Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I'd rather not have Bluetooth simply because it will have an effect on battery life.
I'm not even sure if having it will have a bearing on radio interference issues, like shooting in say a hospital/lab facility with sensitive equipment.
I've never had a problem using a cell phone with bluetooth in the hospital and it only drains battery power if you turn it on and pair it with another bluetooth device. As far as interference goes, anything with wireless needs to get inspected by FCC in the US and comply with certain standards.

04-24-2010, 04:34 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would like them to put in a standard external interface within the camera and then publish it as an open API and put it on each camera model. Pentax's Remote Assistant is a utility that could stand some work. I would rather have Pentax engineers spend their time on the embedded side - within the camera. This way, folks could roll their own utility - for instance the various remote camera utility packages. With netbooks small enough - you open up an whole new facet of imaging. It would cost very little, and be another reason to buy a Pentax.

The K10 and K20 has the Remote Assistant interface but it was dropped for the K7. It needs to come back and stay.....
04-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Any idea why they chose to use 802.11g for the high speed channel instead of 802.11n?
At the time of Bluetooth 3.0 adoption, the 802.11n was not ratified. The High Speed feature of Bluetooth 3.0 allows for different radios to be used so a future version using 802.11n is not out of the question...
04-26-2010, 04:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
802.11n with remote assist would be very nice to have to photograph birds in their nests! I could set up a wireless network in the car pretty far from the nest and not disturb the bird at all...

04-27-2010, 07:05 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
802.11n with remote assist would be very nice to have to photograph birds in their nests! I could set up a wireless network in the car pretty far from the nest and not disturb the bird at all...
Gordon: for that kind of application, the fleabay wireless shutter releases will probably work fine. Set up your camera, prefocus on a point (or set it up to AF on half shutter press since the wireless shutter releases support this), and watch from binoculars (the 2.4GHz triggers have a 300-500' range) and press it when needed...
04-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Gordon: for that kind of application, the fleabay wireless shutter releases will probably work fine. Set up your camera, prefocus on a point (or set it up to AF on half shutter press since the wireless shutter releases support this), and watch from binoculars (the 2.4GHz triggers have a 300-500' range) and press it when needed...
Thanks Kenyee, sounds like a good option.