Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hey Rainer, have you picked up your A12 Leica mount unit yet? I want to live vicariously through your purchase!

09-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #152
TKH
Veteran Member

Yes, I picked up the modul a week ago.

The problem is that my ordered first m-lens, a Jupiter 8 (Zeiss 50mm 2.0 clone) is since two weeks on the way from Russia, so I can tell nothing...
09-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #153
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TKH Quote
Yes, I picked up the modul a week ago.

The problem is that my ordered first m-lens, a Jupiter 8 (Zeiss 50mm 2.0 clone) is since two weeks on the way from Russia, so I can tell nothing...
Damn! I hate it when that sort of thing happens. I await your report with excitement. The gears in my head have been turning lately, and I got the crazy idea that I should get the M mount module and then get an adapter so I can use my Pentax lenses on my Ricoh. The FA43 I think especially would be a nice fit as a portable normal kit, so I'm interested to see how you do with the Jupiter.
09-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #154
TKH
Veteran Member

Perhaps I can show pics at the end of the day. :-)

This day I try to pick up a m39 lens at a shop in the near of munich. The owner (0n the phone) only knows that it came from Russia and it has M39 and 58mm. I hope that it is a Biogon copy with f2.

We will see. ;-)

09-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #155
TKH
Veteran Member

Its not a Biogon, its a Tessar clone.

So I bought today a cheap (20 Euros) like new Industar 61 52mm f2.8 lens with serial number #091788. (anyone nows how old that lens may be???)

I was very busy on these business trip (850km by car) and so I only find time to do a few shots on a parking place.

Both pics with f2.8.

The Industar-61 L/D is a Zeiss Tessar clone with special lanthanium glass elements, pre WWII. So the math of the lens is around 80 years old!
Tomorrow I visit a good customer in Nuremberg and then we will se how well the little Russian cheapy will do as a portrait lens.

Rainer

Last edited by TKH; 09-21-2011 at 09:35 PM.
09-24-2011, 01:41 AM   #156
TKH
Veteran Member

My Jupiter 8 just arrived

Dead brilliant!

Built like a tank with very smooth working!

At f2 its a little soft, like all Zeiss sonnars:

100% Crop:

f2.8 and f4 very sharp:

100% Crop f4:

Very nice bokeh, too.
All that for $75 from eBay!!

Rainer
09-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #157
Veteran Member

Damn fine results for a $75 lens. How's the weight and handling? And what about focusing?

09-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #158
Veteran Member

The Jupiter is a great lens.

How happy are GXR users. I found one used with 50 and 28 modules. It's really tempting me. I've pre-ordered a NEX 7 but I just can't quite get excited about it.

Do you find the inability to use higher shutter speeds with the wide apertures limiting? I ended up going with an X100 because of the built in neutral density filters. I am very happy with that camera. But if I had a GXR with a 28 and 50 + the X100 all my focal lengths would be covered and I could save the K5 for macro. I'm a 28-35-50 shooter.
09-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #159
Veteran Member

One more question, are there any shutter speed limitations at F4 on either module?
09-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #160
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
How happy are GXR users.
I'm pretty happy with mine. The only thing I can really think of to improve would be slightly better autofocus and video mode, and a K-mount Module . I'm going to look into how easy it would be to get a K to M mount adapter.

QuoteQuote:
Do you find the inability to use higher shutter speeds with the wide apertures limiting?
No, not really. I guess on an intellectual level it'd be nice to shoot wide open whenever I wanted, even in the brightest sun, but I haven't ever run into a practical situation where I felt this limited me.

QuoteQuote:
One more question, are there any shutter speed limitations at F4 on either module?
I don't believe so. If there are, it would have to be pretty close to the maximum shutter speed for the camera module anyway. I'll have to check the manual on that one.
09-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I'm pretty happy with mine. The only thing I can really think of to improve would be slightly better autofocus and video mode, and a K-mount Module . I'm going to look into how easy it would be to get a K to M mount adapter.

No, not really. I guess on an intellectual level it'd be nice to shoot wide open whenever I wanted, even in the brightest sun, but I haven't ever run into a practical situation where I felt this limited me.

I don't believe so. If there are, it would have to be pretty close to the maximum shutter speed for the camera module anyway. I'll have to check the manual on that one.

THANKS!! My GXR should be arriving Thursday. I went with 50mm module first. Next month I'm going to the 28mm. I went ahead and got a B+W 2 stop neutral density filter just in case. I'm definitely going to get the M module in the near future. I just need to sell a few things first. I just don't have any fun lugging around the DSLR anymore. I have a small Think Tank bag. Between the GXR 28 and 50 + the Fuji X100, I'm set at every focal length I use. Not the cheapest way to get there, but I'll never have to clean my sensor and I won't have a shore shoulder either!

Last edited by stanleyk; 09-27-2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar
09-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #162
TKH
Veteran Member

Shooting with my Jupiter/Zeiss I see that the colour rendition and the 3D look of the Sonnar is much better than the very good A12 50mm Ricoh:

Both lenses with f4:

Also f2 is a real pleasure with the Sonnar:

The M-Modul is pure joy!
09-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TKH Quote
The M-Modul is pure joy!
Can I re-ask: "And what about focusing?" 8^)
09-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #164
TKH
Veteran Member

Dont know whats your point?

Focussing with manual lenses is very easy for an old AF nut like me. My English is very bad so let me post what DPreview wrote:

"As an all manual-focus module, it was essential that the GXR should make it easy to precisely focus whatever lens you choose to mount. It does this using two mechanisms - magnified live view and with a 'focus assist' mode. Live view magnification offers two ways of working: a picture-in-picture magnified region or a full-screen magnified view. The degree of magnification (2, 4 or 8x) is customisable and is applied to both modes. We found the full-screen option gives a higher-resolution preview, while a quick half-press of the shutter allows re-confirmation of composition, making it a pretty usable way to work. There are also two modes of focus assist. Much like the 'focus peaking' option recently introduced to Sony's NEX system, Mode1 highlights high-contrast edges. Mode2, meanwhile, effectively shows a 'High Pass Filter' display - showing the high-contrast regions against a grey background, for really fast working.

Helpfully, Focus Assist can be assigned to one of the camera's two 'Fn' buttons, making it easy to toggle the mode on and off whenever you wish. Perhaps more importantly, both modes remain available in magnified live view mode, giving plenty of different ways of working and making it easy to balance speed and precision of focus.

The manual focus options are pretty well handled, the interface is generally rather enjoyable to use and the build/feel of the system are unusually high, by modern standards."

I can say that the focussing with a good manual lens like my Jupiter is much easier than manual focussing with the both A12 AF Ricoh Moduls.

Hope that helps.
09-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #165
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ashwin Rao (who I believe also has a K-5 and has posted on this forum) put up a review of the Ricoh M-module on Steve Huff's website this week. He talks a bit about the new manual focus modes:

The Ricoh GXR A12 “M” Mount Module Review by Ashwin Rao | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS