Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
GXR k mount module

Any word on the K mount module? I just wanted to start the first thread in the new forum

09-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There was a lot of talk from engineers at photokina hinting that one was on its way, i.e. that this would be the next big thing for the GXR.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There was a lot of talk from engineers at photokina hinting that one was on its way, i.e. that this would be the next big thing for the GXR.
Did they 'hint' at the sensor size?
09-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
A full-frame K-mount GXR module? Maybe *that's* what they were smiling about...

09-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The real question here is whether the Ricoh GXR will be taken over by Pentax and will it serve as the prototype for a future (both APS-C & FF) "professional" modular system?
09-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Nah, but A16 would be my guess.

The real question here is whether the Ricoh GXR will be taken over by Pentax and will it serve as the prototype for a future (both APS-C & FF) "professional" modular system?
There "Pentax" is now "Pentax Ricoh." So it's all a question of branding, and I'm sure Pentax-branded cameras will adapt some of the technology from the GXR, while the GXR will continue under the RIcoh name.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That would be awesome!

As long as the aps-c and full frame modules would cost less than a new camera. Whenever I looked at the Leica module I thought that it was a bit expensive for a aps-c sensor with plastic around it (even if it did include micro-lenses).
09-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter

No hints on timing, though, I'm sure. It would be great if they introduced it this year. And please, RIcoh.... auto-focus.

09-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
No hints on timing, though, I'm sure. It would be great if they introduced it this year. And please, RIcoh.... auto-focus.
I could see SDM. But a screw drive? No way.
09-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
this would be the next big thing for the GXR.
Is it a "big thing" for us?
Perhaps if they would add the longed-for stop-down coupler?

Last edited by blende8; 09-25-2012 at 01:48 AM.
09-25-2012, 03:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Is it a "big thing" for us?
Perhaps if they would add the longed-for stop-down coupler?
Seems to me this is the obvious place for a de-crippled K mount. It's going to surely be a manual focus only module due to size, so this is the place for those retro MF lens lovers like me. If they make it FF, de-crippled and Manual only, I would even consider selling my K5 for it... There's your digital K1000...
09-25-2012, 04:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I wonder if this will marginalize the K-01 even more? Although with Hassy aping the K-01 design, in their own upscale way, that might breathe more life into that model line. Anyway, nice to see a section for the Ricoh branded cameras.
09-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I could see SDM. But a screw drive? No way.
You may be right. I am making no predictions. But Ricoh's normal GXR modules with built-in lenses aren't very big and they have auto focus. It seem to me that it's possible to put some kind of ring motor in the mount. I'm hoping but not holding my breath.
09-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I hope there will be a GXR K-mount module. But I seriously doubt if there will ever be one....

Leica M lenses owners are willing to pay almost $1000 for a camera body that can take M lenses because the other option costs much much more.....

But for K-mount lenses, $1000 body + module does not make financial sense. Less costly options are available.
09-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I hope there will be a GXR K-mount module. But I seriously doubt if there will ever be one....

Leica M lenses owners are willing to pay almost $1000 for a camera body that can take M lenses because the other option costs much much more.....

But for K-mount lenses, $1000 body + module does not make financial sense. Less costly options are available.
You have a point here but the key difference could be the inclusion of auto focus. If that doesn't happen then a Sony NEX 6 with a K-mount adaptor might be more attractive. I'm talking about a rangefinder-ish form factor here. If a DSLR form factor is what one wants then there are tons of less-expensive options.