sensor.
Leica has done it with there rangfinders

No mirror assembly.
05-10-2010, 06:24 AM   #243
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eigelb Quote
i think its possible to made a DSRL thin like an MX LX even with a FF sensor.

Unreal IMO
05-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #244
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
No mirror assembly.
The M9 is significantly larger than the M7, Amoled screens are a plus for thinness, but my guess is that we simply can't make as small camera as a MX with a DSLR...

Autofocus + Advanced electronics + Pop up flash + sensor + shake reduction + back screen = more cumbersome than a K-x.

Eventually the camera will become smaller, but the form will never be the same.

05-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #245
Veteran Member

Now, THIS is MILC :)

-> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1038342-post31.html

(it's APSC. Does Sony produce K-mount adapters?)
05-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #246
Veteran Member

Falk, with that registration distance you can bet your you-know-what the adapters are already rolling off the Chinese assembly lines!
05-11-2010, 01:27 AM   #247
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The camera is nice but with such big lenses, what's the point ?

05-11-2010, 02:11 AM   #248
Veteran Member

It's not the lens that's big, it's the camera that's very small.
05-11-2010, 02:25 AM   #249
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
The camera is nice but with such big lenses, what's the point ?
We're approaching the camera=rear lens cap logic.

Don't ask how large the camera is. Just ask if it adds bulk to the lens.

And a lens can be made arbitrarily small, depending on your needs for sharpness (diffraction) and freedom of noise (lens diameter).

With 14MP and APSC, you don't even have to illuminate the entire image circle. Just mount a retractable walk'n shoot zoom with a µFT-sized image circle and you still have an outstanding 6MP camera.
05-11-2010, 03:28 AM   #250
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
We're approaching the camera=rear lens cap logic.

Don't ask how large the camera is. Just ask if it adds bulk to the lens.

And a lens can be made arbitrarily small, depending on your needs for sharpness (diffraction) and freedom of noise (lens diameter).

With 14MP and APSC, you don't even have to illuminate the entire image circle. Just mount a retractable walk'n shoot zoom with a µFT-sized image circle and you still have an outstanding 6MP camera.
There's no point in such big lenses. Yes you can mount pancakes but you know very well that, considering the market those cameras are aimed at, it will be an exception. In conclusion, you get an ultra small camera fitted with big lens (compared to the camera) which is still not pocketable.

It is better than before but can't ahead DSLR's (no potent viewfinder and probably questionable performance, not sensor related) or P&S (net result is an unpocketable camera).
Nice and all, but very "niche" IMO.
05-11-2010, 03:48 AM   #251
Pentaxian

There's no point in such big lenses. Yes you can mount pancakes but you know very well that, considering the market those cameras are aimed at, it will be an exception. In conclusion, you get an ultra small camera fitted with big lens (compared to the camera) which is still not pocketable.
Yes, I still think the Auto 110 is a better model. As I've said before in this thread, if you scale down a FF K-mount camera to APS-C sensor size, i.e. by the factor 1.53, you end up with ~28mm flange distance and minimum mount throat diameter. One could even make a real SLR with that (somewhat larger than the EVIL competition) flange distance. Maybe make the throat 30 mm so lens barrels can be a little thicker than 1/1.53 of their FF versions. The larger throat mounts obviously have some advantages for digital (that's the 4/3 mantra), but if Nikon (with similar throat diameter and flange distance to K-mount) can make digital FF cameras, the scaled-down versions should work fine too.

Imagine "the baby amigos": 1:1.53-scaled versions of the FA Limiteds: 20mm 1.8, 28mm 1.9 and 50mm 1.8
05-11-2010, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #252
Veteran Member

In conclusion, you get an ultra small camera fitted with big lens (compared to the camera) which is still not pocketable.
This is why I made the comment I made.

The E-mount has a surprisingly large diameter. If it isn't for future FF cameras (which may be part of the reason, in particular as they use the E-mount for camcorders and therefore, potentially a forthcoing professional video camera series) -- then it is to support retractable zoom lenses. They can even reduce the image circle a bit to match FT performance.

So, I won't be surprised to see a pocketable E-mount travel zoom soon.
05-11-2010, 04:10 AM   #253
Veteran Member

Don't see the point in such small cameras. Also didn't see any mention of this format in any of the recent rumour threads from Hoya/Pentax, did I miss something?
05-11-2010, 04:48 AM   #254
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
This is why I made the comment I made.

The E-mount has a surprisingly large diameter. If it isn't for future FF cameras (which may be part of the reason, in particular as they use the E-mount for camcorders and therefore, potentially a forthcoing professional video camera series) -- then it is to support retractable zoom lenses. They can even reduce the image circle a bit to match FT performance.

So, I won't be surprised to see a pocketable E-mount travel zoom soon.
OK, I got your point. Thanks Falk.
05-11-2010, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #255

Both this Sony E-mount and the micro 4/3 have the room to retract a portion of the len into body.

I suspect that they will all do this at some stage. The Panasonic camera should be able to retract about 10mm of the rear element.