Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2010, 12:27 AM   #61
Veteran Member

You mean something like K-x with the kodak sensor?
That is, no extras (focus points, dedicated buttons, HI-End viewfinder, seals, dual SD) MF. Like a box or RF camera?

05-03-2010, 12:52 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
You mean something like K-x with the kodak sensor?
That is, no extras (focus points, dedicated buttons, HI-End viewfinder, seals, dual SD) MF. Like a box or RF camera?
No, I rather think something like the 645D but with a less expensive, lower MP sensor if e.g. Kodak can build that for them. Perhaps also with a few features stripped, e.g. the dual SD. Doesn't the sensor, and possibly surrounding electronics necessary to handle the data amount, amount to the largest part of the cost of the current 645D? They need the high MP to really set it apart from the FF crowd, but if it's a success, they may introduce a second model with lower MP that is more in direct competition to the "enthusiast" (not pro) FF models. Also: Maybe in the next generation the top MF model will be "FF 645", while the less expensive model will still be cropped.

Regarding size: I think it's obvious that future MF models from Pentax will be significantly smaller than the 645D, there's a lot of air inside it, but a more compact design might show up in the next top model first, and not in the possible simpler model.

IF it makes sense marketing-wise, having 2 APS-C models and 2 MF models will be a smaller effort than having a 24x36 model too, since you'll only need 2 (already fairly complete) lines of lenses.
05-03-2010, 03:27 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
No, I rather think something like the 645D but with a less expensive, lower MP sensor if e.g. Kodak can build that for them. Perhaps also with a few features stripped, e.g. the dual SD. Doesn't the sensor, and possibly surrounding electronics necessary to handle the data amount, amount to the largest part of the cost of the current 645D? They need the high MP to really set it apart from the FF crowd, but if it's a success, they may introduce a second model with lower MP that is more in direct competition to the "enthusiast" (not pro) FF models. Also: Maybe in the next generation the top MF model will be "FF 645", while the less expensive model will still be cropped.

Regarding size: I think it's obvious that future MF models from Pentax will be significantly smaller than the 645D, there's a lot of air inside it, but a more compact design might show up in the next top model first, and not in the possible simpler model.

IF it makes sense marketing-wise, having 2 APS-C models and 2 MF models will be a smaller effort than having a 24x36 model too, since you'll only need 2 (already fairly complete) lines of lenses.
Aaaah, just posted something along those lines in another thread. Yep, I agree on all points. Would be interesting
05-03-2010, 03:36 AM   #64

Tethered shooting and up to 5 AEB frames

05-03-2010, 04:16 AM   #65
Pentaxian

I don't think a newly developed, lower MP sensor would offer any price advantage - unless it's size is significantly lower than the KAF-40000.
And if we talk about a smaller sensor, we can talk about the KAF-37500 used by the Leica S2. Would we see a "645D-Lite" using such a sensor? I doubt it, I think it makes more sense to go up in size, i.e. the KAF-50100 - not the other way around.
A cheaper solution based on the KAF-40000, or even a significant price cut for the 645D is also possible. But, not right now - after all, the camera isn't yet on the market.
05-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #66
Veteran Member

So I guess I'll have to discuss the forthcoming K-s here, since the thread for that was closed. ;-)

For the record, I think we we either need to rename this the "News, Rumors, and Speculation" forum, or we need to require that all new threads in here cite a source for information (even if it's just "my local photo shop" or whatever) - and provide an alternate "wishlist / speculation" forum.

As is, the news / rumors forum is almost entirely populated with neither news, nor rumors - just thread after thread like this one, posted with deliberately misleading topics and generally containing nothing but wishlists (like this thread) or speculation (often carefully couched to sound like a rumor, but with a firm resistance to stating a source because there isn't one).

These combine to make this site's news and rumors forum pretty much the last place I'd come if I wanted to read news or a rumor, although occasionally I still get suckered by the misleading titles and click through to read a thread.
05-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #67
Nubi

I think I am done with this small sensor stuff. APS-C or FF, either way still pretty small. I think I am going with MF. 645D here I come (in a little while anyway). What is this talk about MF sensor in a DSLR like body?? Something about Leica S2 wanna be?? What??
05-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I think I am done with this small sensor stuff. APS-C or FF, either way still pretty small. I think I am going with MF. 645D here I come (in a little while anyway). What is this talk about MF sensor in a DSLR like body?? Something about Leica S2 wanna be?? What??
I'd be cool with a Pentax S2 wannabe if it focused fast enough and was in my price range.

05-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #69
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
I'd be cool with a Pentax S2 wannabe if it focused fast enough and was in my price range.
Believe it or not, there will be no AF for this camera. No SR either. No built in flash. No JPEG.
05-05-2010, 01:32 AM   #70
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't think a newly developed, lower MP sensor would offer any price advantage - unless it's size is significantly lower than the KAF-40000.
And if we talk about a smaller sensor, we can talk about the KAF-37500 used by the Leica S2. Would we see a "645D-Lite" using such a sensor? I doubt it, I think it makes more sense to go up in size, i.e. the KAF-50100 - not the other way around.
A cheaper solution based on the KAF-40000, or even a significant price cut for the 645D is also possible. But, not right now - after all, the camera isn't yet on the market.
I don't see that this sensor is very good. And better than KAF-40000.
No any sense in camera with such sensor like KAF-37500. It would be better to make in future 645D-II with 50 MP sensor or 60 MP (new KAF-60000 someday).
And lower the price of 645D in 2011-2012.

FF in body like K20D with 24+ MP will be better for us.
05-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #71
pdo

With Pentax's cameras naming convention all over the place. I bet it won't be K300D.