Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What lens hood for the 50mm F1.4?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I thought getting a lens hood would be simple, all I need is a hood with 49mm threads, right? Well, then I started looking around and find that the length of a hood corresponds (or at least should correspond) to the focal length.

Most of the hoods I have seen online mention the thread diameter (49mm), but not the length of the hood. Any recommendations on a hood for this lens?

01-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're using a DSLR this hood style works very well.
Pentax Metal Tele Lens Hood =NO RESERVE= - eBay (item 180209158310 end time Jan-26-08 12:58:33 PST)
I hae 2 of them I just haven't got them nearby to double check what the length printed on the side was but if you write the seller and make sure this is a 49mm version, it will work just fine on several lenses including the 50mm
01-23-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

My preference is a folding rubber lens hood. Pentax makes one for this lens:

Pentax | 49mm Round Rubber Lens Hood | 34260 | B&H Photo Video

They also make a rectangular clip-on hood.

I have both but prefer the folding type because it stays attached on the lens and folds away when you want to attach the lens cap and store the lens.
01-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm partial to the beautiful metal hoods made by B+W (available at B&H). They really are like works of art.

01-23-2008, 09:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
If you're using a DSLR this hood style works very well.
Pentax Metal Tele Lens Hood =NO RESERVE= - eBay (item 180209158310 end time Jan-26-08 12:58:33 PST)
I hae 2 of them I just haven't got them nearby to double check what the length printed on the side was but if you write the seller and make sure this is a 49mm version, it will work just fine on several lenses including the 50mm
I had some issues with that UK seller. Bought from him a bunch of small stuff a few times from him but when I received one package 2 items were missing. Refused to refund and worst started to post negative comments when I gave him a neutral feedback.

Back to topic. The rectangular 50mm lens hood is very nice but not cheap. At any rate, with the crop factor, you could go with a slightly deeper lens hood without vignetting.
01-24-2008, 06:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

You're right Creampuff about that seller. I ordered a couple of things from him as well, small stuff like lens caps etc and half of it came in either very rough shape or missing the spring clips etc. he was of no help and not up to a partial refund. I just used that as an example of the type of hood I've used on the 50mm and it is great protection as well as flare control.

I dug out the hood I use and it's got Takumar 1:3.5 135mm 1:4 150mm printed on the side of the hood. All metal with 49mm thread which is also printed on the opposite side.
01-24-2008, 06:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
You're right Creampuff about that seller. I ordered a couple of things from him as well, small stuff like lens caps etc and half of it came in either very rough shape or missing the spring clips etc. he was of no help and not up to a partial refund. I just used that as an example of the type of hood I've used on the 50mm and it is great protection as well as flare control.

I dug out the hood I use and it's got Takumar 1:3.5 135mm 1:4 150mm printed on the side of the hood. All metal with 49mm thread which is also printed on the opposite side.
Wow, didn't know you had the same issue with him as well.
Anyway the Takumar hood you got is a good one. As it is round and deep, it should also be able to use a larger diameter clip-on lens cap which is a big plus.

01-24-2008, 06:45 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I leave it on all the time and use a second one on an SMC f70-210mm Just get a 62mm pinch style lens cap (about $5.00) and it will fit on the end of the hood without issue and you don't have to take the hood off. No need for a UV filter as well since nothing can get in to damage the lens.

Here's the exact hood i have and I've never dealt with the seller but as long as the threads are OK ad the thing isn't all banged up, then there should be no issue.

Takumar 135mm F3.5, 150mm F4, 200mm F5.6 Lens Hood 49mm - eBay (item 160200247959 end time Jan-27-08 14:45:00 PST)
01-24-2008, 04:22 PM   #9

I bought the lens hood of 35/2 in B&H for my FA 50/1.4, but so far it is still on back-ordered.
Can it work with my FA 50/1.4?
01-24-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Should have no problems but it would be less effective because the hood depth is shorter.
01-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Should have no problems but it would be less effective because the hood depth is shorter.
Thanks, I hope so.....
02-05-2008, 04:16 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
I'm partial to the beautiful metal hoods made by B+W (available at B&H). They really are like works of art.
Looks like I lost track of this thread...

The B&W hoods come in a tele, standard, and wide angle. I'm guessing that since 50mm is standard on a typical 35mm camera, that the 50mm on a DSLR would be in the tele range. (Also noticing the suggested Takumar hood if for a 135mm.) Is this correct?
02-05-2008, 06:43 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vmax911 Quote
The B&W hoods come in a tele, standard, and wide angle. I'm guessing that since 50mm is standard on a typical 35mm camera, that the 50mm on a DSLR would be in the tele range. (Also noticing the suggested Takumar hood if for a 135mm.) Is this correct?
Yes, this is correct. Here's a quote from B&H's page about the Pentax FA 50/1.4 lens:

If you use the SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 with an *ist series digital SLR camera and desire the light-shielding contrast benefits from a lens hood, Pentax's RH-RB49 hood (catalog number 34774, B&H item code "PELH70210AF") provides the most effective shielding. While this hood would cause vignetting with a full-frame 24 x 36mm-type camera(such as a Pentax 35mm SLR), the smaller 23.5 x 15.7mm sensor size of the *ist series makes the RH-RB49 an ideal shielding device. In such applications, a 49mm polarizer can be used at the front of the hood with no darkening of the image corners.

I use the Pentax RH-RB49 hood with my FA 50/1.4 and find it handy because it is collapsible, therefore fitting in the standard lens pouch, although I usually prefer metal lens hoods.

Cheers!

Abbazz
02-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #14
Forum Member

If there is any difference between this lens hood and the B+W (other than the price), I haven't been able to detect it. I suspect that this item is an OEM version without the B+W branding. Incidentally, this is also the identical hood to the Kalt branded one which can be found for a very low price at many camera shops.

Metal-49mm-Standard-Screw-in-Lens-Hood

I purchased this hood from the seller on the linked page. The transaction was smooth.

-XM
02-05-2008, 10:20 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by XMACHINA Quote
If there is any difference between this lens hood and the B+W (other than the price), I haven't been able to detect it. I suspect that this item is an OEM version without the B+W branding. Incidentally, this is also the identical hood to the Kalt branded one which can be found for a very low price at many camera shops.

Metal-49mm-Standard-Screw-in-Lens-Hood

I purchased this hood from the seller on the linked page. The transaction was smooth.

-XM

So you have the standard lens hood (from the link). But I guess I could still use the tele lens hood withouth vignetting, which should be more effective, since it is a deeper hood.