Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #1

Growth of the Industry

“Nikon’s imaging business has been expanding quite steadily over the past 10 years. But can it enjoy the same stable growth for the next 10 years? The answer is no. Growth for existing digital camera products will inevitably slow and they are set to move into a phase of saturation. I intend to keep dialogue open for everyone to decide what we should do to achieve further growth despite this trend.”

UPDATE 1-Nikon taps head of camera operations as president | Reuters

What can this mean for Pentax? I feel Pentax has a very niche market, so unlike Nikon, Pentax expansion can possibly flourish. It just has to make sure that it stands apart from the pack. What are your takes?

04-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax has a really good niche market. Second rate bodies with really good IQ and fabulous lenses.
It works for me.
04-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm not really sure if this is anything more than just fear mongering over what might happen, but if the DSLR market does slow down, then I'm pretty sure that both Canon and Nikon, along with Pentax (if they want to survive like they've done for so many years) will move in the direction of the mirrorless cameras, which are the new trend. Just like film cameras have become mostly obsolete to the average consumer, the DSLR might be heading the same way.
04-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Pentax has a really good niche market. Second rate bodies with really good IQ and fabulous lenses.
My impression of Pentax was always the opposite with stellar bodies, and good image quality. Sure Nikon and Cannon beat them out in some areas of IQ, but Pentax delivers in more areas than any NIkon or Cannon body. What attracted me to the brand was that Pentax is built tough... i should buy a ford to go with my camera haha

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Just like film cameras have become mostly obsolete to the average consumer, the DSLR might be heading the same way.
I can see this happening, but I feel like professionals will always prefer a DSLR as size is not an issue. Mirrorless cameras may become too gimmicky until the technology is solidified. Outdoor photography may be revolutionized, especially for adventurers who need a small body and strong image quality.

04-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Like kickboxingpenguin, I believe that Pentax has excellent, solid bodies. Although the sensors and in-camera PP might not be up to par with Canikon, the bodies are way, way better. It is a grest pity that many camera stores do not hold Pentax, because most consumers would really love the Pentax hand feeling. I chose my K-7 over the D90 and 500D after trying these bodies: the K-7 was the better fit and the built quality and WR were great assets for people who shoot outdoor.
04-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Like kickboxingpenguin, I believe that Pentax has excellent, solid bodies. Although the sensors and in-camera PP might not be up to par with Canikon, the bodies are way, way better. It is a grest pity that many camera stores do not hold Pentax, because most consumers would really love the Pentax hand feeling. I chose my K-7 over the D90 and 500D after trying these bodies: the K-7 was the better fit and the built quality and WR were great assets for people who shoot outdoor.
Although having Pentax in a lot more stores would definitely help get the word out about them, I don't think it would have as much of an effect as you would think. Most people buy a Canon and a Nikon because of the name. It's just like people buying brand name clothing, just because everyone else has it. The sheep mentality always prevails, and although they might have liked the Pentax camera a lot more, they're still going to usually go with the Canon or the Nikon because it's what their friend has and it's what they were told is the best camera to get. Pentax has a lot of work to do before it can get into those leagues, but the question is, do we want them to? Would that mean that Pentax would also release new cameras with barely any new features every six months to keep gaining a profit? I think that Pentax might be perfect right where it is right now.
04-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Pentax has a lot of work to do before it can get into those leagues, but the question is, do we want them to?

You mean like advertise and sponsor some sporting events?:ugh: That would be beneath us.

04-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghillindy1 Quote

You mean like advertise and sponsor some sporting events?:ugh: That would be beneath us.
I guess I meant that more as would we really want to have Pentax fanboys like there are Canon and Nikon fanboys right now? I personally would hate to see that happen to Pentax because it would ruin the motto of "Be Different". That's a great motto too.
04-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not really sure if this is anything more than just fear mongering over what might happen, but if the DSLR market does slow down, then I'm pretty sure that both Canon and Nikon, along with Pentax (if they want to survive like they've done for so many years) will move in the direction of the mirrorless cameras, which are the new trend. Just like film cameras have become mostly obsolete to the average consumer, the DSLR might be heading the same way.
Agreed with the above statement.
The technology keeps on expanding until it will comes to a point of saturation.
Then all the players will want to look for the one thing that differentiate itself from the rest to be the niche player to promote growth and sales.
I tend to go with the mirrorless concept, now Samsung is also one of the player in this aspect. (Samsung "joint-venture" with Pentax for the ist series and K100D)
Maybe Pentax will be next.
04-19-2010, 11:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think this relates. My concern is how many people can afford DSLRs as a hobby anymore. It isn't just the camera and lenses, its the computers, external hard drives for the images, numerous accessories, upgrading of operating systems every 5 years or whatever it is. upgrading of Lightroom, photoshop elements, specialized noise software so it works with the new operating systems, specialized software for so many functions, etc. Plus, the younger generations seem to be more excited by video equipment, vice still cameras, witness youtube. I have really enjoyed the last 3 years i've spent in the dslr world, but its a world i don't think can be sustained at present levels, in both software and hardware. Look at the complaints we had over the increase of lens prices.

Many of us looked at that like it was an abberation, rather than a symptom of an unstable dslr market. Strangely enough, a value oriented dslr mfr like Pentax might be better able to survive than some of the other companies. I hope i'm wrong about all this.
04-20-2010, 03:30 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It would also do Pentax a lot of good to give some focus on potentially big (growing) markets like India. I see a lot of entry level DSLRs getting sold. Obviously, Canons and Nikons (in that order) as you get authorised service centers. No Pentax can be found on stores here. The India Pentax users have to rely on 2nd hand market or friends returning from USA or elsewhere to buy Pentax gear.
If Pentax can market the colourful K-x, backed up with warranty and authorised service centers (at least a couple), it will be very good.
Now, where can I send a mail to Pentax to do this?
04-20-2010, 04:07 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I think this relates. My concern is how many people can afford DSLRs as a hobby anymore. It isn't just the camera and lenses, its the computers, external hard drives for the images, numerous accessories, upgrading of operating systems every 5 years or whatever it is. upgrading of Lightroom, photoshop elements, specialized noise software so it works with the new operating systems, specialized software for so many functions, etc. Plus, the younger generations seem to be more excited by video equipment, vice still cameras, witness youtube. I have really enjoyed the last 3 years i've spent in the dslr world, but its a world i don't think can be sustained at present levels, in both software and hardware. Look at the complaints we had over the increase of lens prices.
Many of us looked at that like it was an abberation, rather than a symptom of an unstable dslr market. Strangely enough, a value oriented dslr mfr like Pentax might be better able to survive than some of the other companies. I hope i'm wrong about all this.
People will still be buying computers, and external hard drives (which are cheap enough to be commodities anyway) and upgrading their OS and software. Those things will happen anyway even if DSLRs disappear from the face of the earth. And I feel that the lens price increase was more due to 'market pressure' than anything else. It used to be that one of the biggest selling points of the pentax system was the cheap (compared to canikon) lenses. Now they are reaching a price parity with canikon, I don't think the increase in lens prices mean much more than that.

NaCl(not sure what to think about mirrorless cameras tho)H2O
04-20-2010, 04:30 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I don't think that most of these things are actually necessary. Your camera is a computer. With Pentax cameras (and I suppose other cameras) you can develop jpegs in-camera and so getting a high powered computer isn't necessary, any more than it is with a point and shoot. A lot of very cheap software can do simple touch ups, cloning and fix white balance. But I think the goal with most dSLRs sold is to have the image good enough out of camera to print, because I think that is what most people do.

In fact, I would venture to say that most people use their SLR like an over sized point and shoot -- put it on green mode and shoot away. Then, if the photos don't turn out, it is the cameras fault. It is the minority (many of them members of this forum) who buy photoshop or elements and noise ninja and go to work on their images afterward.

As far as lenses go, I think that accounting for inflation, photography is much more affordable now, than twenty or thirty years ago.

The biggest difference today is the approach to camera sales. It used to be that a film camera would last fifteen or twenty years. Now, the goal is to sell new cameras based on better specs, basically the way computers are sold. The problem is that we have reached the end of "easy" features to add. We are bumping our heads on the high iso ceiling, dynamic range is about maxxed out, and new digital filters really don't sell cameras. So, what would make you drop your K20 and buy a new camera?
04-20-2010, 05:28 AM   #14

Affordable WR kits should be the niche if Pentax is going to survive.

This might not be the place, but I think Pentax really has to exploit the market for small, tough WR bodies, and make QUALITY WR LENSES TO MATCH! My biggest gripe is that the Limited lenses are not WR. Ppl say that the 21mm is a good hiking lens, for instance, but I probably wouldn't take it hiking. If Pentax would roll out DA Limited 2.0s, WR, then I think they could really exploit the niche they are carving out for themselves and, possibly, survive.

The 16-50mm is not a competent performer, and it's too heavy and bulky for the concept I am talking about anyway. The 18-55mm WR is good as far as it goes, and although it is light, it is still kinda bulky, slow, and below pro IQ.

Having the 21mm, 35mm macro, 40mm, and/or 70mm weather sealed would, to my mind, go a long way. Upgrading the K7 to something with at least a sensor on par with the competition is mandatory, as well, for this vision.

Think about it. Taking your K8 with 40mm WR out on the town. It is small and portable and ppl aren't looking at you thinking you are some stupid tourist. You're not worried about the rain. It's not too heavy and you're glad you brought it. It makes you want to just take photographs again.

Just my two cents.
04-20-2010, 05:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The new president of Nikon is great news for Canon

The new president of Nikon is great news for Canon

Canon's reaching a new audience with HD implementation while Nikon ignores the 1080 market.

Nikon has been hurting Canon the past couple years, picking off dissatisfied Canon owners.

There's great rumours for Canon at Photokina September 2010 this year, like their own 14-24mm 2.8 made in response to Nikon's, Canon's 24-70mm 2.8 with IS and the early arrival of 5D Mark III. All three are items I am eager to consider.

Nikon had some exciting rumours a few months ago that never materialized, like the rumored 80-400mm VR full frame lens. Instead it was exciting coolpix news

Thats how it is with Canon and Nikon, they leapfrog each other.

And as always the consumer wins.

...Well that is, if you're one of the 80%+ of the dslr buying public who own Canon and/or Nikon gear

Last edited by Samsungian; 04-20-2010 at 05:58 AM.