Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2011, 05:44 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Ricoh GXR Club

Hey, I decided to take the plunge and try Ricoh's GXR modular camera system and its A12 28 mm f/2.5 unit to compliment my Pentax K-5, so I will be posting my photos here when I receive that in the mail I hope by Friday. I wanted to see if there were any other Pentax users out there who are either using the GXR or contemplating doing so and want to ask me questions when I get the camera. Let me know if you're out there

02-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Oh man I'm envious. I had a Ricoh GX100 and loved it until it was stolen by some cretin in Rome. I've followed the GXR story closely since it was announced and had hoped to get one. At the end of the day, good video was too important - I now have a Panasonic GH2.

Still, good luck with the camera - looking forward to the pics!
02-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Oh man I'm envious. I had a Ricoh GX100 and loved it until it was stolen by some cretin in Rome. I've followed the GXR story closely since it was announced and had hoped to get one. At the end of the day, good video was too important - I now have a Panasonic GH2.

Still, good luck with the camera - looking forward to the pics!
Yes, the Panasonic GH2 sure seems like the option if you're serious about video. The thing for me is that if I ever do a video I think the K-5's capabilities will be more than good enough in my case. I think it's great that there are so many options, though, and I'd much rather see the M4/3 alliance triumph than Sony (personal bias).

The thing that spurred me into action with the Ricoh is I've always wanted Pentax to release a fast wide prime in the 18-20 mm range. I just don't think they're going to do that any time soon; and if if they do, it's going to have to be really big so the Ricoh will still have its place in my arsenal.

Anything you'd like to see photos of with the 28 mm? I think I'm going to start out playing with black and white since that's part of what Ricoh is known for.

Last edited by Urkeldaedalus; 02-07-2011 at 09:37 PM.
02-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Damn, the camera body shipped faster than the lens. Still waiting

Pleasantly surprised by its size, though. It's maybe a little bit bigger than a Canon G_ series camera. Still, despite being small, it's nicely built with a good grip on it.

02-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

that must be so frustrating - can't do anything with it LOL!

28mm is a good FL for street. Small sensor compact work well for street because of the generous DOF. I wonder if the Ricoh AF with APS-C is fast enough?
02-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
that must be so frustrating - can't do anything with it LOL!

28mm is a good FL for street. Small sensor compact work well for street because of the generous DOF. I wonder if the Ricoh AF with APS-C is fast enough?
I doubt the AF will be that fast, although Steve "Mr. Leica" Huff said the AF on the 28 mm module is much better than the Leica X1, and people have used the X1 for street -- Edit: I see perusing the Internet that some people have complained that the X1 is too slow for street, so I guess I'll just have to see.

Last edited by Urkeldaedalus; 02-08-2011 at 04:37 PM.
02-08-2011, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Here's a DIF found on Flickr. AF has to be something better than horrible.

Ricoh GXR A12 28mm _ 0010861 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

02-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aegon Quote
here's a dif found on flickr. Af has to be something better than horrible.

ricoh gxr a12 28mm _ 0010861 | flickr - photo sharing!

"dif" lol!
02-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Here's a DIF found on Flickr. AF has to be something better than horrible.

Ricoh GXR A12 28mm _ 0010861 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I saw that one when I was doing my A12 research. And he's only got the aperture at f/4.5 so he still had some margin for error. If I shoot at f/8 I imagine it'd be hard to miss if I'm careful.
02-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are some photos of the Leica M module prototype.

ricohclub.net - ?????????? - Ricoh in CP+ 2011 @ Yokohama
02-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Interesting. I don't read sanskrit (or whatever). Is that a full frame sensor? If so, then I'm sure the registration distance of the M mount will adapt Pentax and other brands too, which would make this a hot seller.
02-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Interesting. I don't read sanskrit (or whatever). Is that a full frame sensor? If so, then I'm sure the registration distance of the M mount will adapt Pentax and other brands too, which would make this a hot seller.
No, unfortunately it's going to be an APS-C sensor. I'll be interested to see if Ricoh ever does do a full frame module of any type, as I believe I read awhile back that they might do a 85 mm full frame portrait module.
02-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #13

Hi Urkeldaedalus
I am in the same boat but can't decide which module, I am more (due to $$$) inclined to get :

1)S10 (24-72) +viewfinder+neck strap+ auto lens cap= $883.00
or
2)P10 (28-300) +viewfinder+neck strap+ auto lens cap=$753.00

I will decide in the next couple of days since I just got my TAX return :-)

Looking forward to see your pics!
02-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kaibil1 Quote
Hi Urkeldaedalus
I am in the same boat but can't decide which module, I am more (due to $$$) inclined to get :

1)S10 (24-72) +viewfinder+neck strap+ auto lens cap= $883.00
or
2)P10 (28-300) +viewfinder+neck strap+ auto lens cap=$753.00

I will decide in the next couple of days since I just got my TAX return :-)

Looking forward to see your pics!
Hey Kaibil,

I don't know as much about the GXR zooms, as I was mostly interested in the two primes (the Pentax in me shining through, I guess? ) I think I read they were going to be bringing another zoom module out later this year, something like a 24-90 Aps-C sensor module? I can't find where I read that, though.
02-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So I got the camera late and didn't get to shoot much outside since it's hella cold out, but here are some initial sample photos.

Mr. Angry ball assists me with a bokeh test. Looks smooth to me, with circular highlights

The ice crystals have appeared on our door

I'm liking the Ricoh black and white look.

The size is just a little bigger than your standard point and shoot. So in other words, just a little bit too big to put in a small pocket. A coat pocket would work, though.

The new duo. (Size comparison)