Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2011, 07:20 AM   #61
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I too find the m module intriguing, but with the 28 module i could see it being my go to camera most days. lot's of speculation on various threads about possible K modules and others. Certainly your pics tell me it's more than good enough (think I'd want the OVF or EVF though I have a bugger of a time framing from a screen)
I see shortcomings and opportunities here.

CON: An LCD screen isn't EVF let alone OVF. Cams without VF's are chancy to use. A phonecam with a tiny sensor, short lens, and infinite DOF, that's one thing. Getting bird or beast or surveillance shots with a 600mm lens on a VF-less MILC? Totally something else, and not appealing. Will the modules support CIF and SR?

PRO: The Q and M modules are both short register, with Q <10mm and M <28mm. With adapters, Q could take cine lenses, and M could take ALL 135/FF and APS-C SLR and RF lenses. The K module need only be an M module with an adapter. So with just those two modules, the GXR becomes a universal receptor of lenses.

WOW: Just as a film camera exploits different qualities (resolution, spectrum, etc) by changing film, a GXR can support various modules: MF? 3D / Holo? UV / IR / Xray / forensic? Video? Foveon? Ultrasonics? It could be a sensor test-bed. Hack the connector and protocol, and custom sensor modules will appear, I'll betcha.

What I'd like to see: A GXR2 with EVF and open protocols.

07-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #62
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SPB Quote
Fantastic thread which I am enjoying very much as a K-7 owner, whose seriously now thinking GXR+28mm! One small question, when you take Black and Whites, which I really am thrilled with from this thread, do you set B & W and then continue with that until such a point that you switch back to colour? On my K-7 B & W is done by setting the filter. Is it a similar way?

The orchid shots at 1600 ISO are pretty good!

Best regards,
Stephen

P.S. I downloaded the manuals for the GXR, so I now know that the B&W is done in a similar way to K-7. I love black and white, in some circumstances it looks much, much better than colour.
It seems as if you have answered your own question. One more note -- when you shoot in RAW, even with the different image modes on, the GXR produces a RAW file plus a JPEG file similar to the RAW+ function for Pentax, with the JPEG file altered depending on the in camera image settings and the RAW file neutral and in color. I haven't figured out a way to turn this off, so it might do this all the time -- I need to investigate this more. For this reason I tend to shoot in RAW with black and white mode on, and then use the JPEG as a guide to develop the color RAW image or keep the JPEG depending on the result.

If you shoot in JPEG you obviously just get the JPEG result. I don't know why but I've really enjoyed the black and white from this Ricoh a lot, even when I shoot originally in RAW.

Also, as a bonus, Ricoh uses the DNG format for its RAW files just like Pentax.
07-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #63
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I thought that I new NYC but I can't for the life of me place this photo. Where you in Bronk or Yonkers?
I was in Manhattan.
07-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #64
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Great thread, there are a couple of us in Canada who would like the GXR but it's not sold here and cross border warranty is to much of a PITA for me as there is no Ricoh service in Canada. Here's hoping Pentax Canada distributes it come the fall. I too find the m module intriguing, but with the 28 module i could see it being my go to camera most days. lot's of speculation on various threads about possible K modules and others. Certainly your pics tell me it's more than good enough (think I'd want the OVF or EVF though I have a bugger of a time framing from a screen)
Thanks, Eddie. I'm probably going to be picking up the EVF here soon (been waiting to hear if it will work with the M module) so I'll let you know how that works. Sorry to hear that Ricoh's availability in Canada isn't very good. Hopefully that will change!

07-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #65
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
What I'd like to see: A GXR2 with EVF and open protocols.
Are you talking about a new GXR body with a built in EVF? I agree that would be nice, even if I would have to buy a new GXR body
07-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #66
SPB
Senior Member
SPB's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zug
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 132
Yes I saw that Raw+ basically like the Pentax. But I love that Raw can be shot in B&W, because that is what attracting me to the GXR. I want to have a second compact body. The 28mm, is wider than my Pentax 21mm after the 1.5 upscale is taken into account. The Ricoh could therefore become my main camera in some circumstances. Cars in streets for example. As you see on my website, mostly taken with the 21mm.

I almost always use RAW. Once or twice I used Green mode, until I realized when I set that, K-7 switches to jpg only.

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
It seems as if you have answered your own question. One more note -- when you shoot in RAW, even with the different image modes on, the GXR produces a RAW file plus a JPEG file similar to the RAW+ function for Pentax, with the JPEG file altered depending on the in camera image settings and the RAW file neutral and in color. I haven't figured out a way to turn this off, so it might do this all the time -- I need to investigate this more. For this reason I tend to shoot in RAW with black and white mode on, and then use the JPEG as a guide to develop the color RAW image or keep the JPEG depending on the result.

If you shoot in JPEG you obviously just get the JPEG result. I don't know why but I've really enjoyed the black and white from this Ricoh a lot, even when I shoot originally in RAW.

Also, as a bonus, Ricoh uses the DNG format for its RAW files just like Pentax.
07-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,261
The B/W is one of the big appeals of many of the Ricoh cameras. Of all the brands for some reason they seem to have really nailed it (yet another reason i want this setup)
07-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #68
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Are you talking about a new GXR body with a built in EVF? I agree that would be nice, even if I would have to buy a new GXR body
I think that if GXR is to be taken seriously as a lens platform, it needs a VF in-body; and for the various modules envisioned, that would necessarily be EVF, not OVF. We know how difficult-to-impossible is framing a shot with an LCD screen in bright light. An LCD screen bright enough to be visible in cloudless sunlight would be a real battery-drainer. A VF-less camera is OK when framing isn't critical but lousy otherwise. An add-on EVF is a workaround, but also an added expense. Even cheap camcorders manage an internal EVF.

I expect a second-generation prosumer GXR2 with a slightly bigger body, to hold bigger batteries and expanded modules (up to MF-size sensors maybe?), and an onboard EVF. GXR2 would be retro-compatible with GXR1 (current generation) modules. GXR2 would be usable in all light/dark conditions. The EVF needn't be perfect; it's for framing, not minute detail, for which you'd use the LCD screen in critical focusing and studio work.

07-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #69
SPB
Senior Member
SPB's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zug
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 132
Looking forward to my GXR and 28mm
07-09-2011, 07:21 AM   #70
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SPB Quote
Looking forward to my GXR and 28mm
Finally another member of the Ricoh GXR club! Exciting! Let us know what you think of it.
07-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #71
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I think that if GXR is to be taken seriously as a lens platform, it needs a VF in-body; and for the various modules envisioned, that would necessarily be EVF, not OVF. We know how difficult-to-impossible is framing a shot with an LCD screen in bright light. An LCD screen bright enough to be visible in cloudless sunlight would be a real battery-drainer. A VF-less camera is OK when framing isn't critical but lousy otherwise. An add-on EVF is a workaround, but also an added expense. Even cheap camcorders manage an internal EVF.

I expect a second-generation prosumer GXR2 with a slightly bigger body, to hold bigger batteries and expanded modules (up to MF-size sensors maybe?), and an onboard EVF. GXR2 would be retro-compatible with GXR1 (current generation) modules. GXR2 would be usable in all light/dark conditions. The EVF needn't be perfect; it's for framing, not minute detail, for which you'd use the LCD screen in critical focusing and studio work.
I agree that I would be interested in the upgrade that you suggest, but I would point out that the GXR has floundered up until this point partially because people feel (rightly or wrongly) that it is a little too expensive. I'm not sure if adding a more expensive EVF body would help or hurt them in this case. Although maybe it would allow them to discount the current GXR body (already fairly cheap) as a gateway into the system?
07-09-2011, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #72
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Taylor, Texas
Posts: 1,017
I don't think it needs a built viewfinder to be taken seriously. I'm not sure what's meant by that. Steve Huff who is a very good photographer takes it seriously. It's not a DSLR. If you are buying it for that you would be making the wrong purchase. I would also argue though that for what a very large percentage of people do photography for it's more than enough camera.

I'm not being argumentative or critical, but too often people somehow view the GXR or X100 as if they are DSLR's which they aren't. They are very specific and I might add extremely good cameras. But they aren't DSLR's so comparing them to one is kind of pointless. I'm not sure they are the right cameras for a lot of people on this forum.

I frequently see the two camera's referred to as "photographer's cameras" which I suppose is a bit of hyperbole but I do understand that description.

Having used a GXR, I don't think it's too expensive but it has to be the kind of camera you want.

I was just floored by some the b/w images I got from it. Far better than anything I've managed to get from the K5. The X100 might be a little better on color. That's why my next purchase is a GXR.

I do think they will make a Kmount module. It would be the perfect camera for the DA Limiteds.
07-12-2011, 04:53 AM   #73
Veteran Member
uccemebug's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 959
A friend sent me an update from a Japanese blog showing some pics of the M-module on a GRX along with an EVF. Interesting that they've also started something called "GRist" (in the same sense as "everything"ist ~ *ist).
07-12-2011, 06:13 AM   #74
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
A friend sent me an update from a Japanese blog showing some pics of the M-module on a GRX along with an EVF. Interesting that they've also started something called "GRist" (in the same sense as "everything"ist ~ *ist).
Thanks for the link. It's funny how practically I have very little need for the M mount module, but seeing that photo with the GXR + EVF + Voightlander really is weakening my willpower
07-12-2011, 06:26 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,261
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Thanks for the link. It's funny how practically I have very little need for the M mount module, but seeing that photo with the GXR + EVF + Voightlander really is weakening my willpower
and given the ricoh lens pictured is an old K mount Ricoh, no need for a k mount module for us manual shooters just an adapter with the m module (and an adapter for my ltm lenses)
I'm sold
Just bring the damn thing to Canada please
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, digital camera, flickr, gxr, henry, pa, pentax, pm, post, ricoh gr, ricoh gxr, smc
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ricoh GXR-system Full Frame K-mount module RonHendriks1966 Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 60 06-07-2016 06:47 PM
Ricoh GXR/P10 28-300mm Pablom Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 1 08-20-2010 03:29 PM
The Ricoh GXR is no K-mount (yet?) thibs Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 7 11-11-2009 07:53 PM
Ricoh??? FotoPete Photographic Technique 3 03-31-2007 03:11 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:36 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top