Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Best DSLR Advanced: Canon EOS 550D / Rebel T2i

Is the Canon EOS 550D / Rebel T2i so much better that it deserves to be called "advanced" while the k-x is only "entry level"?

That seems a little off to me.

(This is from the same awards website)

04-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sameagle Quote
Is the Canon EOS 550D / Rebel T2i so much better that it deserves to be called "advanced" while the k-x is only "entry level"?

That seems a little off to me.

(This is from the same awards website)
I saw that too. Canon has several models below it though (not only the bare-bones 1000D/XS, but the 450D/XSi and the 500D/T1i are still in their lineup), and it certainly has a more advanced price than the K-x

Of course it has some features that the K-x lacks, but the K-x also beats it in several specs (e.g. the 1/6000 shutter), so IMHO their in a similar league.
04-24-2010, 04:39 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
The K10D won the TIPA Award for 2007 & was praised worldwide.

This was the dslr touted to make Pentax become a player - yet it didn't.
I disagree with that. The K10D was a hughe success and sold better than any previous DSLR by Pentax and we even had a lot coming from Nikon and Canon that choosed the K10D. It was the camera that put Pentax on the map for those buying a DSLR.

Now, Pentax is the third player. Ahead of Sony, Olympus and Panasonic.
K10D was the true starting point to this success.

QuoteQuote:
K7 - the smallest, semi-pro dslr out there - still not much love goin on
It is loved by the users and by many photo magazines. It also sells well.
For example, it has been on the top 10 sales chart of one of the biggest internet photo retailers in Sweden - Cyberphoto, since beginning of the year. The best position was at number 2, ahead of several Nikon and Canon DSLR's. Even the K-x was there, but the expansion of the multitude colour options means K-x is no longer listed in the top 10 because there is an entry for each colour - the sales for all colour versions are not combined into one entry.

Pentax sells many cameras, they are starting to show profit.
They expand their user base. Hoya has turned the loosers into winners.

But if you expect Pentax to have a major influence of the marketshare by Canon and Nikon, then they can't do it. Not even Sony can and Sony spends so much more on marketing. Sony has failed. They have four times as many DSLR models offered, they are flooding the market, they can be found everywhere, and Pentax sells better.
Sony should ask Why, not Pentax.

QuoteQuote:
My son (22) thinks the Red Kx is ultra cool - BUT - the moment he found out that it didn't have highlighted focus points his enthusiasm cooled dramatically.
It is not that big of an issue.
I love my K-x.
04-24-2010, 04:42 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sameagle Quote
"Advanced" and "entry level" has nothing to do with how much "better" a camera is. An entry level camera can be better than a camera in the advanced category. The categories does not show the quality of the camera, they only shows the market positioning of the camera.

The K-x is Pentax entry level model, it competes in the entry level category yes.
It is the most advanced entry level model out there, but it is still entry level.

The Canon 550D/Rebel competes in the "advanced amateur" or "photo enthusiast" slot. It simply means it is more expensive. It competes with the Nikon D90.
The K-x competes with Nikon D3000/5000 and EOS 450D market segment.

Canon 550D is in-between the K-x and K-7 marketing wise.

04-24-2010, 05:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

At Amazon this hour K-7 sits at #31 & #33 best seller

At Amazon this hour K-7 sits at #33 & #35 best seller in top 100 camera sales

Amazon.com Camera & Photo Bestsellers: The most popular items on Amazon.com. Updated hourly.

K-x is always doing well at Amazon due to its favorable price and included lenses

I assume when K-7 is $699 it will also move into TOP 25 on Amazon Top 100

As it is K-7 is down to $875 thesedays at shop I do biz with. At $699 K-7 will be a heck of a deal, just like my K20D was at $689 when I bought it after price deflated. Depending on whats happening in my budget I may buy a K-7 for $699 or less.
04-24-2010, 06:43 AM   #21
Nubi

Maybe Pentax products are too good. Making good cameras has not helped this company. I think it is time this company start doing something that finally makes perfect sense; that is to start making crappy products with just as crappy a service as they do now. No metal parts, all lenses with SDM, going to smaller sensors with more noise, SA (shake amplification), and fps to something like 0.3 fps. Then at the end of it al, you overprice them. I know this is the winning strategy. Doing the opposite has not helped them.

Last edited by Nubi; 04-24-2010 at 06:43 AM. Reason: This is post # 645. Wow. 645.
04-24-2010, 06:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
that is a pretty funky list....

05-03-2010, 03:23 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info, good to hear. I remember when I was researching my first film SLR, I paid notice to the MZ-5 winning some of these awards
05-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #24
Inactive Account

I want to buy this camera, but it just seems so small. NOt that my hands are huge, but I don't want a "toy"camera in my hands. But the price of this camera is just lovely by comparison to the K7
05-04-2010, 03:22 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxian210 Quote
I want to buy this camera, but it just seems so small. NOt that my hands are huge, but I don't want a "toy"camera in my hands. But the price of this camera is just lovely by comparison to the K7
Personally, I think the K7 is better-looking, and also really small. I have big hands, and I was surprised when I held a K-x in a shop recently, I actually think it would be easier to hold in one hand than my K10D because of the shape of the grip.
05-04-2010, 04:44 AM   #26
Veteran Member

The MZ-5 won "Camera of the year" award in both EISA and TIPA, this was 1996-97 awards. The Super A/Program Plus also won "Camera of the year".
The K10D also won the major awards when it was released, and to celebrate this Pentax made the K10D Camera GrandPrix limited edition.
But since the earlier days of those awards, the categories has changed and evolved, they have many more categories now. They only awards new cameras.
05-05-2010, 03:23 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Well, I think I'm gonna switch brands. While I am a lover and grand supporter of all things Pentax (I own coffee mugs and pens...LOL), the new Canon T2i body w/ 1080p/18mp and excellent metering system for $799 body is calling my name. that's a great price. The K-7 hasn't come down enough yet, so by the time it drops CanNik will have released 2 more bodies probably w/ new technology. Although I don't need all that techy stuff since a photography is not necessarily about the piece you use to photograph.
05-05-2010, 03:43 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, I think I'm gonna switch brands. While I am a lover and grand supporter of all things Pentax (I own coffee mugs and pens...LOL), the new Canon T2i body w/ 1080p/18mp and excellent metering system for $799 body is calling my name. that's a great price. The K-7 hasn't come down enough yet, so by the time it drops CanNik will have released 2 more bodies probably w/ new technology. Although I don't need all that techy stuff since a photography is not necessarily about the piece you use to photograph.
What? At almost identical prices you choose that cheap plastic consumer body instead of the K-7? I could understand you if you were talking about the 7D or a FF camera, but this I simply can't understand.
05-05-2010, 04:10 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's up to you, but I think the price of the K7 with kit is roughly the same as the T2i. The K7 meters just fine. The only reason that I can think of to go with the T2i is if you need total control of video. Currently, the K7 body alone on Amazon is $843, FYI.
05-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #30
Veteran Member

James

your choice... but for me you cannot go past the primes that are available in the pentax range that compliment the K-7 and K-x.
The K-7 is built solid as a rock and has many great features... the K-x which I use as a backup has grown on me and I just love the image results this baby gives under low light....

Pentax lenses well they just blow me away especially the primes and this is coming from an ex Nikon film man.

cheers

Neil