Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #286
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
A16 24-85....It seems to me the module has no AA filter or AA filter is very weak. I see some moire on curtains.
Somebody dislike moire. But I like sharpness.
A16 24-85mm has no AA filter. Except for being slower, in terms of image quality, it's better than my DA* 16-50mm + K7, particularly sharper.

09-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #287
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
A16 24-85mm has no AA filter. Except for being slower, in terms of image quality, it's better than my DA* 16-50mm + K7, particularly sharper.
It seems to me - you're 100% right.
09-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #288
ogl
Pentaxian

I see in exif tools that A12 50 macro has real aperture f2.38.
10-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #289
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How is the AF speed and accuracy without the various lensors? Keep in mind that my experience is with the K5 and Fuji X10. Also how does the A12 50 mm compare to the DA35 mm Ltd. in terms of IQ and physical size? The 50 mm looks as big. Not having seen the system it is hard to relative sizes. @Ogl I know you were not a fan of the 35 mm ltd. when it came out.

10-03-2012, 04:22 AM   #290
ogl
Pentaxian

A12 50/2.5 is very light and small for me... IQ of Ricoh primes are outstanding. It's VERY COMPACT system and I can put GXR +A12 in my jacket's pocket. You can't understand the size at the photos in the web.
A12 50/2.5 is sharper than DA35/2.8, and it's very sharp wide-opened.

As for AF speed - it's not worse than K200D in daytime and worse in the low light and in evening room's light. But GXR has AF lamp. It helps.
Accurancy - I just missed several shots with cat and moving men. But ..99.9% photo are sharp and always in focus.
Anyway, I make usually the serie of shots of moving objects and some are always in focus.
It's not sport system. It's for street shots and for home use system. Accurancy - I never seen such accurancy with Pentax cameras... Very HIGH.

The colours of JPEG converted from C1Pro and structure of picture looks like film, but it's hard to say which type....Maybe, Provia... Something between Provia and Astia.
The sharpness are like K200D, maybe a bit sharper...

Last edited by ogl; 10-03-2012 at 06:42 AM.
10-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #291
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@Ogl. Thanks for the insight. You are right it is hard to tell how small the system is. I take it the 50/2.5 is smaller than the DA35/2.8. Wow, I can't believe the Ricoh can be any sharper then the DA 35 mm as it is quite sharp to me even wide open. I have grown to learn the entire Pentax history and the various lens series. I didn't know what the quality of the Ricoh lenses were. Sounds like you are impressed with the Ricoh lenses. Is their GR lenses analogous to the Limited or * lens series of Pentax?
10-03-2012, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #292
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
@Ogl. Thanks for the insight. You are right it is hard to tell how small the system is. I take it the 50/2.5 is smaller than the DA35/2.8. Wow, I can't believe the Ricoh can be any sharper then the DA 35 mm as it is quite sharp to me even wide open. I have grown to learn the entire Pentax history and the various lens series. I didn't know what the quality of the Ricoh lenses were. Sounds like you are impressed with the Ricoh lenses. Is their GR lenses analogous to the Limited or * lens series of Pentax?
From what I've seen just in sample photos of both lenses I've liked the DA35 Macro better as a macro or detail lens. The 50 mm f/2.5 really excels though as a general purpose lens in addition to being a macro lens. The bokeh on the 50 f/2.5 is smooooth and highlights are perfectly circular (unlike the DA35), and combined with good sharpness this makes the 50 f/2.5 a pretty decent portrait snapper. The 28 f/2.5 unit incidentally also has smooth bokeh.

The GXR is very portable, with the A12 28 mm unit it reminds me almost of a slightly bigger Canon G12, which is impressive when you consider the sensor size is APS-C.

I wouldn't call the AF speed fast by any stretch (it seems prehistoric compared to the almost too fast Olympus EM-5), but it gets the job done in most cases. Also consider that RIcoh has some very cool unique focusing features that can be mastered, including a snap focus option that sets the focusing distance at a fixed distance and the shutter (a very quiet leaf shutter, btw) can be snapped almost instantly. Great for street shooting. I captured this shot almost instantly for example:

As for the quality of the A12 primes, I think they are excellent. If they were both in existence for use on the Pentax K-5 I'd snap them up instantly, especially the A12 28 mm unit, which I would argue would instantly become the best Pentax lens option between 20-30 mm.

Where the GXR is getting a little long in the tooth with these units is the sensor performance. The EM-5 I mentioned before, for example, is a M4/3 sensor but with sensor improvements it in many ways has caught up with the larger sensor in the A12 units, and the AF performance of these units could also use a boost in their new iteration. This is why I'm hoping for a refresh of both lensors with the K-5 sensor and an AF tweak. With that they'd be lovely options at their size and performance level.

Besides this caveat, however, I think there is still a lot to love about the A12 prime units. I'd recommend you giving them a try. There's a lot of joy that comes out of using them that doesn't show up in the spec sheets.
10-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #293
ogl
Pentaxian

Yes...Bokeh is very good. I forget to say...

10-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #294
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote

Besides this caveat, however, I think there is still a lot to love about the A12 prime units. I'd recommend you giving them a try. There's a lot of joy that comes out of using them that doesn't show up in the spec sheets.
My emotions are the same....
10-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #295
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've always thought this was a perfect sample of the 50 f/2.5 potential as a portrait taker.

Great 3D pop in front of a smooth out of focus area with good detail at the point of focus. Just really nice.
10-04-2012, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #296
Site Supporter

Urkeldaedalus, I should say that having returned from 2 weeks vacation in US of A I am totally in love with Ricoh GXR 50mm module. For all my purposes the sensor and the lens are more than enough. I will post some images later on as I am still very much in the middle of processing the whole bunch. I've shot more than 1500 still frames and 50+ video clips and lost may be like dozen images. The operation of the camera and the ergonomics are top notch. The color fidelity and ability to pull detail and valid color from overexposed areas is outstanding. The JPG engine is remarkable to the point that I have no hesitation whatsoever in shooting JPG with various picture modes (miniature and soft come to mind right away). ISO 1600 is very much usable without much addition to the processing. All in all this is probably as good a camera for me as it can possibly get. I don't use my Pentax gear any longer and don't have any regrets whatsoever.
10-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #297
Pentaxian

Something to think about here.

Ricoh GXR body + A12 module M Mount kit + 3 Batteries | eBay
10-05-2012, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #298
TKH
Veteran Member

Stayed in Rom for a few days. The Voigtlander Nokton 35mm 1.2 was very helpful in the dark churches and museums.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GXR MOUNT A12  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GXR MOUNT A12  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GXR MOUNT A12  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GXR MOUNT A12  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GXR MOUNT A12  Photo 
10-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #299
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Urkeldaedalus, I should say that having returned from 2 weeks vacation in US of A I am totally in love with Ricoh GXR 50mm module. For all my purposes the sensor and the lens are more than enough. I will post some images later on as I am still very much in the middle of processing the whole bunch. I've shot more than 1500 still frames and 50+ video clips and lost may be like dozen images. The operation of the camera and the ergonomics are top notch. The color fidelity and ability to pull detail and valid color from overexposed areas is outstanding. The JPG engine is remarkable to the point that I have no hesitation whatsoever in shooting JPG with various picture modes (miniature and soft come to mind right away). ISO 1600 is very much usable without much addition to the processing. All in all this is probably as good a camera for me as it can possibly get. I don't use my Pentax gear any longer and don't have any regrets whatsoever.
Glad you're liking it @Boris! I look forward to seeing your photos.
10-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #300
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
That's a pretty good deal for people interested in the M-mount module. Doesn't the module alone cost $600? So you'd be saving $100 at least on the body.