Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Does anyone have the EVF that comes with the GXR? I'm going to get either the GXR or the X100. The decision will in large part be decided with the EVF. If it's as good as the EVF for the EP2/EPL2 then I'm going with the GXR.

Thanks for any input. I'm very impressed with the GXR.

05-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Does anyone have the EVF that comes with the GXR? I'm going to get either the GXR or the X100. The decision will in large part be decided with the EVF. If it's as good as the EVF for the EP2/EPL2 then I'm going with the GXR.

Thanks for any input. I'm very impressed with the GXR.
Hey Stanleyk,

I don't own the EVF, as I'm holding off to see if the current EVF will work with Ricoh's M mount module that's coming out this fall before I buy one. From what I've read about it, though, Ricoh's EVF has high resolution and is one of the better ones out there right now from any manufacturer.

Also, if you are planning on just using the 28 mm, there is a 28 mm OVF option that's a little cheaper.

Vincechu says he's going to get the EVF this week so I'm interested to hear from him what he thinks of it.
05-11-2011, 03:21 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Hey Stanleyk,

I don't own the EVF, as I'm holding off to see if the current EVF will work with Ricoh's M mount module that's coming out this fall before I buy one. From what I've read about it, though, Ricoh's EVF has high resolution and is one of the better ones out there right now from any manufacturer.

Also, if you are planning on just using the 28 mm, there is a 28 mm OVF option that's a little cheaper.

Vincechu says he's going to get the EVF this week so I'm interested to hear from him what he thinks of it.
Thanks! Despite all the hype over the X100 I'm really more interested in the GXR. I would probably get the 28 first then the 50. That's pretty much all I ever used with my K1000 so I'm really intrigued with the GXR. I used one recently without the EVF and was very impressed with it.
05-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! Despite all the hype over the X100 I'm really more interested in the GXR. I would probably get the 28 first then the 50. That's pretty much all I ever used with my K1000 so I'm really intrigued with the GXR. I used one recently without the EVF and was very impressed with it.
I would agree. The GXR system is definitely more versatile in both the short and long term, it has faster autofocus, and in general I like the image quality of the GXR better than the X100 from the photos I've seen so far. The Fuji does have that great OVF, an f/2 lens, and better high ISO performance, so it's not like it's a slouch, but it is quite an investment for a point and shoot that can never get better.

Not that I'm against the X100. Actually, I'm happy that Fuji has had such success with it. I'm just a bit disappointed that the GXR hasn't done better since it has so much to offer.

On the EVF, I think that would help with getting better photos from the GXR because you could establish the three points of contact. I'm still getting used to my point and shoot stance after having used SLRs for so long

05-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #50
Veteran Member

I would agree. The GXR system is definitely more versatile in both the short and long term, it has faster autofocus, and in general I like the image quality of the GXR better than the X100 from the photos I've seen so far. The Fuji does have that great OVF, an f/2 lens, and better high ISO performance, so it's not like it's a slouch, but it is quite an investment for a point and shoot that can never get better.

Not that I'm against the X100. Actually, I'm happy that Fuji has had such success with it. I'm just a bit disappointed that the GXR hasn't done better since it has so much to offer.

On the EVF, I think that would help with getting better photos from the GXR because you could establish the three points of contact. I'm still getting used to my point and shoot stance after having used SLRs for so long
I know exactly what you are talking about. When I got an Olympus Pen I tried vainly for a month using just the rear LCD. I guess you just can't teach an old man like me an new way to frame. I ultimately went for the EVF and have never regretted it. Quite frankly it's a joy to use. Surprisingly the manual focus with it is very good.

The fixed lens is the reason I haven't jumped on the X100 yet. I would be perfectly happy with a 28 and a 50.

You have the 50 correct? How do you like it. I can't decide which one to get first. I almost went with the 28 but decided to think about it for a few more days.

On the X100 it does look like a great camera. However the only real benefit I can see it has over the GXR is the built in neutral density filters.

I think there is a lot of excitement about the X100 right now that is probably is a bit of hyperbole.

That said I think there is something to learn from it. There are a lot of people out there who want a simple camera for just for photos. I think this is where Olympus really missed the boat marketing the Pen series.

I have a DP1 and a DP2 which I bought second hand. I do love them, but they are very temperamental. That said there is something really beautiful in their inherent simplicity.

Let me know what you think about the 50 vs 28. I could actually see the 50 as being more versatile. I was very impressed with the images you got from the GXR.

THANKS!!!!!
05-11-2011, 10:25 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know exactly what you are talking about. When I got an Olympus Pen I tried vainly for a month using just the rear LCD. I guess you just can't teach an old man like me an new way to frame. I ultimately went for the EVF and have never regretted it. Quite frankly it's a joy to use. Surprisingly the manual focus with it is very good.

The fixed lens is the reason I haven't jumped on the X100 yet. I would be perfectly happy with a 28 and a 50.

You have the 50 correct? How do you like it. I can't decide which one to get first. I almost went with the 28 but decided to think about it for a few more days.

On the X100 it does look like a great camera. However the only real benefit I can see it has over the GXR is the built in neutral density filters.

I think there is a lot of excitement about the X100 right now that is probably is a bit of hyperbole.

That said I think there is something to learn from it. There are a lot of people out there who want a simple camera for just for photos. I think this is where Olympus really missed the boat marketing the Pen series.

I have a DP1 and a DP2 which I bought second hand. I do love them, but they are very temperamental. That said there is something really beautiful in their inherent simplicity.

Let me know what you think about the 50 vs 28. I could actually see the 50 as being more versatile. I was very impressed with the images you got from the GXR.

THANKS!!!!!
Thanks, I'm glad you liked my images.

I actually only own the 28 mm unit at the moment, and that's what produced all of the photos in this thread. I do agree with you that the 50 mm unit might be more versatile depending on what you are going to use it for.

The 50 mm of course is somewhat wide, and can be used for portraits. Looks to have great, great bokeh and pretty good sharpness. Plus it can do macro, which makes it naturally more versatile than the 28 mm even though the 28 has pretty good close focusing itself. I find myself wishing I had the 50 mm for this reason one every now and again.

The 28 mm is a very good wide angle lens, with great bokeh for a wide angle, good sharpness, and limited distortion and vignetting. I went for the 28 mm because I love to shoot wide and Pentax didn't have a prime that grabbed at my heart in this range enough to buy one. So I bought this lens to slot right into the hole in my lens lineup. I'm going to have to double check, but I think the 28 unit is a pancake lens, while the 50 mm is slightly bigger.

The 50 mm unit is really tempting me, but I already have the FA31 in that focal length, so it might be a little bit of overkill. Instead, I'm thinking of waiting until the Ricoh M Mount unit comes out and then buying a 50 mm lens to use with it, probably from Zeiss or Voightlander, so I can have a tiny combo with both a wide angle and a short telephoto lens for portraits.

Last edited by Urkeldaedalus; 05-11-2011 at 10:34 PM.
05-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Joking around with my friend.

05-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #53
Forum Member

-sigh- depressed - sold my FA31 to fund the GXR, 28, 50 macro and EVF... but the seller changed his mind :'( I can live without the GXR, but I just wish he told me before I sold my FA31, lost quite a bit of money on it - not to mention I'm missing its IQ

I'm still comtemplating a GXR and could buy everything new, just it'll cost 1400 as opposed to the 1000 used that I found, so I might just reinvest in Pentax glass. So I'm looking at the 21mm and either FA/DA-L/DA Limited 35's or the 31LTD again, as they're the closest equivs of the GXR's 28 and 50. decisions decisions lol

back to topic: The rendering of that 28 looks fantastic, I'm kind of getting a '3d vibe' from some of the photos I've seen from it, the 1st one of your frd above has it a little, and the bokehs really impressive, much better than the DA21LTD I'm thinking of.

05-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I mentioned I was going to be taking my GXR with me on a business trip to New York. Well that turned out to be more about business than a trip, so I only took a few photos, mostly from the hotel. Here were two I liked.

05-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vincechu Quote
-sigh- depressed - sold my FA31 to fund the GXR, 28, 50 macro and EVF... but the seller changed his mind :'( I can live without the GXR, but I just wish he told me before I sold my FA31, lost quite a bit of money on it - not to mention I'm missing its IQ

I'm still comtemplating a GXR and could buy everything new, just it'll cost 1400 as opposed to the 1000 used that I found, so I might just reinvest in Pentax glass. So I'm looking at the 21mm and either FA/DA-L/DA Limited 35's or the 31LTD again, as they're the closest equivs of the GXR's 28 and 50. decisions decisions lol

back to topic: The rendering of that 28 looks fantastic, I'm kind of getting a '3d vibe' from some of the photos I've seen from it, the 1st one of your frd above has it a little, and the bokehs really impressive, much better than the DA21LTD I'm thinking of.
Sorry to hear that Vincechu. Maybe the DA21 will be a better fit for you than buying a whole new GXR, so it will turn out to be a blessing.

Now Stanleyk has chosen the Fuji X100 and I am the only GXR shooter still! Alas, will I always be the only member of the GXR club?

The A12 28 mm lens unit really is a great lens, nice shallow depth of field possible, good sharpness, low distortion, great bokeh. If it had the K-5 sensor attached to it I'd have a hard time picking another lens/camera to use most of the time.
07-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bumpity bump for today's news. I hereby retroactively declare this a thread on Penatx/Ricoh forums!
07-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Bumpity bump for today's news. I hereby retroactively declare this a thread on Penatx/Ricoh forums!
You are a prophet!
07-06-2011, 03:34 AM   #58
SPB

Fantastic thread which I am enjoying very much as a K-7 owner, whose seriously now thinking GXR+28mm! One small question, when you take Black and Whites, which I really am thrilled with from this thread, do you set B & W and then continue with that until such a point that you switch back to colour? On my K-7 B & W is done by setting the filter. Is it a similar way?

The orchid shots at 1600 ISO are pretty good!

Best regards,
Stephen

P.S. I downloaded the manuals for the GXR, so I now know that the B&W is done in a similar way to K-7. I love black and white, in some circumstances it looks much, much better than colour.

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying the thread. Let me know if you have any questions about the GXR. I haven't tried the GRD3 but I've heard good things about that camera as well.

If you buy the GXR, I recommend looking for it in the package deal with one of the modules. It looks like you can save at least $100 in America by going this route (sadly, I did not take advantage of this )

Last edited by SPB; 07-06-2011 at 09:16 AM.
07-06-2011, 06:22 AM   #59
Pentaxian

I mentioned I was going to be taking my GXR with me on a business trip to New York. Well that turned out to be more about business than a trip, so I only took a few photos, mostly from the hotel. Here were two I liked.

I thought that I new NYC but I can't for the life of me place this photo. Where you in Bronk or Yonkers?
07-06-2011, 06:42 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter

Great thread, there are a couple of us in Canada who would like the GXR but it's not sold here and cross border warranty is to much of a PITA for me as there is no Ricoh service in Canada. Here's hoping Pentax Canada distributes it come the fall. I too find the m module intriguing, but with the 28 module i could see it being my go to camera most days. lot's of speculation on various threads about possible K modules and others. Certainly your pics tell me it's more than good enough (think I'd want the OVF or EVF though I have a bugger of a time framing from a screen)