Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 193 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
and given the ricoh lens pictured is an old K mount Ricoh, no need for a k mount module for us manual shooters just an adapter with the m module (and an adapter for my ltm lenses)
Interesting, isn't it.
a) I'd not need/want a K mount module at all - between K and SR glass I've got plenty of lenses and good redundancy (except for a ~18mm).
b) I could see this further driving M sales, along with u43

I'm sold Just bring the damn thing to Canada please
I have connections in Japan who could buy the thing in a pinch, but then there's no support and repairs would be hell.

Whoops - looks like this news was already posted this morning.

07-12-2011, 07:14 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I have connections in Japan who could buy the thing in a pinch, but then there's no support and repairs would be hell.

[/URL].
Cripes I could just order from BH or Popflash (who have better kit prices) and get it, but then any issue and I'd have to send it to the US for service which would just be an enormous PITA
So like you I am waiting to see what happens this fall (too bad because if I could get this it would be the camera I would take to Barcelona in October with a couple of K lenses and my 35 2,8 LTM and a rangefinder body for film
Edit - just did a pricing for a 28 kit w/ spare battery, hood,EVF and nice leather body case, shipping etc it would cost less than an X100 w/o the case and hood and spare battery but still dealing with the lack of service

Last edited by eddie1960; 07-12-2011 at 07:24 AM.
07-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Edit - just did a pricing for a 28 kit w/ spare battery, hood,EVF and nice leather body case, shipping etc it would cost less than an X100 w/o the case and hood and spare battery
Well. You know the X100 is overpriced when Ricoh, who are unafraid to charge, offers much more for less! How did the prices stack up against the Yen prices?
07-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Well. You know the X100 is overpriced when Ricoh, who are unafraid to charge, offers much more for less! How did the prices stack up against the Yen prices?
i didn't check the yen but
GXR A12 28 kit
Lens Shade
EVF
Extra Battery
Leather Body case
$1266 USD so about 1223 Canadian as of today (the x100 is still going at 1299 most days)

I sent a query on Ricoh's site about warranty (which is CRIS in the states same as Pentax) and how it would be handled for Canadian consumers who cannot buy locally thanks to lack of distribution. I also asked if there was a possibility it would end up being serviced by Pentax in Canada going forward in light of the purchase, we'll see what kind of answer they post. they have run it through CSA standards so distribution may well be on the way

07-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I see shortcomings and opportunities here.

PRO: The Q and M modules are both short register, with Q <10mm and M <28mm. With adapters, Q could take cine lenses, and M could take ALL 135/FF and APS-C SLR and RF lenses. The K module need only be an M module with an adapter. So with just those two modules, the GXR becomes a universal receptor of lenses.

What I'd like to see: A GXR2 with EVF and open protocols.
Interesting discussion. But i don't want just an M module adapter with most likely manual focusing. Why not a specific K mount module that includes an inbody (in module?) focus motor for the pancake lenses)

Might as well think big. I'd be willing to forego the SR, but lets have the 16 megapixel exemor Sensor like the K5. A low light compact camera - cool
07-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #81
Veteran Member

i didn't check the yen but
GXR A12 28 kit
Lens Shade
EVF
Extra Battery
Leather Body case

$1266 USD so about 1223 Canadian as of today (the x100 is still going at 1299 most days)
Mine comes to Y103,100. As of today, that's $CA1242 / $US1281. But that was only GXR body and A12 28 module and EVF.

I sent a query on Ricoh's site
I should do the same. The more pestering, the more interest they'll note.
07-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Interesting discussion. But i don't want just an M module adapter with most likely manual focusing. Why not a specific K mount module that includes an inbody (in module?) focus motor for the pancake lenses)

Might as well think big. I'd be willing to forego the SR, but lets have the 16 megapixel exemor Sensor like the K5. A low light compact camera - cool
Ha Phil I'd love that, but i understand the M module release. not only does it mine the leica user base with a camera targeted at them, it can adapt to pretty much any mount
no info on the sensor yet on the m module, it could well be the Sony in the kr which is damn good
the problem with a k module is it is limited in it's lens mount compatability which has been the strength for the milc market so far
if it brought new users to the mount in greater numbers than those it would steal from the k5 then it would make sense. I would think it may come out at some point with a K5 sensor, when the K3 comes with the 24 MP sensor Sony has coming out

07-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #83
Veteran Member

I should do the same. The more pestering, the more interest they'll note.
Done. Wrote to both Pentax Canada and Ricoh Canada.
07-12-2011, 11:57 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Done. Wrote to both Pentax Canada and Ricoh Canada.
good idea i will do the same as i had made the inquiry through the main camera site
07-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ha Phil I'd love that, but i understand the M module release. not only does it mine the leica user base with a camera targeted at them, it can adapt to pretty much any mount
no info on the sensor yet on the m module, it could well be the Sony in the kr which is damn good
the problem with a k module is it is limited in it's lens mount compatability which has been the strength for the milc market so far
if it brought new users to the mount in greater numbers than those it would steal from the k5 then it would make sense. I would think it may come out at some point with a K5 sensor, when the K3 comes with the 24 MP sensor Sony has coming out
I've read the M Module mount will have the same 12 Mp Sony sensor that the A12 units have. Don't quote me on that though because that's second hand forum stuff
07-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I've read the M Module mount will have the same 12 Mp Sony sensor that the A12 units have. Don't quote me on that though because that's second hand forum stuff

And I wouldn't be surprised if that's true (lower cost of implementation)
I also wouldn't be surprised to see the rumoured Pentax aps-C MILC being a Pentax Branded version of the GXR released for fall with a K module
07-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #87
Veteran Member

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the rumoured Pentax aps-C MILC being a Pentax Branded version of the GXR released for fall with a K module
Hmm! That would certainly help reduce confusion in the market about their having two camera product lines, one of which shares the copier brand.

good idea i will do the same as i had made the inquiry through the main camera site
Got my response:

QuoteQuote:
Hello Michael

this is not available in Canada. However, if you go to the Ricoh US site (www.ricoh-usa.com)you can get more information on accessing product.
thank you and good luck
07-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #88
Veteran Member

And here's something from Pentax Canada.

QuoteQuote:
Hello,

Unfortunately, we have no plans and/or information to introduce Ricoh GRX modular camera.

Thank you for your interest on Ricoh/Pentax products.

Best Regards,
CSR Imaging Service Team
07-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #89
Pentaxian

I found Misere's GXR review to be very informative. He didn't seem to get on very well with the VF-2 add-on viewfinder.

One definite message to take home from it is to make sure that the firmware versions for both body and lens module is current (i.e., v.1.36 at the moment). It makes a big difference to the AF speed (compared to v.1.18). Ricoh has the latest firmware available for download.

Last edited by Class A; 07-14-2011 at 08:36 AM.
07-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #90
Veteran Member

And here's something from Pentax Canada.
I think companies do limited releases a lot if they are not sure of the product attractiveness. Its like Pentax only releasing the 645D in Japan early, or the release of the full range of colors for the Kx in Japan early. If they wish, Ricoh can play with the release of different modules and the camera shell till they find a winning combination.

Retail must be very frustrating that way, theory is fine, but the rubber doesn't hit the road till the customer carries the product to the counter.