Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #16

I'm not detecting a change in focus on my K10D.

04-29-2010, 12:55 AM   #17
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think I would notice any changes... I use MF nearly exclusively
May give it a try though... but I only have FA43 at home at the moment...
anyway, how does one update firmware again? It's been a while since I did...
04-29-2010, 01:25 AM   #18

This is slightly related, but for what is worth:

When the K20D was released, the official information (IIRC) was that the focusing system was the same as in K10D. But Carl Weese posted, at The Online Photographer, that he had been carefully testing the AF in the K20D and there was a clear improvement.

This is the original post from Weese:
The Online Photographer: Pentax K20D Report?Part I: Focus

And this is the relevant quote (the bold lettering is mine):

QuoteQuote:
I hesitated several weeks before buying a K20D because the manufacturer’s literature states that the camera retains the K10D AF system. Since I found AF to be the K10D’s biggest weakness, this gave me pause. I’m happy to report that the AF is not the same, and all to the better. First, AF action with the lenses I’ve tried is faster, crisper. (Pentax may still say the AF is the same: I’m simply reporting my impression based on tens of thousands of exposures with the K10D and now 519 with a K20D.) AF accuracy is also improved. The K10D focus points were too much like broad patches for my preference: aim at a flower in front of a wall, and it would focus on the wall. Hold your hand out in front of the camera and point the AF patch at it and the focus will be perfect, but hold up just one finger and the focus will snap to the backgrounnd. Not a matter of back-focus, it was just blind to narrow objects that I would expect AF to recognize. The K20D consistently focuses on targets the K10D would miss.

I shot three frames of this subject, de-focusing the lens between shots, and the AF, in single shot selective center spot, snapped onto the iron gate each time. The older camera would have invariably focused on the brick wall in back, requiring manual over-ride.

AF accuracy is further improved by a brilliant new feature: user-adjustable AF focus point correction. With the camera firmly mounted on a tripod, aimed at a focusing target (you can easily find one for download on the web) make several exposures, download to a computer and view at 100% magnification. If the focus is in front or behind the intended point, go into the camera’s menus and change the custom setting, then test again. Of five modern Pentax AF lenses I have handy, one required a hefty correction of +6 (out of a possible ten), one needed +2, another benefits from a tweak of +1, and two others are dead on the money as is. The camera recognizes the lens as you mount it and applies your custom correction factor. My understanding is that the camera recognizes the lens by type, not individual serial number so if, as in my case, the factor of +6 is set for my 21mm DA Limited, the same factor would be applied if I borrowed someone else’s 21, which would likely introduce an error. You can also set a factor for all lenses which in effect means a correction for the camera itself. Of course this feature is ripe for abuse. Careless or mistaken use of AF correction could easily ruin the performance of excellent equipment, so use with extreme caution. But oh boy, do I love this feature!

Speaking of quick and crisp, the new camera is rated for the same 3 fps sequence shooting speed as its predecessor, but the action feels faster and “tighter.” I almost never shoot sequences but I certainly want the shortest possible lag time from button push to shutter actuation. I don’t have equipment to measure this, but the new camera seems to release closer to NOW than the old one. It also helps when making a grab shot if the AF is fast and certain.

This is an example. I turned a corner, the delivery truck roared by, and I shot two frames, barely getting the camera to my eye. Auto focus, auto (program) exposure, just a little tweaking of the RAW capture in ACR.
My point is that, in some cases, Pentax does not say anything about certain improvements, even if they do exist. In any case, I have not installed this firmware update on my K10D, so I can't say anything from my own experience.
04-29-2010, 07:35 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I don't think I would notice any changes... I use MF nearly exclusively
May give it a try though... but I only have FA43 at home at the moment...
anyway, how does one update firmware again? It's been a while since I did...
Locate the proper update on the Pentax site. It's a self extracting zip file which contains the update and a readme file of instructions. Download to a directory in which you want to store the files and then execute the downloaded file. Open the readme.txt file print it and follow the instructions. Can't go wrong

04-29-2010, 09:24 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hyyz Quote
Is K-7's AF hardware improved over K10D's/K20D's? If they are no difference, a simple algorithm update will bring K10D/K20D to K-7's AF level, especially for AF accuracy.
Yes, there are hardware differences. They're covered in past threads on this topic.
04-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I have updated my K10D with the latest firmware... and I have noticed an improvement (a tad more responsive) on AF when I tried with both my DA* lenses. So, that's good for now until I get to the K-7.....
04-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AOShep Quote
When I bought my DA* 50-135 the manual told me to update my K10D firmware and the link they gave was a Japan site. It link had changed sense printing but I was able to figure it out. So don't expect the Pentax USA site to list the latest firmware. Go straight to the company source. Or just wait for someone in this forum to post the site links. But you have to login everyday or you might just miss it.
It is easily accessible on the Canadian site.

Pentax Canada - K10D

04-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #23

After upgrading f to 1.31 is it still possible to access the Debug menu with famous little application?
04-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #24
Inactive Account

upgrade 1.31

Hi
I've tried to up grade my K10d to the 1.31. I followed all the instructions but nothing happens. When I put the SD card in hold down the menu button and turn on the camera, all I get is the current level 1.0 and then nothing. Do I have up grade through all the levels first? Frustrating.

Eric
04-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by erffuler Quote
Hi
I've tried to up grade my K10d to the 1.31. I followed all the instructions but nothing happens. When I put the SD card in hold down the menu button and turn on the camera, all I get is the current level 1.0 and then nothing. Do I have up grade through all the levels first? Frustrating.

Eric
You shouldn't have to Eric. Did you format your SD card before you put the file on it?
04-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by erffuler Quote
Hi

Eric
Eric, make sure the update firmware is in the "root" directory on the SD or SDHC card, NOT in a subdirectory (such as DCIM).
04-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Eric, and have you unpacked firmware file? You should extract it and copy BIN file to the root of your SD card, not to DCIM directory.

PS: Debug shurely works with MODSET.TXT
05-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #28
Inactive Account

upgrade 1.31

thank you thank you thank you
ChipB and Zebooka. When I moved the BIN file to the root it when just like it was supposed to. I didn't know where the root file was, but I did know that there was a sub file. Can't thank you enough.

Eric
05-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #29

Photos: Albums
Yes I've found debug mode is still available with both the computer activation program and the sd card activation method.
05-02-2010, 01:18 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
it seems to me aswell that AF speed/accuracy has improved on my DA*16-50,
may be its a post firmware update syndrome , but better if it stays like that for some more time.