Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #31
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice images. I am really considering buying a GR. I wonder if anyone can post some environmental portraits. I thing the GR would be nice as a walk around and Street, of course. But, I tend to take family and friend shots too. I wonder how much 'distortion' there is being a wider angle lens. Any images, advice and experience is appreciated.

04-19-2013, 04:00 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Nice images. I am really considering buying a GR. I wonder if anyone can post some environmental portraits. I thing the GR would be nice as a walk around and Street, of course. But, I tend to take family and friend shots too. I wonder how much 'distortion' there is being a wider angle lens. Any images, advice and experience is appreciated.
This one has had a bit of processing and was handheld... not exactly what you're looking for but may give you an idea.

Last edited by chickentender; 04-19-2013 at 04:16 PM.
04-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #33
MSM
Veteran Member

Thanks Chickentender. Nice shot and PP. Was that in-camera PP? I've heard the B/W jpegs from the GRDseries were pretty good.
04-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #34
Pentaxian

That one was jpeg processed in Lightroom I'm pretty sure. The b&w in-camera is not bad at all and you can customize it quite a bit. It is of course the raw converted to b&w that gets the press with these cams though, and for good reason.

This is a pretty good (one of several) Flickr group on the GR... you'll find all flavours there, and a good number of portraits.
Flickr: The Ricoh GR Fans Pool

04-20-2013, 01:13 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
I've heard the B/W jpegs from the GRDseries were pretty good.
This is a B&W JPG from straight from GRD III:

It's cropped about 50% to turn it from a full-body shot to a portrait, so from a JPG original the fine hair detail is not as sharp as I would like so it's one of those shots I wish I had shot RAW. But stll the JPG holds the dynamic range shadows under his chin for example quite well.

Compare it to this similar shot from the K-01 shot RAW and post processed B&W. The K-01 APSC sensor is the same as in the new GR so I'm really excited about that.

This is a colour JPG from the GRD III:

And a GRD III RAW image tweaked for a bit of sharpness and level adjustment and a vignette added:

edit - updated image urls

Last edited by anthony mazzeri; 07-13-2013 at 07:08 PM.
04-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
All this GR talk has brought me back to the forums en force... I just (like a sucker) preordered the new GR, so these are in honor of it's past (via a GRIII)
I ordered also. I had a GRD3 and sold it and regretted it since. I'm looking forward to continuing a series about small farms I had started with the GRD3 with the new camera.

Last edited by RyanW; 04-20-2013 at 10:46 AM.
04-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #37
MSM
Veteran Member

@Anthony: Nice series. Wow that 2nd shot. I just wanted to slap my screen. It hurts to look at the mosquito. LOL. The last shot is great, too. Is that a macro function or a crop?
04-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #38
MSM
Veteran Member

One more general question. How long did it take you to feel like you had the GRDx where you wanted it? I guess the options look overwhelming. Sometimes too many choices is not the best.

04-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks, both the mosquito and the dandelion shots are macro.

It can take anything from a day or two up to a few weeks to sort everything out ideally. I found myself moving around and adding/removing items on the Adj menu and function buttons quite a few times over that sort of timeframe until I was happy with it. One thing I don't use is the 3 user-settings presets - I tried but it's just quicker for me to change settings on the fly as I can never remember what's on the presets anyway!
04-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Those are really nice, RyanW
04-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Those are really nice, RyanW
Thanks.
05-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #42
Veteran Member

A few weeks ago I went to see family in the north of France, I brought my K-30 and the DA 21 and took some pictures. Today I was PP'ing one of them in Lightroom and thought "wow this DA 21 is sharp!".
Then when I wanted to use the distortion correction tool, the lens wasn't detected. I checked again, just to realize that it was actually shot with the GRD

05-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
A few weeks ago I went to see family in the north of France, I brought my K-30 and the DA 21 and took some pictures. Today I was PP'ing one of them in Lightroom and thought "wow this DA 21 is sharp!".
Then when I wanted to use the distortion correction tool, the lens wasn't detected. I checked again, just to realize that it was actually shot with the GRD

Beautiful.
05-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Hahaha - nice.
05-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #45
Pentaxian

In answer to the original post there may be few current Pentaxians with a GRD but ask the same question in a few months and I'm sure you will find plenty. My dilemna is whether to go for a GRD(V) or find a cheap end of line GRDIV. I'm bored with waiting for a wide angle prime for the Q, especially given the temptation of a sensor 13 times larger.