Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I hope there will be a GXR K-mount module. But I seriously doubt if there will ever be one....
I'm with SOldBear on this too...I just don't think there's enough reason for a current Pentax user to spend $1000 on a body and K-mount module. Not when you can get a semi-pro K5 for $800....

09-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #17

But they have AAless sensor, focus peaking, and EVF: perfect for manual focus.

Imagine: a FF M module, with AF K adapter: you can mount the FF lens or DA lens (in crop mode)... um...
09-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Moving my post from another thread

The original GXR concept was pretty whimsical, but once you start talking about detachable lenses it makes a lot more sense. You should be able to turn around GXR module development fairly quickly. The bus between the chassis and the sensor module abstracts a lot of the communication and control programming. Assuming that the chassis houses most of the high level processing, get the LMU to talk to your chosen imaging sensor and interpret control commands from the chassis into the lens mount's command set and you're done... I'm sure it's slightly more complicated than that , but if you're willing to throw money and engineers at it, not by much. And they released a firmware update in June, so that unit hasn't been completely shut down

And it seems like a slam dunk from a product development POV. It turns the camera business back to their old paradigm of a high quality body bought occasionally, with periodic lens and imaging media updates. Only instead of paying Kodak/Fuji for some new film emulsion, I'm buying a new sensor module directly from Ricoh every couple of years. And for K mount customers, $500 bucks every couple of years to update to the latest sensor on the body they're used to severely undercuts the costs of switching to another brand for some new whiz-bang feature. And it lets you develop a FF option TOMORROW for those that want it, without having to build an entirely new camera. Even if you sell it at cost, or as a loss leader, it shuts up (some of) that bit of noise from the Pentax community.

And the fact is, the typical cost of entry for the "premium" MILC category is right around $1k, which a complete chassis/K mount LMU kit could be brought in for.
09-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A k-mount GXR would make sense if it offered something other Pentax cameras don't, but also wouldn't hurt the sales of the K-5ii. For example, if the GXR wouldn't have SR, but would have a bigger sensor (from extra space due to lack of SR) and aperture coupling for older lenses. That way it would be attractive to a lot of Pentaxians, but also wouldn't cannibalize Pentax sales. Of course, I am just fantasizing here.

09-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #20
ogl
Banned

I don't want K-module. It will be too big. I need some new Ricoh modules.

Last edited by ogl; 09-29-2012 at 07:51 AM.
09-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #21
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I love the GXR concept. I hope they do expand it. I think many can't get past the lens/senor module concept. I think there is opportunity to build a K mount module that meets different needs. Ricoh can build a plain de-crippled K mount with an APS-C sensor and no autofocus, an AF K mount module APS-C, and a K mount FF module +/- AF. All would be priced accordingly. They could all use the same body which allows a camera upgrade path without having to change ergonomics or learn new menu sets. Ricoh can continue to upgrade Firmware as needed. This would provide a lot of flexibility for users.
09-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There was a lot of talk from engineers at photokina hinting that one was on its way, i.e. that this would be the next big thing for the GXR.
But wakashiro said in your interview that there was no such plan at the moment.

09-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Reading between the lines I think he more or less said "Do we look like Nikon?"
09-30-2012, 04:41 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What would blow the door off would be the 645 mount MF module for $3,500.
09-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #25
ogl
Banned

I'm afraid GXR could lose the compactness with such module.
09-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #26
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Ogl, do you have a GXR? What's your thoughts? I'm tempted to pick up a used one if I can find it cheap enough.
09-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Reading between the lines I think he more or less said "Do we look like Nikon?"
No. He said it pretty much out loud that there is no such plan at the moment. Really.
09-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #28

no K module...

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
No. He said it pretty much out loud that there is no such plan at the moment. Really.
As a consumer, it should not matter if a K module is developed or not... but it does.

I can get the wonderful novoflex K to Leica M adapter and use DA and FA lenses with my GXR.

I am looking for AF so I can migrate from my manual focus lenses. It is just too much work for my aging eyes. Looking at quality and size, I am very attracted to the DA Limited lenses. I am also very attracted to the size, quality, and ergonomics of my GXR. So I ask for a product that would fit with the system design of my GXR, would benefit the corporate goals of Ricoh-Pentax (sell more products), and give me access to lenses that would work for me.

I could get a K-01 but it does not have a EVF.

I could get a K dSLR, but it that would be much larger and heavier (though not that much larger than the K-01).

I could get a Q, but it does not have an EVF.

I could get a Sony (but the lenses are larger and some are not of sufficient quality)

I could get an Olympus, but that would mean a smaller sensor...

So, I return to wanting a KAF module for the GXR.

(Do I need to find a used KX)
09-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
@Ogl, do you have a GXR? What's your thoughts? I'm tempted to pick up a used one if I can find it cheap enough.
Hahaha.... "cheap enough".....

How "cheap" is "cheap enough"?

I had the same thought about picking up "a used one if I can find it cheap enough." Soon the temptations were so great that I found myself spending $485 for a GXR + A16 24-85mm, $315 for a GXR + P10 28-300mm, $300 for an A12 28mm, $153 for a VF-2, and about $100 for various accessories. I wouldn't call that "cheap."

09-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #30
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL. @SOldbear. Sounds like you got your MBA (Modular Buying Addiction) in a serious way. Did you buy three separate bodies too? I would consider all you mentioned "cheap enough" but I don't know if I would buy three sets. I think maybe the 28 or 50 plus a k mount module if it ever came out.