Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New firmware to K10D improves AF as well?

I updated my K10D firmware to ver.1.31 last week (it had ver.1.30 before). I feel it also improves the AF on my K10D.

Here's what I observed:
1. When mount Da*50-135mm on my K10D, AF speed used to be a bit sluggish. AF felt 'heavy' but now it feels lighter. AF now seems quicker. Maybe not much but I certainly feel such difference. BTW, my 50-135mm's AF is always accurate.
2. When try it with FA31mm, AF now seems quicker too. And I used to be disppointed with the AF accuracy on my K10D but now it seems to be noticeably better.

I hope these are not just my false feeling.

Anyone else noticed any difference?

Last edited by hyyz; 04-27-2010 at 09:06 AM.
04-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this is post-firmware-upgrade-AF-improove-syndrom (PFUAIS), the cure is simple: buy k7 and you repress obsesive thouths about AF laginnes....;-)
04-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, maybe I should try the lenses on a K-7. Hope I can get hold of one.

Is K-7's AF hardware improved over K10D's/K20D's? If they are no difference, a simple algorithm update will bring K10D/K20D to K-7's AF level, especially for AF accuracy. I have seen people reporting their lenses have better AF accuracy on K-7 than K10D/K20D.

Of course, Pentax doesn't have to be so kind to the users of their old models.
04-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #4

Where did you find the 1.31 update? I was just on the Pentax USA website and version 1.30 is still all that I saw listed there. I would appreciate the information.

04-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here: Imaging Systems Division : PENTAX
04-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Support & Service : PENTAX

I've been hoping for a firmware update regarding the AF for the k10d for about 2 years now. I've all about given up. I do however forsee a K7 in my future so there is a light at the end of my tunnel.
04-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I saw this: Re: K20 firmware today - focusing changes: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review.

It seems to concur my observation, i.e. focus algorithm update. Interesting. But if it is indeed updated, I'll say BIG thanks to Pentax.

04-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Firmware Enhancements

AF on K-x and Tamron 18-250 still buggy.

But the K-X body is now orange and I'm very happy

Next revision will let me set the grip color, I'm told.
04-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The description of the update on Pentax's site stated nothing about improved focusing. It only stated "improved stability of recording image for some SDHC Memory card". However improved focusing may have been a silent improvement that doesn't admit to a focusing issue.
04-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

No changes of AF speed or any performance.

You guys are really feeling PFUAI syndrome ))
04-28-2010, 04:25 AM   #11

What you guys need to realise is that it's counterproductive to bring K7 features (ie better AF) to an older model camera, ie K10. Where's the benefit to the company?

You'll get little things in firmware for older models, but only enough till you can afford to get the latest model when it's price has dropped just before a newer model, ie the K7 right about now.

I doubt there's a new flagship coming this side of Xmas, but it might be announced. And I don't mean a dumbed down version of the K7, although there will be that too.

There was a time when *istD owners were whinging and moaning about no upgrades when the K10D came out, even when the K20 became available. Learn from those folks, cameras only go so far in terms of functionality and firmware updates. It's pointless for a manufacturer to equate an old model to the newer one via firmware, it makes them no money.

Either way, just take photos. Isn't that why you bought a DSLR?

Ben
04-28-2010, 04:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LuzArt Quote
What you guys need to realise is that it's counterproductive to bring K7 features (ie better AF) to an older model camera, ie K10. Where's the benefit to the company?

You'll get little things in firmware for older models, but only enough till you can afford to get the latest model when it's price has dropped just before a newer model, ie the K7 right about now.

I doubt there's a new flagship coming this side of Xmas, but it might be announced. And I don't mean a dumbed down version of the K7, although there will be that too.

There was a time when *istD owners were whinging and moaning about no upgrades when the K10D came out, even when the K20 became available. Learn from those folks, cameras only go so far in terms of functionality and firmware updates. It's pointless for a manufacturer to equate an old model to the newer one via firmware, it makes them no money.

Either way, just take photos. Isn't that why you bought a DSLR?

Ben
Well said. Capitalism at its finest. This makes logical sense if we all want Pentax to survive.
04-28-2010, 05:09 AM   #13

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure why the firmware 1.31 version wasn't showing up yet on the Pentax USA website.

I've updated the firmware in my K10D and haven't had time to test out the autofocus enough yet to see if it seems to make a difference on mine as well. I'm looking forward to doing that later today and I'll get back on the forum to report my thoughts.

Thanks again for the link.
04-28-2010, 05:53 AM   #14

When I bought my DA* 50-135 the manual told me to update my K10D firmware and the link they gave was a Japan site. It link had changed sense printing but I was able to figure it out. So don't expect the Pentax USA site to list the latest firmware. Go straight to the company source. Or just wait for someone in this forum to post the site links. But you have to login everyday or you might just miss it.
04-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #15

It's possible the autofocus is a slight bit faster, but if so it's very slight. I too am looking forward to a K7 in my future and I know the autofocus there is faster, although not so much faster as to mean I have to go out and buy one today.