Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2012, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

RF Remote Shutter Release

The GXR (and other current Ricoh cameras) doesn't have provision for wireless remote control. The wired remote control CA-1, plugged into the camera's USB port, unlike Pentax DSLRs, is not simple open/close switch. Instead, it uses electrical pulses (see this page).

I already have a couple sets of Yongnuo RF-602. So I thought of using it to control the GXR.

I bought a JJC remote switch for Ricoh (I'm too cheap to risk a genuine Ricoh switch) and added a 3/32" stereo submini phone jack in parallel with the 2-step switch of the JJC remote switch.

In the photo below, the jack I added is at the "R" of the JJC switch:

The RF-602 receiver is plugged into the newly added jack. It works great, even half press.

Last edited by SOldBear; 10-02-2012 at 11:16 PM.
10-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very cool way of getting a remote shutter release by adding that jack to the regular (after market) remote! Definitely something to keep in mind as I explore the new GXR w/ M Mount. Thanks for posting it. Do you have any pics of the circuit board and where you soldered the jack onto it? Would be a great reference for anyone else wanting to do the same thing that may not have enough knowledge about PCB to figure out where to solder the jack in/on.
10-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK, you asked for it, Arrvon.

(Note that these photos are "after" photos).

The screw holding two parts of the shell of the JJC remote switch is in the battery compartment:

After removing the screw, you can pull two parts of the shell apart. Beware that the small switch cover may fall out and disappear:

Now you can remove the 4 screws holding the circuit board to the top half of the shell (note that the red and the two gray wires are added):

Separate the two halves, drill the hold and install the jack. Make sure there is enough space to accommodate the jack, allowing you to put the shell back together (see the last photo of this post for a suggested location of the jack):

Flip the circuit board over and solder the wires between the switch and the jack:

Put the switch back together.

Last edited by SOldBear; 10-03-2012 at 08:30 PM.
10-05-2012, 04:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very nice. Thanks for taking the time to post this!