Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Bluetooth Please

If there are any pentax engineers out there here is a dream feature that could probably be fairly easy to implement but I haven't seen it implemented.

Bluetooth

The camera should be able to use bluetooth to do remote viewscreen, shutter release, microphone for video, complete remote control of the entire menu, and macro/program shooting (i.e. write a macro to take a shot at one exposure, change the exposure/ISO/WB/etc... and take another shot right away, and a third shot at a third setting faster than any human could change the settings for a HDR shot).

Then they could have a computer program or iPhone/iPad app that serves as the remote control and programming interface for the camera.

Probably a pipedream but it seems like it would be a useful feature. You could even create another fancy accessory of a robotic gimbal that could also be remotely controlled.

There are some point and shoots that have BT for file transfer but it seems like such a waste when you could use it for so much more.

If you had access to this how would you use it?

04-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

A crazy idea, but one with merit. You could even get your own ipod(pad) written especially to control the camera.

Can you transmit video over bluetooth or is the bandwidth too low?
04-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #3

It's too bad onOne doesn't support Pentax for it's iPhone/camera tethered to a laptop app. Covers some of what you're after.
04-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Bluetooth is pretty slow, around 2 megabits per second max, or a little over 200 kilobytes per second. Video is technically possible with that, I suppose, but probably not very good video. Cell-phone quality, perhaps.

And even sending still frames would be pretty painful for remote preview. Maybe not so bad for low-resolution still previews, but with degraded wireless performance, even that has the potential to be delayed.

But I really like the idea for remote operation! And I'd even take low-quality remote previews for live-view type framing.

04-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote

No you can't for bluetooth is designed just for minor data transfer for remote control audio etc. and has max 3Mbps bandwidth and that is slower than the slowest wlan currently in use (11Mbps 802.11b). Also there is no video streaming protocol for bluetooth at all.

Any camera operating commands can be sent via basic radio signal without fancy name and when using separate screen the lack of lag is essential so cables are needed.

edit: Also, why is that every time there's a new gadget in any other camera than Pentax someone thinks it's a must have feature that must be added in Pentax cameras as soon as possible?

Last edited by Drinkkeri; 04-21-2010 at 10:14 AM. Reason: note
04-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Drinkkeri Quote
No you can't for bluetooth is designed just for minor data transfer for remote control audio etc. and has max 3Mbps bandwidth and that is slower than the slowest wlan currently in use (11Mbps 802.11b). Also there is no video streaming protocol for bluetooth at all.

Any camera operating commands can be sent via basic radio signal without fancy name and when using separate screen the lack of lag is essential so cables are needed.

edit: Also, why is that every time there's a new gadget in any other camera than Pentax someone thinks it's a must have feature that must be added in Pentax cameras as soon as possible?

A quick google search for "bluetooth webcam" finds at least one webcam that transmits 640x480 @ 15 fps over bluetooth 2 (max speed 3 mbps as you said) but BT 3 has a max speed of 24 mbps. What prompted this was something I saw about BT4 specs being very close to finalization and a question about geotagging, which could also be implemented over a BT interface.

Wired firing is always faster and it commands can be sent wirelessly, but my feeling is that those are pretty closed systems and they will never be utilized beyond the original inception of how the designers/engineers intended it to be used. If you implement something that is standards based with an API that allows creative people to go to town rewriting software, you will get some very innovative uses just like you see with any PC, the internet, the iPhone, and the CHDK project.

Remote viewfinder is actually a small part of how I would envision utilizing this kind of system. I think writing macros to queue up shots would be very useful in certain situations and I think that being able to store virtually unlimited user mode setting profiles would be very useful in a situation where you are moving between rooms or inside/outside and you could change every setting in the camera with the push of a button. Or if you don't like the setup of where buttons are, how you navigate through the menu you could write a remote control app that lets you set it up as you want it.
04-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
Give us wifi instead. It's more power-consuming than bluetooth, but gives much more possibilities for applications. Now implement the interface in some way which is easy to plug into (web services?), and just wait for the third-party tethering etc. applications to pop up as free software or e.g. in the iTunes and Android app stores.

04-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Did anybody try Eye-Fi memory cards: wireless photo & video uploads straight from your camera to your computer & the web. with his/her Pentax DSLR?

- Bert
04-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #9

If Pentax had an iPhone app that can be used to remote control their cameras that would be a major "cool" feature. Certainly something to distinguish them from Canikon. I'd say they should invest in this.

Bluetooth is probably sufficient to remote control, with wifi only needed for remote live view. I'd be happy with bluetooth for now. Maybe a version two product could also support remote control of flashes via bluetooth/wifi.
04-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #10

bluetooth is still too slow, unless you use it as a basic remote control. BT 4 specs have not even been finalized (should be done this summer), I don't even know what happened to BT3.

Wifi would be better, but as far as I know the iphone/ipad don't support ad hoc networks (I recently looked to see if it would work with the eye fi this way). The good news is that the K7 works with the newest eye fi, too bad you need wifi networks for less precise geotagging.

An integrated GPS with direct geotagging would be very useful, I don't understand why the manufacturers have not done that with DSLRs, yet P&S have them (eg. sony hv5x).

I want buttons to activate/deactivate those features.

What I would love is using the ipad's screen for tethering and directly viewing with maybe some basic immediate editing of raws. Drool. Then the Ipad would be worth purchasing for me, well at least if i could tether.
04-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davidvcd Quote
What I would love is using the ipad's screen for tethering and directly viewing with maybe some basic immediate editing of raws. Drool. Then the Ipad would be worth purchasing for me, well at least if i could tether.
And touch control of AF point selection
04-22-2010, 05:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
The camera should be able to use bluetooth to do remote viewscreen
You're dreaming if you want to do this

USB 3.0 would be more useful than that...even bluetooth 4.0 is only 802.11g speeds and you'd need 802.11n for useful tethering w/ the file sizes we have now...
04-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Bluetooth *CAN* do this. I am a member of the Bluetooth committees designing the specifications - currently in Seattle for Bluetooth specification meetings...

Bluetooth can now run at 54 Mpbs (see Core Specification v3.0 + HS)

Bluetooth also has the Basic Imaging Profile - with a remote display facility.

The design of the High Speed feature in v3.0 gives much better power than Wifi - but the same throughput. The 802.11 radio is only used on demand; with the "normal" Bluetooth radio providing the long-term, power efficient, control channel.
04-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wisemoth Quote
The 802.11 radio is only used on demand; with the "normal" Bluetooth radio providing the long-term, power efficient, control channel.
Any idea why they chose to use 802.11g for the high speed channel instead of 802.11n?
FWIW, the eye-fi card w/ 802.11g is glacial when transferring raw files...the one w/ 802.11n is decent...
04-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'd rather not have Bluetooth simply because it will have an effect on battery life.
I'm not even sure if having it will have a bearing on radio interference issues, like shooting in say a hospital/lab facility with sensitive equipment.