Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Soooo sexy
indeed. since they did it on i-10.. maybe they can do it again ..?

04-28-2010, 10:49 PM   #47
Veteran Member

An improved SR will be good too
04-30-2010, 07:03 AM   #48

Original Poster
Alright, alright how about K200Dii................. instead of K300D

Good aye??

jo
04-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Don't even think of a K200Dii--you're not allowed to dream about it. Not marketable. It wouldn't sell. Just consider buying a K-y or a K-8, and don't use the features you don't need. But those features need to be there. So let's figure out how K-y and/or K-8 will look like.
I sincerely hope that Pentax has a better name than K-y (Not to be juvenile). You know that it'll get a lot of press though. Maybe a K-X2

04-30-2010, 09:07 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
I sincerely hope that Pentax has a better name than K-y (Not to be juvenile). You know that it'll get a lot of press though. Maybe a K-X2
I think the name followed by mkII, III, ... etc that Canons higher end cameras has a good feel about it.
"We made a good camera but has now refined it further" or something
05-01-2010, 07:17 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
I think the name followed by mkII, III, ... etc that Canons higher end cameras has a good feel about it.
"We made a good camera but has now refined it further" or something
That would work.

I wonder, if there is even room between the KX and the K7. I'm tempted to think that it is too small already and to properly make 3 levels of DSLR they need to do one that is ABOVE the k7.
05-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #52

How bout KXi XL
05-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
I think the current boxes that are required for marketers are:

a) VIDEO,
b) Live View
c) Better Frame Rate (i.e. 1080p 24fps, vs. 30fps, vs. 60...etc) This is the new megapixle race
I'm pretty sure that "b" is a requirement of "a".

05-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #54
Pentaxian

I'll be a purist - whatever that is - and say i don't care what the model name is. I want an upgrade to the Kx that fixes some of its problems

My feature set would be for an indoor camera with emphasis on low light. indoor events like indoor sports, playhouse productions like i do, bands (like i don't do), etc.

What it would have:
1. The existing Kx sensor to lower re-engineering costs
2. A quiet shutter like the K7. There are indoor events where a noisy shutter is a dis-qualifier
3. The K7 or K20/K10 battery - lets have some interchangeability
4. A cable shutter release socket - for studio work
5. AF Micro adjust for 20 lenses
6. Indoor tungsten AF options like the K7
7. Focus indicators - primarily because it seems to be a sore point for many reviewers - i would buy a camera without it though.

What it wouldn't have:
1. Weather-sealing (lets stay with a primarily indoor camera concept)
2. dual wheels - money saving again - i'm used to dual wheels but reading reviews, plenty of people are happy enough with the Kx single wheel/menu/button system
3. Larger view screen - not my most important feature - nice, but i would give it up for the top list of featues

Some lists seem to reflect that folks don't want to give up anything to produce a lower price point. I would like all 3 features in the lower list, but i think meeting a lower price point is more important for sales.

I would buy the above camera.
05-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #55
Veteran Member

I just hope they:
-reintroduce remote capture (PC) (it's like having DSLR without hotshoe or similar.. you can leave out such feature for P&S, not big black DSLR);
-leave option to COMPLETELY disable dark frame subtraction (if it's THAT noisy.. why would you like additional hour of senor heating?);
-add AF-Assist LED (this is a big confusion to me - it's not that expensive compared to benefits, and how come every 40$ P&S can have it);
05-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
I just hope they:
-reintroduce remote capture (PC) (it's like having DSLR without hotshoe or similar.. you can leave out such feature for P&S, not big black DSLR);
-leave option to COMPLETELY disable dark frame subtraction (if it's THAT noisy.. why would you like additional hour of senor heating?);
-add AF-Assist LED (this is a big confusion to me - it's not that expensive compared to benefits, and how come every 40$ P&S can have it);
Agreed, with my list above. At some point in the future, the K7 replacement will eventually be a FF camera. The point of keeping a Kx and a somewhat better model like the K300 is that you'll be able to keep the APS folks happy with their DA lenses. Once the top model, the K7 replacement goes FF, the price will likely be more than many enthusiasts are going to want to pay, the projected K300 would offer a compromise price point but with added features that Kx needs for the enthusiasts.
05-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #57
Veteran Member

I could see Pentax putting out a FF in the $1800-$2200 category, a top end APS-C in the $1200s and the entry level in the $600-800.

I hope that if they do a FF it will have a crop feature like the Nikons so that it is fully compatible with the DA lenses.
05-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Agreed, with my list above. At some point in the future, the K7 replacement will eventually be a FF camera. The point of keeping a Kx and a somewhat better model like the K300 is that you'll be able to keep the APS folks happy with their DA lenses.
If they would introduce an FF within a year or two, they still would want to keep their best APS-C camera, so that still leaves no room for a "K300" unless they want to have 5 tiers (K-x, "K300", son-of-K7, "K-FF", 645D). That's still less tiers than Nikon, but I think Pentax wants to keep their lineup lean and simple to understand.
05-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
If they would introduce an FF within a year or two, they still would want to keep their best APS-C camera, so that still leaves no room for a "K300" unless they want to have 5 tiers (K-x, "K300", son-of-K7, "K-FF", 645D). That's still less tiers than Nikon, but I think Pentax wants to keep their lineup lean and simple to understand.
Well i agree, they certainly wouldn't want 5 tiers of cameras, so the K300 and son of K7 have to be the same camera. But the implications of this discussion is that a FF camera would require Pentax to go with 4 camera assembly lines vice 2 in the past, currently 3 with the 645.

so the real interesting question, is there enough return on FF investment to build a 4th assembly line for Pentax? They may have given up that option when they chose to leapfrog FF and built a MF camera assembly line instead. On the other hand, if they could build a large backlog of MF cameras and then use that assembly line for FF cameras. Due to cost, one would have to figure there would be less total units in the FF sensors as well as the MF sensors than APS cameras.
05-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
They may have given up that option when they chose to leapfrog FF and built a MF camera assembly line instead. On the other hand, if they could build a large backlog of MF cameras and then use that assembly line for FF cameras. Due to cost, one would have to figure there would be less total units in the FF sensors as well as the MF sensors than APS cameras.
Maybe they have less expensive and much more compact MF models in the pipeline. Would they still need a format between aps-c and MF? I'm not sure.

Last edited by gazonk; 05-03-2010 at 12:37 AM.