Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 193 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #226
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TKH Quote
Minolta M-Rokkor 90mm f4.
Today we went to a demonstration against facist people how are meeting in our town.

The police in Germany is very clever. They have very nice policewoman to deescalate...

Rainer
The lady cop in the second to last pic is kind of hot Maybe its her scowl and baton...

03-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #227
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I think you would find the GXR a lot of fun, especially if you like the Fuji. I'm not sure what it is about the camera, but in my experience it makes you want to go shoot with it. It may not be a class leader in specs (although the IQ for the size is still really good), but it's just a joy to use for the most part. When I want to do work I use my Pentax stuff, but when I'm going somewhere and don't want the bulk the GXR is a great choice.
My thoughts exactly. GXR users seem to be having fun. But maybe it is the 'grass looking greener.' I have thought about the X100 too. I am not sure though with the 35mm fl though. The 50 mm might be a better starting point and then if the K mount becomes available use some of my Pentax glass. I definitely feel like streamlining my gear and get to a simpler set of gear that I know well.

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
The GXR is an awesome camera. As far as the specs go the IQ is really great. Highly recommended.
Well you know I have you to thank for the X10! I am tempted. I wish I knew more about the direction Pentax/ Ricoh was headed with the GXR. I hope that the Zoom released recently signifies that they are going to stay with the GXR concept. Perhaps if they come out with a 16MP K mount with the K5 sensor It would push me over the edge. But then there is the K01. Oh the decisions...
I was a diehard Pentaxian for years.

I bought the GXR.

I sold all my Pentax stuff.

I miss nothing.

Happy,
Rainer
Wow! That does speak loudly to me. I guess I have become a Pentax fanboy (a little) and wonder if I could make a break. I do love my limiteds. Honestly, I thought the same thing with my Fuji X10. But, I knew that the smaller sensor would always leave me wanting an APS-c sensor. LOL I sound similar to those wedded to the the FF sensors. I wonder if the GXR with the 50 +/- the 28 could satisfy.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
I'm indeed a Ricohian from now on but I'm still holding some of the legacy manual lenses from Pentax! I'm also waiting for the K Mount module from Ricoh too, hopefully it will release in time to come. Comparing between DA35 f2,4 +Kx to A12 50mm + GXR, I would said the AF speed on Kx is rather faster than GXR. I'm changing to GXR was mainly due to the light body as compare to Kx. It's too heavy for me when going for holiday with 2 kids. I like the K-01 design but in the end I'm getting GXR, partly was due to the weight of the body too. My lovely Kx body weight ~580, the up coming K-01 ~561 (FYI, there are some happy user of K-01 as of today in Singapore, the stocks were arrived and some are already gotten it in hand), comparing to the GXR ~226 (measurement in grams with battery, excluded lenses) it's really tell a different.

In term of the sharpness of the pictures, I would said both are equally Sharp but DA35 take the lead on the AF focusing lock. Some of the pictures that I took earlier on with the DA35 f2.4:

Thanks for the reply. I love the images. I should have been more clear. I have the DA 35 limited which I think focuses slower then the DA 35/2.4. Regardless of speed, I am with you that I would like a lighter camera/lens combo. If you take your weights and add the weight of a 35 limited and now you are talking some heft. One of my hangups is the cost. I have seen the GXR with 50 mm lensor for $914 online. The K01 is $750 and I have a lot of lenses to choose. Ah but I am back to a heavy body again. I guess I could sell my 35 limited to fund the GXR. I still have my Kx for the 15/43/77.

Thanks everyone for your input. If you have any thoughts let me know.

Mark
03-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #228
TKH
Veteran Member

The 50mm Ricoh is very similar to the Pentax DA35 (except the missing CAs...).

Colors and so on:

You will love it! :-)

Rainer
03-04-2012, 06:30 AM   #229
Veteran Member

The macro on the 50 is super sharp. It's as good as my Nikon 105. Admittedly I didn't do any wall chart tests. The lens focuses a little slower because the macro function. But I was using it and the D700 yesterday hiking with my dogs. To be honest in auto focus it out performed the Nikon. The Nikon is clearly better for manual focus, but......when the GXR auto focus said it was in focus it didn't miss. I'm really surprised this camera system didn't catch on better. I think the big drawback to a lot of people isn't the modules, because lenses as good as the 28 and 50 cost $600 anyway (the build quality on these is extremely high), it's the neutral density filter thing. I will admit it's a bit of a hassle. I'm taking a trip in a couple of days. The only Nikon gear I'm carry is a big long zoom because I'll need it for a few things. The main cameras will be the GXR 50/28 and the X100/X10. All together they fit in the same space and actually weigh less (or at least it feels that way). Plus they are more fun to use. Fun is a big + for me.

03-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #230
MSM
Veteran Member

The 50mm Ricoh is very similar to the Pentax DA35 (except the missing CAs...).

Colors and so on:

You will love it! :-)

Rainer
Looks great. Can you post some head and shoulder portraits? I think if those are pleasing then I would have no choice but buy a GXR. Any regrets with selling your Pentax gear. You can see from my signature that I have a number of lenses. I guess I can keep the Kx with the 15/43/77 and slowly wean off of them.

The macro on the 50 is super sharp. It's as good as my Nikon 105. Admittedly I didn't do any wall chart tests. The lens focuses a little slower because the macro function. But I was using it and the D700 yesterday hiking with my dogs. To be honest in auto focus it out performed the Nikon. The Nikon is clearly better for manual focus, but......when the GXR auto focus said it was in focus it didn't miss. I'm really surprised this camera system didn't catch on better. I think the big drawback to a lot of people isn't the modules, because lenses as good as the 28 and 50 cost $600 anyway (the build quality on these is extremely high), it's the neutral density filter thing. I will admit it's a bit of a hassle. I'm taking a trip in a couple of days. The only Nikon gear I'm carry is a big long zoom because I'll need it for a few things. The main cameras will be the GXR 50/28 and the X100/X10. All together they fit in the same space and actually weigh less (or at least it feels that way). Plus they are more fun to use. Fun is a big + for me.
What is the issue with the Neutral Density filter? I love your set up ( though my wife doesn't ) sans the Nikon.
03-04-2012, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #231
TKH
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Can you post some head and shoulder portraits?
Enough head and shoulder?

Rainer
03-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #232
MSM
Veteran Member

Cute. Thanks for the post. What ISO ? It looks fairly dark indoors. My little baby days are over. But they are sweet memories!

03-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #233
Veteran Member

GXR 50mm module this afternoon at the lake.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GXR A12  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GXR A12  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GXR A12  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GXR A12  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GXR A12  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GXR A12  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GXR A12  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GXR A12  Photo 
03-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #234
MSM
Veteran Member

Nice shots Steve. My Internet is down so I am on my iPhone. It is of course hard to get a good look. I will try tomorrow at work. I went back and read the note you sent me and remembered the issue with the ND filters you mentioned. Thanks to everyone here for your valuable input. That's what I love about this site. Mark
03-05-2012, 04:42 AM   #235
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Nice shots Steve. My Internet is down so I am on my iPhone. It is of course hard to get a good look. I will try tomorrow at work. I went back and read the note you sent me and remembered the issue with the ND filters you mentioned. Thanks to everyone here for your valuable input. That's what I love about this site. Mark
I have a .3 and a .6. However if you are shooting in low light or indoors you don't need them. The camera is very good up to ISO 1600. Almost as good as Fuji. I now live in a rural area and have three dogs so most of my photography is just done walking around with them. Between the dogs and helping out Dad with Mom who has Alzheimer's I don't have a lot of time. The size of the GXR and/or Fuji comes in handy when you are walking 2-3 hours with three miscreant dogs in tow.

The build quality on the GXR is really good. I'd even rate above the Fuji. The focus is very accurate. The 28 is much faster than the 50, but the 50 is a macro so it's a bit of a compromise like most cameras. I find using the ND filters not to be too much trouble given that I'm not carrying a huge camera. Honestly, I usually take it and X100 or X10. The whole thing fits in a really small bag by Fstop gear (great bags by the way). I can print them at 12 x 18 (or my favorite 11 x 11) and can't see any difference between it and a Nikon D700 (and that camera is a load). I do wish they would make a portrait length lens for it.
03-05-2012, 04:43 AM   #236
Veteran Member

TKH- What lens/fstop on that portrait? Great photo!!!!
03-05-2012, 05:18 AM   #237
TKH
Veteran Member

Hmh.
Was A12 50mm f2.5 and I think Iso800.

Rainer
03-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #238
Veteran Member

Do you guys know if there is anything in work of Ricoh releasing a lensor in the 10-15mm range? I would love get a GXR if there was a wide angle option.
03-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #239
MSM
Veteran Member

I have a .3 and a .6. However if you are shooting in low light or indoors you don't need them. The camera is very good up to ISO 1600. Almost as good as Fuji. I now live in a rural area and have three dogs so most of my photography is just done walking around with them. Between the dogs and helping out Dad with Mom who has Alzheimer's I don't have a lot of time. The size of the GXR and/or Fuji comes in handy when you are walking 2-3 hours with three miscreant dogs in tow.

The build quality on the GXR is really good. I'd even rate above the Fuji. The focus is very accurate. The 28 is much faster than the 50, but the 50 is a macro so it's a bit of a compromise like most cameras. I find using the ND filters not to be too much trouble given that I'm not carrying a huge camera. Honestly, I usually take it and X100 or X10. The whole thing fits in a really small bag by Fstop gear (great bags by the way). I can print them at 12 x 18 (or my favorite 11 x 11) and can't see any difference between it and a Nikon D700 (and that camera is a load). I do wish they would make a portrait length lens for it.
Wow, if the build is better then the Fuji, then it must be nice. Certainly more than I deserve. Were the filters hard to find? It looks like the 28 and 50 mm are 40.5mm filter size.
03-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #240
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Do you guys know if there is anything in work of Ricoh releasing a lensor in the 10-15mm range? I would love get a GXR if there was a wide angle option.
I'm guessing probably a no on that one. Although with the Leica M Mount module and hopefully the some day arrival of the K-mount module there will be lots of options for that range. I've seen people using the Voightlander 15 mm already. GXR M mount + CV 15mm first shots: Ricoh Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review