Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Of course what's the use of a new camera if you can't torment family members with it?

Not seeing a lot of distortion or vignetting.

Also shoots in color.

02-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #17
Banned

wow, that looks to be a real performer! im quite interested now. I imagine that M mount module will garner lot of sales of this camera. I see it being really popular in Japan, where both Ricoh and Leica products are already very popular. its sure no M9 or even an M8, but i bet all those people currently using Leica M, m39, contax, nikon etc rangefinder glass on m4/3 are looking pretty hard at this thing! seems like a much better choice over anything else in this regard.
02-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
wow, that looks to be a real performer! im quite interested now. I imagine that M mount module will garner lot of sales of this camera. I see it being really popular in Japan, where both Ricoh and Leica products are already very popular. its sure no M9 or even an M8, but i bet all those people currently using Leica M, m39, contax, nikon etc rangefinder glass on m4/3 are looking pretty hard at this thing! seems like a much better choice over anything else in this regard.
Some tidbits about the M-mount module here. Seems as if they have the street shooter in mind. Also an adapter for L39 lenses is in the works for use with the M module. Fun! :

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/ricohs_leica_lens_module_for_gxr_e...2.html?aff=rsn

I find it interesting that Ricoh chose to go with a mechanical leaf shutter for this camera, as the quick quiet shutter is one of my favorite parts of the GXR so far. The Fuji X100 also has a mechanical shutter, right?
02-12-2011, 05:41 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I wonder if their "live view" solution is an optical viewfinder.

02-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
I wonder if their "live view" solution is an optical viewfinder.
I thought of that as being a possibility, especially since a person using the GXR as a Leica rangefinder lite might not mind shelling out a little bit more for this option.
02-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Some nice photos there. How does the IQ rate when compared to your Pentaxes?
02-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Some nice photos there. How does the IQ rate when compared to your Pentaxes?
Thanks!

I think the IQ of the sensor compares well to the Pentax K-x and Nikon D90 12 MP sensors. Native ISO200, clean ISO1600, gets a little noisier in ISO3200 but still very usable. It appears that Ricoh leaves a lot of their noise in their images for users to clean out at their leisure.

Here's an ISO1600 image that I cropped and also lightened with no noise reduction:

JPEG quality appears to be very good (several of my shots in this thread are more or less straight from the camera). A little sharper than Pentax generally treats their JPEGs.

As for the lens quality, I'd say it compares very favorably to the DA21 and DA15. It has smoother bokeh than the DA21 and less distortion. Resolution is probably a wash, with the A12 unit being sharp in the center at f/2.5 and sharpening at the edges as you stop down (similar to the DA21). Very little vignetting even wide open. I'd say the DA15 still clearly is more flare resistant, but that's true of it compared to pretty much every other lens. The A12 also is very contrasty, just like both DA lenses. Really quite a lot to like in a little package.

As to your previous autofocus question, the autofocus I'd say is similar to some older model Pentax cameras I have used, think the K10D or K100D Super, in that it is fairly quick but slowed by double checking. Conversely, because the camera does use double checking, the focus is usually pretty spot on, although it can get confused, especially in bad light. Certainly not a camera for fast action, but I have got some moderate speed action with the continuous multi shot mode.

There are several autofocus modes that I haven't totally mastered yet. There's multi autofocus where the camera picks the focus (usually pretty good), spot focus where you can choose the focus point with directional pads, infinity focus (like it sounds), and snap focus, where you can set the focus point a specific distance away from you. I think these last two would be especially useful in the hands of a street shooter.

Last edited by Urkeldaedalus; 02-13-2011 at 11:14 AM.
02-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Was warm enough to take a quick walk today, thank goodness.

Having fun with shadows.

02-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I missed up the framing on this one a bit, but it's an example of the type of environmental portrait I think this camera/lens module combo would be good for:

02-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #25
Pentaxian

How much pp are you using for the B&W shots? They look really good.
02-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
How much pp are you using for the B&W shots? They look really good.
Not a whole lot of post processing on these really. Some of them were straight out of the camera Jpegs.

The ones I did post processing for I mostly just desaturated, added some clarity and some minor unsharp masking and played with the levels. I've read that the Ricoh files also convert pretty well to black and white film looks like with Silver Efex pro.
02-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Neighbor cat stopped by today.

Dinosaur Lincoln in honor of President's Day

02-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Took my GXR along with my K-5 to a state high school robotics competition.

Waiting to go home. (crop)

Last edited by Urkeldaedalus; 03-01-2011 at 05:18 AM.
03-01-2011, 05:19 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Quick portrait of new high school principal.

03-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This one is for all the coffee lovers out there.

And this is for those who crave french fries.

Quick snap while on a walk