Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 193 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
A few GXR photos from my coverage of presidential candidate Rick Perry when he visited my neck of the woods (location is the Hamburg Inn). It was pretty dark in there, so these photos are ISO 3200.

Last edited by Urkeldaedalus; 09-29-2011 at 10:46 AM.
09-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #167
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Goodbye good tomatoes. Until next year...

09-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #168
Veteran Member

No comment on Rick Perry. :-) I live in Texas so I'll leave it at that.

I got the GXR today. I'm still working on assigning the various buttons/wheels. Wow this thing is incredible. The build quality is excellent. Easily as good as the K5. If this is what Ricoh does, I think their purchase of Pentax is very good for the brand.

I think a Kmount module for the DA Limiteds would be perfect. That's something I could see them doing if there was a way to work around the lack of an aperture ring.

This is a really nice camera. I can't wait to go use it tomorrow. From your lens collection I can see why you like it. I just never need anything longer than the 77mm. I do think the 31 and 77 would be a bit large on the GXR. The 43 would work well though.
09-30-2011, 04:12 AM   #169
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TKH Quote
Dont know whats your point?
I simply wanted to know your impression. Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
This is a really nice camera.
Great to hear. I hope they sell them in Canada some day.

09-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #170
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I simply wanted to know your impression. Thank you.

Great to hear. I hope they sell them in Canada some day.
Yeah, I'm loving it. I could easily see myself not using the DSLR again. The only quibble is the EVF. It's not as good as the one Olympus has with their EP series but it's not bad. But I caveat that with I actually have no issues whatsoever with EVF's. I actually think they are easier to manual focus with than the K5's OVF. But I don't have the greatest eyesight due to my age.

My understanding is the new Sony one is amazing. I was very tempted by the NEX 7. I can see that camera in my future but right now the Ricoh + Fuji is just perfect. I really like the size of the Ricoh.
09-30-2011, 08:04 AM   #171
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
No comment on Rick Perry. :-) I live in Texas so I'll leave it at that.

I got the GXR today. I'm still working on assigning the various buttons/wheels. Wow this thing is incredible. The build quality is excellent. Easily as good as the K5. If this is what Ricoh does, I think their purchase of Pentax is very good for the brand.

I think a Kmount module for the DA Limiteds would be perfect. That's something I could see them doing if there was a way to work around the lack of an aperture ring.

This is a really nice camera. I can't wait to go use it tomorrow. From your lens collection I can see why you like it. I just never need anything longer than the 77mm. I do think the 31 and 77 would be a bit large on the GXR. The 43 would work well though.
I'm a reporter. He seemed like a nice enough guy in person. I'll also leave it at that

I would agree with you that Ricoh and Pentax seem perfect together in terms of their philosophy of making well-built, usable cameras instead of gadgets. My only concern with them is can they keep up with the other camera manufacturers in terms of having all the whiz bang features that people seem to be drawn to? Or will they continue as they have done making well made niche products? I'm interested to see what happens.

I'm glad you're enjoying your GXR so far. There's something about the camera that's just addictive to use.

My thoughts of mounting a K-mount on it were that a 15 mm (if I bought one), 43 mm, and even the 77 mm (it's not that big, hood retracted) would work very well on the GXR body. I would agree with you that the FA31 would be sort of giant on the GXR, but it might be fun to try.

The K to M mount adapters seem to be fairly expensive, though, so I may wait to see what Ricoh does either with a K-mount module or that Pentax Mirrorless that they'll be making (there may be a new mount for that, but I'm guessing there will be a Pentax made K-mount adapter in that case). The 28 mm module in many ways is enough for me.

The only problem with that is that I hate waiting! Plus the M-mount module looks really cool.

Speaking of, Steve Huff has some more first impressions from the module: Ricoh GXR A12 Leica M Mount Module – My quick take…by Steve Huff | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
09-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I'm a reporter. He seemed like a nice enough guy in person. I'll also leave it at that

I would agree with you that Ricoh and Pentax seem perfect together in terms of their philosophy of making well-built, usable cameras instead of gadgets. My only concern with them is can they keep up with the other camera manufacturers in terms of having all the whiz bang features that people seem to be drawn to? Or will they continue as they have done making well made niche products? I'm interested to see what happens.

I'm glad you're enjoying your GXR so far. There's something about the camera that's just addictive to use.

My thoughts of mounting a K-mount on it were that a 15 mm (if I bought one), 43 mm, and even the 77 mm (it's not that big, hood retracted) would work very well on the GXR body. I would agree with you that the FA31 would be sort of giant on the GXR, but it might be fun to try.

The K to M mount adapters seem to be fairly expensive, though, so I may wait to see what Ricoh does either with a K-mount module or that Pentax Mirrorless that they'll be making (there may be a new mount for that, but I'm guessing there will be a Pentax made K-mount adapter in that case). The 28 mm module in many ways is enough for me.

The only problem with that is that I hate waiting! Plus the M-mount module looks really cool.

Speaking of, Steve Huff has some more first impressions from the module: Ricoh GXR A12 Leica M Mount Module – My quick take…by Steve Huff | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
I was just sort of kidding. That said, I would have thought the last Texan who was in the White House would have been enough for a few years. Actually come to think of it LBJ wasn't exactly very popular either so it's definitely not a party thing.

Texas is a great place but I'm not so sure about our politicians. They tend to have large appetites that Americans tire of very quickly. Lloyd Bentsen was a very good man though.

As for Ricoh/Pentax, I can't see them trying to take on Nikon/Canon right away. On the other hand, if I'm happy with a camera, I'm not sure it matters to me what the brand is or how many people are using them. In some ways, a small niche oriented company that appeals to a specific market segment has some advantages. That said, I use about everything but Nikon or Canon. I have Sigmas, Olympus', Pentax's, a Fuji, and now a Ricoh. I love the DP1/2 but they are a real pain to use. If I had to keep only two I would keep the GXR and the Fuji. So my prediction is they will stay more of a niche oriented company if what is not niche oriented is defined by Nikon/Canon.

Good point on the 77. I have it I just don't use it often. I tend to prefer focals lengths from 28-50mm.

I think you might find some of the Russian lenses in M39 are quite good if a bit of crap shoot mechanically. I use to shoot film on them a lot and they can be quite good optically. I would look at the Jupiter 9 and the Helios 44. You can probably pick those two up for less than $200. There's on dealer on Ebay who goes by Kubanoid is very reliable. I think the Mir 1 might have been made in an M39 too.

I read Steve Huff's blog everyday. I like it because it's about photography not wall chart tests which I find terminally boring.

To some degree the whole industry may be in a state of flux right now. I remain unconvinced that the mirrored DSLR format will be the dominant one 5 years from now.

The one thing Ricoh needs to work on is their EVF. It's definitely not as good as the Olympus one.

Last edited by stanleyk; 09-30-2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: terrible spelling....
09-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #173
Veteran Member

You're going to laugh but what sold me on the GXR was the 1 x 1 format. Oh how I wish the K5 did that. I use to shoot Yashicamats. I love the square. It's why I use the EP2 so much.

Sure you can crop, but it's much easier to see it that way first. Plus I really don't like to crop. THANK YOU RICOH!!
10-01-2011, 02:16 AM   #174
TKH
Veteran Member

Little Voigtländer 40mm 1.4 vs. Jupiter 8 Sonnar Shootout.

f 1.4.

f 2.

Voigti.

Jupi.

f 2.8.

Voigti.

Jupi.

f 4.

Voigti.

Jupi.

Both are open very sharp!

Voigti 1.4.

Nokti 2.0.

Rainer
10-01-2011, 04:28 AM   #175
Veteran Member

TKH-

You are making me sad.... Some years back I sold all my Russian camera gear. I sure wish that I had kept the lenses. I will definitely be getting this M mount module. Are you using the EVF with the focus peaking function?
10-01-2011, 05:02 AM   #176
TKH
Veteran Member

Sorry to keeping you sad...

T good thing is that you can buy theses lenses for little bucks again.

Yes, I use 99% of my time the EVF. The only time for the back screen is when I do it the macro way.

The new fokus helps are so useful that its a pleasure to work with.

At f2.8 like here:

My loved FA Limiteds would have had a lot of CAs and other color problems at the ear of the sheep. Now I have to do nothing in that way in the PP.

Last edited by TKH; 10-01-2011 at 06:00 AM.
10-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #177
Veteran Member

T-

I'm about to go on Ebay and see if I can get a Jupiter 9 and a Helios 44. Sigh.................

Have a great day!!

SB
10-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #178
TKH
Veteran Member

SB-

Your old enough...

Yust on the way to bed. Trying to go up very early (for a sunday!) to catch the sun going up tomorrow morning...

Rainer
10-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #179
TKH
Veteran Member

Back from the fields for the hunting of a nice sunrise. At home I find a lot of dirt on the pics.

A withe pice of paper:

Two pads from Green Clean did the first job, but now I m looking for a solution for the future. What would you prefer?
10-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #180
TKH
Veteran Member

Jupiter Sonnar:

Thursday I pick up an old Minolta M-Rokkor 90mm f4. Than I´m complet with 28, 50, 75 und 135mm!