Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2010, 03:25 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Industry insiders ? Who ? That's a price down by more than 20% in 6 months. Lifecycles of pro cameras are much longer than amateurs. I would doubt that the price would be down by 20% after one year. Especially if the demand is strong, as the sensor supply would be most likely a limiting factor to ramp up production.
Pentax may want to get into the MF market by operating more as in the advanced cameras market. Get multiple bodies out and upgrade them frequently which means the price will decrease as well rather quickly (for an MF market).

I dunno if that's what they will do, just thoughts. There already were rumours about a second 645 body coming so why not after all.

How a about a 5000 US$ introduction price 645 camera (with less Mpix and a couple features out) ? I'm sure it'd work nicely and the development is already paid by K-7/645D.

05-04-2010, 01:49 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Pentax may want to get into the MF market by operating more as in the advanced cameras market. Get multiple bodies out and upgrade them frequently which means the price will decrease as well rather quickly (for an MF market).

I dunno if that's what they will do, just thoughts. There already were rumours about a second 645 body coming so why not after all.

How a about a 5000 US$ introduction price 645 camera (with less Mpix and a couple features out) ? I'm sure it'd work nicely and the development is already paid by K-7/645D.
The goal of Pentax is to make money, the current price trend is due to very fierce competiion in the consumer camera market. There would be no resaon for Pentax to lower the price if the camera sells well, especially as they created a segment of their own.

The second 645 body "rumor" comes from Pentax executives themselves (don(t remember which interview, maybe in the context of CP+) But they gave no details about the camera or their pricing. It can be a upper model with a "FF" 60Mpx sensor or lower model with a higher crop ratio and lwoer pixel count. Nobody can guess and both would make sense.
05-04-2010, 02:15 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Agreed we can't predict but whether there's a lower end body or a higher body, in the end the entry ticket for 645 digital will lower somewhat.
05-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #49
Nubi

Either way, you would still be able to use the K-7's battery for 645D . . . .

I know I know. So what??

05-07-2010, 05:49 AM   #50
Veteran Member

645D CMOS Sensor instead of CCD

645D CMOS Sensor instead of CCD:

"Two potentially important features that appear not to be available as of now are Live view and tethered shooting, what is your view on these?"

"Well, we recognize the value of live view as a tool. We would have loved to make it available in the 645D, but the Kodak CCD sensor that we have selected, just like all the other MF sensors available today for that matter, do not currently enable Live view. We hope that possible future CMOS based MF sensors would be able to lift this limitation."

Pentax 645D – Fiest Impressions & Interview

Personally, I think it makes wise business sense for Pentax to offer CCD 645D & then quickly offer CMOS 645D.
Pentax can safely assume most CCD 645D buyers will then buy 645D CMOS too.
So thats $20,000 Hoya gets from each 645D owner.

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
The goal of Pentax is to make money, the current price trend is due to very fierce competiion in the consumer camera market. There would be no resaon for Pentax to lower the price if the camera sells well, especially as they created a segment of their own.

The second 645 body "rumor" comes from Pentax executives themselves (don(t remember which interview, maybe in the context of CP+) But they gave no details about the camera or their pricing. It can be a upper model with a "FF" 60Mpx sensor or lower model with a higher crop ratio and lwoer pixel count. Nobody can guess and both would make sense.

Last edited by Samsungian; 05-07-2010 at 05:58 AM.
05-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
[Quotation:]"We hope that possible future CMOS based MF sensors would be able to lift this limitation."

Personally, I think it makes wise business sense for Pentax to offer CCD 645D & then quickly offer CMOS 645D.
Pentax can safely assume most CCD 645D buyers will then buy 645D CMOS too.
So thats $20,000 Hoya gets from each 645D owner.
How can you read this into the cited interview? Was Pentax said was nothing else than a common widely acknowledged wisdom in the industry.

You really go too far in putting words they never thought into other peoples's mouth. Really.
05-07-2010, 07:32 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Time will tell...

Time will tell...

Compared to Nikon and Canon owning Pentax involves much more speculation.

I never see daily/weekly/monthly threads everywhere, by owners endlessly wanting non existent products from Canon & Nikon. Wanting more than what's available today is part of the fun of owning Pentax.

Will CMOS 645D Happen ? I'll guess yes and most CCD 645D buyers will want to then add the better CMOS 645D to their kit. I find more purple fringing and chromatic aberations with same lenses on CCD versus better CMOS.

Existing 645 glass is not digitally optimized, so either Pentax redesigns all 645 lens line up or they offer CMOS 645D. Its brilliant really, making every 645D owner want&need a second "improved" 645D.

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
How can you read this into the cited interview? Was Pentax said was nothing else than a common widely acknowledged wisdom in the industry.

You really go too far in putting words they never thought into other peoples's mouth. Really.