Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax 645D coming to Europe for 7.000 Euros

There were already some rumors that the Pentax 645D will be available in Poland and now Quesabesde seems to have a confirmation that the medium format camera will indeed come to Europe after the summer with a price tag of 7.000 Euros.

Last edited by eigelb; 04-28-2010 at 01:11 PM.
04-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I won't believe it until I see it announced on an official, Pentax-owned website, or that of one of the official European importer/distributors. The source for this report is PHOTORUMORS.COM.

Pentax said at the time of the announcement a couple of months ago, that the 645D would be available only in Japan for the initial launch. The cameras haven't even been delivered to the people who pre-ordered them on announcement day.

IMHO, it is far too early for Pentax to have changed their minds. I have no inside information, but I don't believe that the Japan-only limitation was because none of the distributors or customers in Europe or the US didn't WANT the 645D. I believe that Pentax, Japan is refusing to send them, for whatever reasons.

I think, and this is entirely IMHO, that we won't see the official announcement of availability outside Japan for at least six months after they appear in Japanese camera stores. Even then, I don't think anyone will see them on European store shelves for at least a year.

Pentax does not have a recent reputation for being particularly bold. Some may argue that the K7 is in some ways a bold departure from recent Pentax offerings, but Pentax/Hoya is particularly conservative when it comes to financial moves. And make no mistake, putting 645D's on European store shelves will require quite a bit of cash. Now THAT would be a bold move.

But then, I could be wrong...
04-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Pentax/HOYA leaves it every office,to decide whether they import the 645 or not.
Monthly production volume is approx. 300-500 units.
I think the plan with Japan only,was only a little precaution

Best regards,Andy
04-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The initial launch is in 20 May, in Japan; Pentax never said the camera won't be available later this year in Europe. And it will be. Maybe as a special order item, maybe accompanied by an European professional service program - I don't know.
Btw, Hoya is not known for stupid decisions, like refusing to sell high-margin cameras on an entire continent for no reason whatsoever

Zackspeed, the initial monthly production volume is 500 units (official figure).

04-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Would 7000 Euros be expensive for the 645D, relatively speaking?

What are some of it's European competitors prices like?
04-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The initial launch is in 20 May, in Japan; Pentax never said the camera won't be available later this year in Europe. And it will be. Maybe as a special order item, maybe accompanied by an European professional service program - I don't know.
Btw, Hoya is not known for stupid decisions, like refusing to sell high-margin cameras on an entire continent for no reason whatsoever

Zackspeed, the initial monthly production volume is 500 units (official figure).

I know.
First step was approx.300 units,actual approx. 500 units.
04-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eigelb Quote
the medium format camera will indeed come to Europe after the summer with a price tag of 7.000 Euros.
I am still thinking that the only straight price tag for Europe is

6,456.45 €

04-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I am still thinking that the only straight price tag for Europe is

6,456.45 €

Hah - I like it.
04-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Japan preliminary demand for 645D ~ 5000 bodies.
It means European market will get ~ 1000 bodies from October till May, 2011.
500*12=6000 bodies per year

Last edited by ogl; 05-03-2010 at 03:01 AM.
04-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm sure the camera will be available both in the US and in Europe soon enough. Just a question of time.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Its priced exactly like the Nikon D3x. Here in sweden atleast
04-29-2010, 01:54 AM   #12

I think this info is pretty reliable.

The source is not photorumors.com, but quesabesde.com, that is a well known website here in Spain that normally doesn't publish rumors.
If you read their report, or the google translation, you will see that they know about the 645D because they asked Reflecta, that is the official Pentax importer in Spain.

They also said that professionals will have the chance to try the camera at their showroom after the summer.

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I won't believe it until I see it announced on an official, Pentax-owned website, or that of one of the official European importer/distributors. The source for this report is PHOTORUMORS.COM.

Pentax said at the time of the announcement a couple of months ago, that the 645D would be available only in Japan for the initial launch. The cameras haven't even been delivered to the people who pre-ordered them on announcement day.

IMHO, it is far too early for Pentax to have changed their minds. I have no inside information, but I don't believe that the Japan-only limitation was because none of the distributors or customers in Europe or the US didn't WANT the 645D. I believe that Pentax, Japan is refusing to send them, for whatever reasons.

I think, and this is entirely IMHO, that we won't see the official announcement of availability outside Japan for at least six months after they appear in Japanese camera stores. Even then, I don't think anyone will see them on European store shelves for at least a year.

Pentax does not have a recent reputation for being particularly bold. Some may argue that the K7 is in some ways a bold departure from recent Pentax offerings, but Pentax/Hoya is particularly conservative when it comes to financial moves. And make no mistake, putting 645D's on European store shelves will require quite a bit of cash. Now THAT would be a bold move.

But then, I could be wrong...
04-29-2010, 01:58 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Norwegian dealer FOVI is optimistic...

and has already added a link to an advance reserve form on their 645D product page:
Fovi AS - 645D kamerahus

(but they don't quote a price or a European release date)

FOVI was until recently the Norwegian Pentax distributor. They're still doing Pentax service and is a "Pentax PRO centre".
04-29-2010, 04:08 AM   #14

I posted in my blog a couple of days ago that the 645D will indeed come to Spain in August, and someone reported the same information for Australia.

I expected this, although honestly not so early. It must mean that the presales or at least, the interest generated in consumers, is high enough for Hoya to make these announcements.
04-29-2010, 04:53 AM   #15

Its cool and all

But to me its like the guy who has to have a 100watt Marshall while my 22 watt Deluxe Reverb is kicking @$$ just fine. But I don't photograph for a living (Thank GOD.........I'd be living under a bridge!), so I guess cool tools rule for those who have the need and the hankering for it.