Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2011, 11:36 PM   #196
Inactive Account

Here is my share! Advance merry Christmas everyone!

12-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Merry Christmas Tattee! Nice photo.
12-27-2011, 08:07 PM   #198
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love the thread guys. You have made me want one too. Just a question regarding focal lengths. The 50 mm is actually a ~33 mm with a fov of 50 mm lens similar to say the da 35 mm on the Pentax digital SLRs? I am trying to decide which module would be best to start with. I like the 28 mm too. Any thoughts?
01-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #199
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
I love the thread guys. You have made me want one too. Just a question regarding focal lengths. The 50 mm is actually a ~33 mm with a fov of 50 mm lens similar to say the da 35 mm on the Pentax digital SLRs? I am trying to decide which module would be best to start with. I like the 28 mm too. Any thoughts?
You are correct. The 28 mm and 50 mm modules are actually 18 and 33 mm respectfully. With them having APS-C sensors that means they replicate the 28 and 50 mm full frame focal lengths people came to know and love on film.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either module to start off with. Just ask yourself do you prefer wide 28 mm or the all purpose versatility of a normal 50 mm. The 50 mm has great bokeh, can do macro, is better for environmental portraits. The 28 mm is smaller and focuses faster.

01-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #200
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A few recent GXR rumors I've read to keep this thread fresh heading into the New Year.

1. APS-C zoom coming next year. Not a super wide aperture but the sensor will be a 16 mp APS-C. Sort of sounds like the Ricoh version of the DA17-70. Think I'll pass, but I could see it being popular since the only other zooms are currently small sensor units.
2. They are be re-releasing the Leica M-Mount module with the 16 mp sensor as well. Will this mean reboots of all the A12 units? From what I've read, part of the reason they are re-releasing the module as 16 mp unit is it sold faster than they thought and they ran out of 12 mp sensors. Funny if true, lol.
3. K-mount module planned! (Touchdown dance) My true excitement may vary based on how they pull this one off. Autofocus or no autofocus? Either way I might just pick it up to slap a DA15 on it.
01-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #201

Where can I find a used GXR? I want to go smaller for hikes and photo walks and I think the GXR might be the camera for me. Is there a used market for them? I would like to try it and maybe the Q system before I settle with a smaller format camera system.
01-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #202

Aside from Adorama and B&H try Pop Flash in this country, also look at the Ricoh Forum as used items are sold there, not the huge amount of goods in this forum but some.
01-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #203

I found a used gxr with the s10 module, before I buy it does anyone have experience with this module? Does it take high quality photos? I can't find much information on the web. Would I have to get the EVF? is it worth it? Also whats a good used price for this combo?

01-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #204
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noquarter15 Quote
I found a used gxr with the s10 module, before I buy it does anyone have experience with this module? Does it take high quality photos? I can't find much information on the web. Would I have to get the EVF? is it worth it? Also whats a good used price for this combo?
I have not used the S10 much or read about people who have used it. The APS-C modules are definitely more popular from what I can gather. I've read the Ricoh EVF is good, although not as good as the recent Sony EVFs. What's the price that they are offering?

One thing that works in favor of experimenting with the GXR is that if you don't like the S10, you can buy a new module later. Once you subtract the original cost of buying into the system, all the modules become much more affordable. So if you can get the S10 unit plus body for a good price, that'd be a smart way to make your way into the GXR system.
01-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #205

They are offering $400 for the body and s10 unit...is that a good price? Also, can I use other evf's on the camera? or optical ones? or is it strictly proprietary? I heard a pentax mount is in the works too maybe that will be a nice unit too pick up. ..I haven't decided yet between this, the k-5 or waiting for a new body.
01-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #206
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noquarter15 Quote
They are offering $400 for the body and s10 unit...is that a good price? Also, can I use other evf's on the camera? or optical ones? or is it strictly proprietary? I heard a pentax mount is in the works too maybe that will be a nice unit too pick up. ..I haven't decided yet between this, the k-5 or waiting for a new body.
That is a good price, I'd say, as long as its in good condition. In comparison I believe my new body and A12 unit even with a discount was $900 or so.

I'm not sure if you can use other OVFs, but I think you have to use the Ricoh brand EVF. Although that would be interesting if you just use a Sony one, lol.

What are you going to use your camera for? And what focal lengths do you like?
01-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #207

I want to use it mainly for fun, and street photography I like the small size but i haven't decided between that or a k-x. I had the K-7 used it for work (commercial photography and a tv ad) I sold it to upgrade to the D700 (which was a mistake). I definitely want to get another Pentax body either the k-5 or its predecessor. but the GXR has intrigued me with its size and fast AF I also read that the body has lots of options. But if the s10 module has average image quality with its small sensor I would rather pick up a k-x.
01-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #208
Site Supporter

If/when Ricoh releases a K-mount, I may ditch my K-5 for one of these. THe size looks right, plus i would like to get some M-mount glass
01-19-2012, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #209
Inactive Account

Sinulog Festival, Cebu Philippines

01-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #210
TKH
Veteran Member

Looking for the perfect bag for a Ricoh GXR?
Today my Bare Bone Bag Evolution arrived from Stephen: BBB

So I packed my stuff from my Domke f-5BX to the BBBE:

The BBBE is a miracle!
It looks a lot smaller than my Domke 5 but it has a lot of more place inside. My complete gear is inside and there is a lot of more space to fill!!

My opinion:
For us here in Europe this is a very expensive bag. With custom fees we talk about a total nearly around 170 Euros. Thats the net price for a big size Billingham Hadley Pro bag. But the BBBE is the much more practical bag. In building and make it fits like invisible to your body. A truly perfect currier bag for photographer!

Rainer