Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2015, 07:31 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
Great pics in this thread. Im very keen to get a Grd. Possibly one of the ccd models. maybe its imagination but it feels like the III and IV have gone up in asking price over recent months. Relative to the V.
I have a 3, but I want a 4. Where are you seeing them for sale? I check ebay every so often but never see any at all.

04-18-2015, 12:29 AM   #137
Pentaxian

The iv's seem to appear on ebay, often in japan, every now and then. There are currently ones selling in England, spain and japan but the prices are getting up towards an aussie stock V.

How do you like your III? I have slightly trembling hands so i figure the IS in the IV is the way to go. But i like samples i see from III's. They are also a bit easier to find and cheaper.

Last edited by saladin; 04-18-2015 at 01:06 AM.
04-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
The iv's seem to appear on ebay, often in japan, every now and then. There are currently ones selling in England, spain and japan but the prices are getting up towards an aussie stock V.

How do you like your III? I have slightly trembling hands so i figure the IS in the IV is the way to go. But i like samples i see from III's. They are also a bit easier to find and cheaper.
OK, I guess I need to look more often.

I also have the trembles, but its not as bad using the GRD as I expected.
eg. shot the following from a moving train. 2x trembly stuff

I also got the X100 when it came out and also with that, no issues.

I think its to do with the single focal length. Don't ask me to keep even a small zoom steady without having IS activated.
05-08-2015, 01:32 AM   #139
Pentaxian

Not quite a GR, but i picked up an old GX to tide me over:

the fantastic control layout has definitely reinforced that i want a GRD of some description.

05-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #140
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice! I love the layout and the controls too. I don't know how the GR controls compare with the GRD, one would hope they are much the same. I did notice that Tav has been added to the control dial, but not sure about the software controls.
07-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #141
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I miss my GRDIII at times - totally different vibe from that sensor and it could focus in the dark. That said, the GR(V) certainly has never *genuinely* disappointed me.

Up on the Staircase trail in Western Washington.
12-11-2015, 02:27 PM   #142
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
GR Digital III

Name:  RIMG0165.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  265.3 KB

12-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #143
Pentaxian

Enjoyable thread! Here are a few from my GRD2:

12-14-2016, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #144
Pentaxian

Still got my GRD3. Still bringing it out occasionally. Have to do a lot of spot adjustment in LR to take care of the hot pixels though.

12-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #145
Pentaxian

(And looks like I never posted this one either. So...)

12-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Still got my GRD3. Still bringing it out occasionally. Have to do a lot of spot adjustment in LR to take care of the hot pixels though.

Those are some beauts, Andrew. I sold my GRDIII about a year after picking up the GR - sometimes I miss it. It had a scrappier, more visceral texture to the photos, but still with that very signature GR film-like digital "grain", plus it was quite a bit snappier with the added benefit of phase-detect focus (GR has contrast only).

On another note, I wish I could get in to edit my posts here with all the broken links - I'm finding them in many spots on the forum and I'm certain I've not altered anywhere NEAR as many shots as seem to be broken. Not sure what's going on at Flickr. :-/
12-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
On another note, I wish I could get in to edit my posts here with all the broken links - I'm finding them in many spots on the forum and I'm certain I've not altered anywhere NEAR as many shots as seem to be broken. Not sure what's going on at Flickr. :-/
I'm with you on that. Though I know what's going on with mine: I fiddle with my tags way too much in LR, resulting in constantly broken links.

(And focus is one of the reasons I never sold this thing off: it may not have great ISO range, but it nevers misses focus.)
12-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote

(And focus is one of the reasons I never sold this thing off: it may not have great ISO range, but it nevers misses focus.)
Hear hear. That thing could focus in the near-dark. Was a best friend while I traveled for a year and half. That's really my only complaint about the GR is it will *still* hunt in lowlight at times... It's far better after updates than it was on release, but missing that phase detection really hurts it. I hope they bring it back - if they did it might entice me to upgrade again... in fact that'd likely be the only thing to bring me over.
11-03-2019, 06:29 AM   #149
Pentaxian

Hello from the future. I know this is an old thread, but since the grd cameras are quite old I don't feel like opening a new thread instead. Anyway, just got a grd1 to go with my gr iii

Here is a shot where I underestimated the noise at iso 1600 (how the gr iii has spoiled me)

11-04-2019, 06:37 PM   #150
Pentaxian

Couple of first shots after dark, the GRD is really growing on me.