10-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #16
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NEX-7
Battery Life (CIPA)
~350 images (with EVF)
~430 images (with rear LCD)

One of the main problem of GXR with KAF module (screw drive) will be power consumption.
Such module will be absolutely useless. The battery will run out almost immediately .
I can't expeсt even 40-50 images...

There are other problems which I've mentioned above...

Last edited by ogl; 10-10-2012 at 10:44 AM.
10-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
NEX-7
Battery Life (CIPA)
~350 images (with EVF)
~430 images (with rear LCD)

One of the main problem of GXR with KAF module (screw drive) will be power consumption.
Such module will be absolutely useless. The battery will run out almost immediately .
I can't expext even 40-50 images...

There are other problems which I've mentioned above...
Quite possibly. We dont know what the actual power consumption will be. I suspect it would be closer to the K-01. For me, 350 images would be fine. When I shoot with the GXR, EVF is on, LCD is off, and I am quite pleased.

The issue is that the module does not exist today. If it did, we would let the market decide if it was successful or not. I would probably buy one, you will not.

If there was a reasonable alternative that was compact and fast, say a K-01 with an integrated EVF, a modern digital Pentax ME or Spotmatic, then we could actually track and survey buyers to find out which was successful and in what demographic.

The issue is that neither camera or module exists.

Look at Olympus. With the original four thirds E camera, there was no support for OM users. Olympus then manufactured and gave four thirds camera buyers an OM adapter for free. They then, with Panasonic, develop the micro four thirds specification and introduce first the new PEN and now the OMD. Both cameras influenced in design by very successful legacy cameras. Leica has done the same with the M8,M9 and now the M.

Pentax needs to do the same with the Spotmatic, K1000 or ME.

I am making the argument for either and hoping such arguments will influence the Ricoh/Pentax community and product managers at Ricoh/Pentax.
10-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #18
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
Quite possibly. We dont know what the actual power consumption will be. I suspect it would be closer to the K-01. For me, 350 images would be fine. When I shoot with the GXR, EVF is on, LCD is off, and I am quite pleased.
I can make not above 160 pictures with GXR + A12 50/2.5.
How can you wait for 350 images with GXR + KAF mount?

DB-90 - 3.6 V 1700 mAh 6.2 Wh

D-LI90 - 7.2 V 1860 mAh 14 Wh

Feel difference, please...

Anyway, Ricoh rejects the possibility of KAF module for GXR. Nothing to discuss.
10-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #19
Pentaxian

As for me...it's no good idea for Pentax Ricoh systems.

Small? IT'S VERY BIG.
What about people who want to use M-mount glass AND K-mount glass with focus peaking? What Pentax camera will fulfill both of those needs?

10-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #20
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
What about people who want to use M-mount glass AND K-mount glass with focus peaking? What Pentax camera will fulfill both of those needs?
There are different types of freaks...I accept their opinion. But I don't like to use AF Pentax lenses in manual mode.

Last edited by ogl; 10-10-2012 at 10:14 PM.
10-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #21

There are different types of freaks...I accept their opinion. But I don't like to use AF Pentax lenses in manual mode.
That has been my point all along. I want a solution to use AF Pentax lenses in AF mode with the GXR or with an EVF in a compact Pentax body.

That solution doe not exist today.
10-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #22
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
That has been my point all along. I want a solution to use AF Pentax lenses in AF mode with the GXR or with an EVF in a compact Pentax body.

That solution doe not exist today.
With future GXR2 - bigger and with more powerful battery (if it ever be) - I'm agreed. But we will lose the compactness.
But now - it's impossible.

Last edited by ogl; 10-12-2012 at 12:50 AM.
11-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #23
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What is the future of GXR? I hope to hear some more information soon. I think Ricoh is missing a big opportunity by keeping its users and would-be users in the dark. I have been interested in a small camera with APS-C sensor. I looked at the Fuji X100 and still may get one but the Ricoh in principle is a better camera due to the options for upgrades and versatility. I just wish there were more info. that the GXR is still going to be supported and new lensors. I too was hoping for an AF K mount. It sounds like it would be difficult if at all possible to build and keep the small size which would be key for me. That being said, I could see making a change over to Ricoh if there was some clear plan/future.

The more I think about it, I could probably get away with just the 28 and 50 module. One question for the GXR users: how is the glass compared to the Pentax Limiteds I am using (see my signature)? I have just become accustomed to some very nice lenses and the h/o Pentax. I have no experience with Ricoh. The images on the net seem nice but you have to factor in people's post processing/alternating the images.

@Ogl: I remember way back when you were critical of the DA 35 mm/Macro Limited. How do you like the 50 mm module from Ricoh? I saw in another post you pined for an 85 mm module. I think an 85 mm (effective FL)/1.4 or 2 would be great but I don't know how feasible it would be to keep small.

Also, any suggestions of where to buy used Lens modules? The Pentax market is great and active here but I don't know for Ricoh. I hate to have to use EBay but that is all I have found.

Thanks,

Mark