Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
Here in Canada I've noticed the opposite trend. Now every single big box store has a K-x to play with and some even have lenses (the best buy near me). When I got the K10d noone but the dedicated photo shops had any.
I never saw one in any of the big box here in Québec . Only Future shop have them on LIne at $699?? way too much

04-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I think the principle of foveon is sound and I will not write-it off based only on the 2 generations of cameras released by Sigma.
Maybe. But maybe not.

I am concerned that the foveon principle implies filtering of light. With a perfectly transparent sensor, colors couldn't be separated. So, the intransparency is vltal to foveon (except for an almost monochrome sensor with huge chroma noise). It seriously lowers its quantum efficiency. Doing the math, I wouldn't be surprised if foveon doesn't even have a theoretical advantage.

The quantum efficiency for Bayer sensors is about 40% per color and with green carrying about half the energy, its 20% for green and 13% overall. I am not sure that foveon is better by principle. I've seen no source claiming it.

This is why I said I am more keen in seeing research heading towards bringing overall QE above 50%.
04-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #33

Pentax has an advantage of only having to manage 2 maybe 3 DSLRs.

I believe people underestimate the market for color/customizable DSLRs, it works at the entry level. In the case of the Kx, with such good high ISO jpegs, people would be wowed by the quality of pics - satisfied customers in my opinion. I can imagine a unique and different DSLR (almost as a fashion accessory) that looks nice and takes great pics with not much effort (read all auto) that would appeal to the mass.

From there on, keep the color bodies, get those WR lens out (55-300mm would be a start).
Add a gps ? These would attract people.

Otherwise, everything else would be using the same features as other manufacturers.
04-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Pentax has the 57th top selling lens on amazon usa

Top 56 lenses sold this past hour are from everyone else

Lenses are supposed to be the high profit items

I'm not sure how popular K-x is as it seems no one needs to buy brand new Pentax glass ?

Amazon.com Camera & Photo Bestsellers: The most popular items on Amazon.com. Updated hourly.

04-22-2010, 01:47 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote

Top 56 lenses sold this past hour are from everyone else

Lenses are supposed to be the high profit items

I'm not sure how popular K-x is as it seems no one needs to buy brand new Pentax glass ?
That looks bad indeed - but how representative of general sales numbers is Amazon?

Btw.: The top two lenses are the 50/1.8 offerings from Canon and Nikon. I think Pentax needs a new lens in the affordable prime segment.
04-22-2010, 04:48 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Amazon sales include amazon and all affiliates

Amazon sales include amazon and all affiliates, so my favorite shop B&H is included if you buy from them via amazon.

The lens data from amazon is new to me, I was looking for the cameras data and found the lenses linky. Heres the cameras amazon link:

Amazon.com Camera & Photo Bestsellers: The most popular items on Amazon.com. Updated hourly.
04-22-2010, 04:54 AM   #37
Veteran Member

m4/3 taking 32% of Japan's market right now

m4/3 taking 32% of Japan's market right now

Thats like 1 in 3 cameras sold in Japan are m4/3 sales.

Olympus and Panasonic rumors Blog Archive 26 of the 80 most sold cameras in Japan from Olympus and Panasonic (32%)

04-22-2010, 05:27 AM   #38
Pentaxian

They're taking 32% from the top 80, not from the Japanese market. The title is misleading, and your conclusion is inaccurate.
Probably the real figure is somewhere above 20%, talking about market share.
04-22-2010, 05:38 AM   #39
Veteran Member

WE have to be carefull, Japanese are buying everything that new, that their mentality
04-22-2010, 05:52 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Fine, just ignore m4/3 sales, everyone else is

Fine, just ignore m4/3 sales, everyone else is

Pentax m4/3 ?

Canon m4/3 ?

Nikon m4/3 ?

All camera makers should continue to ignore m4/3, it doesn't matter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
They're taking 32% from the top 80, not from the Japanese market. The title is misleading, and your conclusion is inaccurate.
04-22-2010, 06:05 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's better to look at these figures, which show total market share in March for each model (and not the individual model variants):

?EOS Kiss X4????????PEN Lite?7??2010?3???????????

These top 10 represent at total of 81.7% of the market share. The 8 DSLR cameras in the list represent 67% of the market share - so there's absolutely no way that m43 can have 32% total market share. Perhaps 20%, not more.
04-22-2010, 06:26 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Japan only sales versus global sales

Japan only sales versus global sales

I'm still waiting for CIPA March 2010 numbers to close the books on 2009, then all the camera makers will know exactly where they stood in 2009.

20% marketshare for m4/3 if true could triple Pentax 2009 marketshare, assuming Pentax took 7% in 2009 's global marketplace.

CIPA:Digital Cameras
04-22-2010, 10:45 PM   #43

Original Poster
4/3 is as much of a waste of money for true photographers as GPS is. Versatile cameras wouldn't use a 4/3 format. More expensive lenses will need to be made to increase their resolution and wide angle photography would be virtually impossible.

bad news for pro pentaxians ... but something has to change... maybe this is the thing... or maybe its evil... or maybe its a FF. The most likely of all IMO is another 1.5 crop APSC.

i keep forgetting that most people just want a small camera to throw around, customize, and identify with. a m4/3 will probably be the new amateur standard.
04-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kickboxingpenguin Quote
4/3 is as much of a waste of money for true photographers as GPS is. Versatile cameras wouldn't use a 4/3 format. More expensive lenses will need to be made to increase their resolution and wide angle photography would be virtually impossible.

bad news for pro pentaxians ... but something has to change... maybe this is the thing... or maybe its evil... or maybe its a FF. The most likely of all IMO is another 1.5 crop APSC.

i keep forgetting that most people just want a small camera to throw around, customize, and identify with. a m4/3 will probably be the new amateur standard.
I think you're forgetting a few wide angle lenses that have been released and have the best quality that any lens that I have seen at least has had. Not to mention that you get DSLR quality in a point and shoot pocketable camera that you can change lenses for, but that's just me though. But I totally disagree with you about them not going anywhere, the Micro Four Thirds market has expanded so much recently that I'm even amazed by how much it has expanded too.
04-22-2010, 11:53 PM   #45
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I think you're forgetting a few wide angle lenses that have been released and have the best quality that any lens that I have seen at least has had. Not to mention that you get DSLR quality in a point and shoot pocketable camera that you can change lenses for, but that's just me though. But I totally disagree with you about them not going anywhere, the Micro Four Thirds market has expanded so much recently that I'm even amazed by how much it has expanded too.
Are you talking about 9-18?? You've had the chance to use it already???