Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 193 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great pics - keep them coming!

So after having the camera for a while, where do you think its sweetspot is? What situations would you reach for it instead of the K-5? Conversely, what situations would you reach for the K-5 instead? Any other modules in your plans?

03-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Great pics - keep them coming!

So after having the camera for a while, where do you think its sweetspot is? What situations would you reach for it instead of the K-5? Conversely, what situations would you reach for the K-5 instead? Any other modules in your plans?
Thanks! It's kind of weird for me to be the only member of my own club, so it's good to know people are enjoying seeing the samples

I think the sweetspot for me with the GXR and the 28 mm module is it is so light and portable that I can always have a wide angle lens with me.

For example, I work for a few small newspapers where I am both the writer and the photographer on assignments. I bring my K-5 with me on assignment, as it is still overall my go to camera, but I also have the uncanny habit of bringing a telephoto lens when a crowd shows up that could have been better captured with a wide. So now I bring the GXR along since it weighs almost nothing so I'm always covered.

I also like to use it if possible instead of my DA*16-50 for candid people shots because I have the feeling that the larger lens intimidates people a bit more. They're a bit more natural when you're using what looks like a point and shoot. I'm shooting a few weddings later this year and I imagine I'll have the GXR on my shoulder for this reason. If I want quicker or more reliable autofocus or need the versatility of the zoom I bring the DA*16-50 K-5 or K-7 combo instead.

The GXR is also for some reason that I can't quite figure out really addictive to shoot with, even if it is not quite as good in some ways as a DSLR. Maybe because it's so different from a DSLR so it's refreshing? I don't know. It's my fun travel camera, whereas the K-5 I would call my professional option, not that the K-5 isn't fun, it's just comparatively a bit bulkier.

That 50 mm macro module is really tempting me, as the IQ on that looks really, really good. Besides that, I'm kind of waiting to make more purchases until this fall when the Leica M mount module is scheduled to come out. I want to see how they manage the technical (viewfinder) issues of that module before I consider buying that one.
03-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
An example from today of using both Pentax and Ricoh together.

I was doing a story on a local orchid grower and he agreed to greet me in his greenhouse. I decided for the orchids the FA31 would be good, while for a scene setting shot the Ricoh 28 mm would be a good idea. Well it's fortunate that I thought to bring the wide, because the greenhouse was smaller than I imagined it to be. If I had just brought the FA31 I would have been very challenged to get any shots of him and the plants.

As a result I got a scene shot with the Ricoh.

And a close up flower shot with the FA31 + K-5

Ironically, in this case I might have just been better off bringing the K-5 and DA*16-50 as I thought I had set the Ricoh to a lower ISO but ended up shooting at the ISO1600 I had used for a meeting a day earlier. (Oops!) But at least this is an example of how the Ricoh gives me flexibility when I want to shoot with primes.

Last edited by Urkeldaedalus; 03-18-2011 at 04:39 PM.
03-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The 28 mm is plenty sharp wide open. You've just to nail the focus.

04-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For a story on a local breakfast cook:

04-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's nice to have a camera handy for the little things you notice.

04-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Finally some flowers are blooming.

04-16-2011, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #38
Forum Member

Very nice. Great pics and great thread. Has me thinking of the GXR + A12 now, though I was initially planning on just getting the GRD3 as my compact.
04-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ShowMeTheMoney Quote
Very nice. Great pics and great thread. Has me thinking of the GXR + A12 now, though I was initially planning on just getting the GRD3 as my compact.
Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying the thread. Let me know if you have any questions about the GXR. I haven't tried the GRD3 but I've heard good things about that camera as well.

If you buy the GXR, I recommend looking for it in the package deal with one of the modules. It looks like you can save at least $100 in America by going this route (sadly, I did not take advantage of this )
04-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's a good balanced review of the A12 28 mm unit. I would agree with the author that when you look at it like a super point and shoot it is excellent, but if you look at it like a system camera the GXR isn't quite there yet.

Cristian Sorega Photography: Ricoh GXR Review - A12 28mm
04-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster

All polished up and ready to go.
05-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #42
Forum Member

Keep the thread warmed up for me! I got one coming next week and will try to keep you company ;-) I'm very surprised with the bokeh from a 28mm equiv btw! looks very pleasing, I also ordered the 50mm macro too... but I committed blasphemy :'( had to sell my 31LTD to get the GXR 28mm 50macro and EVF lol it was a used deal which I couldnt let escape - 1/3 off new price... but I better get savin for another 31ltd - missing it already
05-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vincechu Quote
Keep the thread warmed up for me! I got one coming next week and will try to keep you company ;-) I'm very surprised with the bokeh from a 28mm equiv btw! looks very pleasing, I also ordered the 50mm macro too... but I committed blasphemy :'( had to sell my 31LTD to get the GXR 28mm 50macro and EVF lol it was a used deal which I couldnt let escape - 1/3 off new price... but I better get savin for another 31ltd - missing it already
Yes! Finally, another Ricoh GXR club member! And you can tell me what you think of the EVF and the 50 mm unit since they have been tempting me ever since I bought into the system.

That's too bad that you had to part with your FA31, maybe you can pick one up again soon. The good news is that the 50 mm macro unit is the same focal length roughly and seems like no slouch in the sharpness and especially not in the bokeh department. Check out this sample photo :

http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/gxr/img/sample_05.jpg

The 28 mm's bokeh is indeed very nice. That's one of the main reason I was interested in it over the two wide angle lenses (15 mm and 21 mm) from Pentax.

From me, here's yet another food snap. I'll be taking a business related trip to New York soon and am looking forward to taking the GXR with me.

05-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #44
Forum Member

I'll definately post a few photos with the 50mm macro, and let you know abt the EVF. The 50 macro's bokeh looks amazing, I saw this and it just blew me away:

leaf in vienna | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and this, shows how round the bokeh is:

R0010050 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

To me, having to sell the 31mm was a big decision, I feel the 31mm, was a tad too valuable for me, as an amatuer and because I was always scared to damage it - I babied it alot!

So I'm hopin the 50mm macro and GXR will get me out and about with a camera more, due to the lower weight/value. Bonus to me is the 50mm is a macro, unlike the 31mm (which although it focuses close just isnt the same). I like the odd closeup object/flower photo.

Just a few more days wait for me now... I'm already looking at handstraps and cases to 'pimp' the GXR a little ;-)
05-08-2011, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Went to a local Chalk the Walk event. The GXR was almost perfect for this, except for the fact that it was so bright out I couldn't see the LCD screen (going to have to think about getting that EVF). So I did my best as far as framing goes.