Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 573
Thanks kyteflyer and JPT. I think the tones fit nicely. There was a really bad ice storm through a few days prior to my shooting followed by a very cold front that kept all but the saltiest roads frozen.

10-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
Pentaxian
kyteflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,336
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Kyteflyer - The shots of the QVB interior are nice too. It's a very elegant building. I love the GRD for architectural interiors.
Thanks, JPT. I was jsut reminded in another forum (seriouscompacts.com) that I don't seem to be using it much... and I haven't, much, for the last 4 months, EEK. Gotta break it out again soon.
02-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #18
JPT
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,235
I noticed that nobody had posted a review of Ricoh cameras yet, so I just added my review of the GR Digital. Anyone else feel like adding one? Sometimes I feel like the average Pentaxian has no idea how good Ricoh's cameras are.

Going out now and my GRD will be in my pocket as usual!
02-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member
NickLarsson's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,390
how would you compare it against the Sony RX100 ? I'm hesitating between the two but I'm leaning towards the GRD because of its fast 28mm prime and its B/W

02-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #20
JPT
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,235
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
how would you compare it against the Sony RX100 ? I'm hesitating between the two but I'm leaning towards the GRD because of its fast 28mm prime and its B/W
My intial impression of the RX100 was that I didn't like the handling - it felt like a bar of soap. Also, the GRD gives complete control with just your right hand, whereas almost all other advanced compacts require you to turn a control ring around the lens with your left.

Looking at reviews, though, the RX100 is clearly technologically impressive and benefits from its large sensor. It clearly packs a lot of performance into a very small body. I presume that the camera uses software to correct distortion but it has a lot of resolution, so that may not be a problem. Software correction is not needed with the GRD's lens.

This link is pretty old and is about the Canon S90 and the GRD III, but it shows the effect of software correction on corner sharpness.
Canon S90 vs Ricoh GR Digital III: Lens Performance
I'm not suggesting this is indicative of the RX100's performance, but it shows that the fixed 28mm lens on the GRD has some real benefits.
03-19-2013, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #21
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Posts: 80
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
how would you compare it against the Sony RX100 ? I'm hesitating between the two but I'm leaning towards the GRD because of its fast 28mm prime and its B/W
In terms of file quality at 400+ ASA, I would say the RX100 would blow the GRD IV out of the water.

But in terms of handling, it's the exact opposite. The GRD IV is just a real joy to use.

Though I've been toying with the idea of getting an RX100 to pair with my GRD4 (I even ordered a few extra RX100 batteries already) - but I decided to wait and see what the GRD V may bring later this year.

3 from the GRD IV + the Ricoh GW-2 wide-angle adapter, in the streets of Manila:










B&W not in-camera, it was done in post.

I'm really glad I decided to get the GW-2 adapter. It's probably one of the most compact ways to get an f/1.9 21mm EFOV.

Cheers.

Last edited by ShowMeTheMoney; 03-19-2013 at 07:39 AM.
03-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member
NickLarsson's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,390
QuoteOriginally posted by ShowMeTheMoney Quote
In terms of file quality at 400+ ASA, I would say the RX100 would blow the GRD IV out of the water.

But in terms of handling, it's the exact opposite. The GRD IV is just a real joy to use.

Though I've been toying with the idea of getting an RX100 to pair with my GRD4 (I even ordered a few extra RX100 batteries already) - but I decided to wait and see what the GRD V may bring later this year.

3 from the GRD IV + the Ricoh GW-2 wide-angle adapter, in the streets of Manila:










B&W not in-camera, it was done in post.

I'm really glad I decided to get the GW-2 adapter. It's probably one of the most compact ways to get an f/1.9 21mm EFOV.

Cheers.
Great street shots! Thanks for sharing!

I finally opted for the GRD, just received it a few days ago and I'm already loving it

The macro function is really cool since you can go really close to the subjects. And as you said, the ergonomics are great and the lens is sharp even wide-open.

I think it's going to become my favorite camera

Here is my first good shot with it (I'm loving the bleach bypass presets too), SOOC except a little crop :



Last edited by NickLarsson; 03-26-2013 at 06:39 PM.
04-10-2013, 04:50 AM   #23
Pentaxian
kyteflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,336
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Great street shots! Thanks for sharing!

I finally opted for the GRD, just received it a few days ago and I'm already loving it

The macro function is really cool since you can go really close to the subjects. And as you said, the ergonomics are great and the lens is sharp even wide-open.

I think it's going to become my favorite camera

Here is my first good shot with it (I'm loving the bleach bypass presets too), SOOC except a little crop :


That is just beautiful! Well done

04-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #24
Forum Member
Sankon's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 64
Well after wanting a GR21 many years ago, I finally bought my first Ricoh. A very lightly used GRDII, still with box and accessories.

It had the original V1 firmware on it, so I first updated that to v2.4 and then set about reading the 242-page manual and the latest firmware revision addendum. My evenings are very exciting

After much messing around, getting the settings to my liking, I had a play. I know it's something of a cliché in Ricoh-owning circles, but really, the team behind this item clearly understand photographers ! It's as close to "disappearing" as a camera can be. Just me and a great lens. I like how quiet it is. I like how I can switch off the "power on" light - which I have, and disable the AF-assist light - which I have. I like that there is no lens cap. I like that it fits in a pocket. Not a "qualifier-pocket" either, a normal, unqualified, pocket. Perhaps I have finally found the digital successor to my lovely old Rollei 35.

Cue candid rabbit photos, obviously . Handheld ( other hand was sometimes holding a rabbit ) JPEGs, messed with in Aperture. Just snapshots but the quietness of operation was much appreciated, especially when you put something this close to a prey animal with nerves and long sharp teeth. I'm pleased with this lens performance. I am very pleased with the camera handling.

Increasingly, I care less and less about IQ and more and more about handling, feel, and other things you can't easily measure with test charts. Doesn't make for good "forum battles" but having the "winning" technical tool de jour is a.) transient b.) does absolutely nothing for the interest of your photos and c.) doesn't make you happy.

This one makes me happy. Bravo Ricoh. I hope the union with Pentax brings out the best from both of you.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GR DIGITAL 2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GR DIGITAL 2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GR DIGITAL 2  Photo 
04-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #25
Veteran Member
anthony mazzeri's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 312
QuoteOriginally posted by Sankon Quote
Increasingly, I care less and less about IQ and more and more about handling, feel, and other things you can't easily measure with test charts. Doesn't make for good "forum battles" but having the "winning" technical tool de jour is a.) transient b.) does absolutely nothing for the interest of your photos and c.) doesn't make you happy.
I totally agree. If you enjoy using the camera, you will use it more and be more interested in taking photos. I find with the Sony RX100 I have now, I don't use or even carry it anywhere near as much as I enjoyed with the GRD III.
04-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #26
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 33
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Great street shots! Thanks for sharing!

I finally opted for the GRD, just received it a few days ago and I'm already loving it

The macro function is really cool since you can go really close to the subjects. And as you said, the ergonomics are great and the lens is sharp even wide-open.

I think it's going to become my favorite camera

Here is my first good shot with it (I'm loving the bleach bypass presets too), SOOC except a little crop :


Welcome to the GRD Nick!
04-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #27
Veteran Member
chickentender's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,991
All this GR talk has brought me back to the forums en force... I just (like a sucker) preordered the new GR, so these are in honor of it's past (via a GRIII)
















04-17-2013, 03:34 AM   #28
Veteran Member
NickLarsson's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,390
QuoteOriginally posted by perpetual3 Quote
Welcome to the GRD Nick!
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
All this GR talk has brought me back to the forums en force... I just (like a sucker) preordered the new GR, so these are in honor of it's past (via a GRIII)
















Nice series mate!
04-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #29
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 33
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
All this GR talk has brought me back to the forums en force... I just (like a sucker) preordered the new GR, so these are in honor of it's past (via a GRIII)
















Beautiful. It's photos like yours which motivated to purchase the GRD4 in the first place.
04-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #30
Veteran Member
chickentender's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,991
Wow - cheers, both of you guys. Thanks much!b
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
digital camera, flickr, grd, grd3, love, ricoh gr, ricoh grd
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Ricoh 55mm f/1.2 (no Ricoh pin!), Voigtlander 40mm f/2 Ultron feilb Sold Items 4 11-22-2011 07:47 PM
RICOH Establishes PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. Adam Homepage & Official Pentax News 20 10-13-2011 03:31 AM
For Sale - Sold: Ricoh GRD ll (US) TaiChiTom Sold Items 6 03-07-2011 11:46 PM
Any Ricoh GRD/GX users here? johnmflores Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 4 09-10-2009 11:51 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:22 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top