Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2012, 04:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
GXR + Kipon k-mount adaptor

Silly question but with a DA lens mounted to the GXR via a Kipon adaptor using a M module, how do u adjust the aperture of the lens? Is the aperture setting automatic on the camera?

10-04-2012, 04:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If you're using a manual adapter there is no way to adjust the aperture on a DA lens. Also, the aperture will be completely closed, which is the standard position of the aperture until mounted to a proper aperture controlling mount (exception being some adapters available for micro 4/3 and nex mount that have a manual lever which can control the aperture arm on DA lenses...not sure if that is available in the mount/adapter you're discussing though).
10-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The adapter he is referring to has control of aperture for DA lenses.
You turn a ring on the adapter to move a lever within the adapter which pushes the aperture lever on the lens, there is no connection to the camera whatsoever. If it is like the third-party K-Q adapter I have, the aperture clicks, but you do not have precise control of it. The Q adapter has maybe 2-3 usable settings (depends on the lens) before the lens is closed down to f/16 or smaller.
10-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes. That's the adaptor I m referring to....seems that da lenses are not the way to go on gxr. Maybe a full manual lenses with aperture rings is more useful

10-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Silly question but with a DA lens mounted to the GXR via a Kipon adaptor using a M module, how do u adjust the aperture of the lens? Is the aperture setting automatic on the camera?
Choose an adpater that has an aperture control ring. Most Kipon adpaters do not.

Look at the Novoflex. One version has an aperture control ring. The Novoflex is built to very high quality standards and, unlike most chinese adapters, will focus to, but not beyond infinity.

Go to the Novoflex web site and they have an adapter selector and descriptions of the versions with the aperture control ring. You want the Leica M version 3 adapter for Pentax:LEM/PENT NT

Novoflex - Adapter Finder
10-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have look into GXR system for K-mount as well.
GXR body + M-mount = ~$1000
Novoflex adapter = ~$290

$1290 for APS-C no AF/no VF camera... with advantage being smaller than DSLR.

It appears a K-01 is more attractive... unless you also have some m-mount lenses around?
If the m-mount module being FF, then GXR it is.
10-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Novoflex adapter = ~$290

It appears a K-01 is more attractive... unless you also have some m-mount lenses around?
As an owner of a few GXR items, I wish there were a K-mount module.

But as I stated somewhere else on this forum, even a GXR + K-mount module (so you don't have to bother with an M-K adapter) for $1000 does not make economic sense. There are better and less expensive options.

GXR + M-mount module makes sense because other options cost much more (e.g. Leica M9).

10-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Novoflex adapter = ~$290

One correction, the GXR has an accessory electronic viewfinder. The GXR M mount works wonderfully with symmetrical design wide angle lenses (most rangefinder wide angles).

The K01 has no viewfinder.

The attraction of the GXR is that you can configure it to be the camera you want to use.

As a GXR owner, I want to transition to a system of prime AF lenses that are compact. I also want to continue to use the controls, GUI, that the GXR offers. Instead of a large DSLR, a GXR module allows me to add those wonder DA and FA limited primes to my system.

I also think that the GXR with a KAF module is a better mirrorless solution for Pentax K users than the K-01 specifically because the K-01 has no eve.

If Ricoh-Pentax would take the K-01, add a built in EVF (styled like either the Nikon V1 or Sony Nex 7) or add a EVF port (compatible with the GXR) then that is a great solution as well.
10-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote

I also think that the GXR with a KAF module is a better mirrorless solution for Pentax K users than the K-01 specifically because the K-01 has no eve.

If Ricoh-Pentax would take the K-01, add a built in EVF (styled like either the Nikon V1 or Sony Nex 7) or add a EVF port (compatible with the GXR) then that is a great solution as well.
How do you want compactness of GXR and KAF module? It's different things.
10-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
How do you want compactness of GXR and KAF module? It's different things.
Yes

That is where the K-01 lost it's way. It is a brick that is hard to hold.

Take the NEX-7. Slim easy to hold camera body. The EMount protrudes from the body as a cylinder.. it appears to be part of the lens barrel when a lens is attached. The lens, barrel, camera mount make a very easy to hold and cradle area.

Put a camera lens adapter on a NEX, it just feels like an extension of the lens or lens mount.

The GXR is the same way. With the M module and small RF lenses, it is very compact. There is very little difference between a M module with a 35mm color skopar attached and the 28mm module. The 50mm module handles like a 50mm Summicron on the M Module. Place a K to M mount adapter on the M module, mount a DA 70mm and the depth from the front of the lens to the sensor will be about the same as the K-01 or a K5, but the GXR body would be slimmer and the adapter would be same diameter as the lens barrel and easer to hold.

If I want ultimate compactness for travel with the GXR, I attach the P10 28-300 small sensor module and I can put the camera in a jacket pocket with an automatic lens cap.

The GXR with a KAF module would allow use of the great, compact body, great ergonomics, great user interface, attachable EVF, and the only compromise is the cylindrical extension from the slim body to the K lens mount. This should be much less bulky than the K-01.
10-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry but how does a novoflex adaptor work with da 70 with no aperture ring? I check out the product website but I m still confused....
10-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Sorry but how does a novoflex adaptor work with da 70 with no aperture ring? I check out the product website but I m still confused....
Novoflex Adapter Finder: Novoflex - Adapter Finder

scroll to near bottom of the page: Note that Version 3 of adpaters for Leica M cameras list three versions for lenses without aperture rings: (Pentax DA, Nikon G, and Minolta Alpha lenses). These adapters have a mechanical linkage from a ring on the adapter to the actuator that positions the aperture from the camera body. If you look at the picture of the Leica, you should note a blue metal ring on the adapter. That is the ring that operates the aperture. You will have a continuously variable aperture between wide open and fully closed. Except at the extremes, you will have an unknown setting. With TTL and aperture priority metering and shutter control, the actual amount will not matter so long as you are content with the depth of field or the set shutter speed by the camera.

For Pentax K you want adapter: LEM/PENT NT
10-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #13
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote

The GXR with a KAF module.... the only compromise is the cylindrical extension from the slim body to the K lens mount. This should be much less bulky than the K-01.
Why do you think so? I think it's no good idea at all...Do you really have GXR?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/200754-pentax-k-01-spe...ml#post2124823
10-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Why do you think so? I think it's no good idea at all...Do you really have GXR?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/200754-pentax-k-01-spe...ml#post2124823
Yes I have had a GXR with P10 for 10 months and the GXR mount for 8 months. I use the P10 when I travel and the GXR mount with OM lenses with Rayqual OM to LM adapter, a 25mm Snapshot Skopar, 35mm Color Skopar, 40mm M-Rokkor, and 90mm M-Rokkor.

The GXR has the best manual focus assist I have used since my OM1. Magnification with focus peaking solves many problems. The Panasonic G1 has a superb EVF, but the screen magnification was awkward to use compared to the GXR. The G1 was much better than the Olympus E-P2 which took 5 key presses to bring up the screen magnification.

As presbyopia has developed, I find it more difficult to manually focus. I find it nearly impossible without my VF2 and focus peaking. I can not hold and operate a camera at arms length. I value small light weight cameras and lenses. The one feature of current dSLRs that I value is the fast phase detect auto focus in Nikon, Canon, and Sony cameras. If Nikon did not cripple the V1 so it does not meter with my current lenses, I would have adopted the V1. It is a fantastic auto focus camera with a juvenile user interface. Sony, with the NEX-6 will have fast autofocus with selected lenses as it now has phase detection in it's sensor. With an adapter for my current M mount or OM lenses I can have one camera for both fast autofocus and still use my legacy lenses.

However, I like my GXR. It is the best camera I have used since the OM1n. The M mount module, with it's lack of AA filter, and micro lenses that correct and prevent chromatic aberration with wide symmetrical focus lenses (like my 25mm Snapshop Skopar or the Voigtlander 12mm, 15mm and 21mm lenses) is superb. I already own the GXR and M Module. I like it's interface. I would like to be able to adopt and use the fantastic DA and FA limited primes. I anticipate that as I migrate to autofocus lenses, I would eventually sell my leica mount lenses.

That is why I look for a KAF module. I am willing to accept the need for a longer extension barrel from the body of a module containing the sensor and shutter to the KAF lens mount. Such a solution would look similar to the GXR Mount with a novoflex K mount adapter. There will probably need to be some increase in size to accommodate the AF motor and Aperture control. There is no free lunch. I think that it would be smaller and easier to hold than the K-01.

There is no need for a K mount module as the M Mount module with a Novoflex K to M adapter works fine today for manual focus. In fact, since Novoflex also makes a K mount to NEX adapter with aperture control, one could argue that for manual focus of DA primes, the Sony NEX, especially the NEX-6, might be the best platform for their use.

The one reason for a RIcoh-Pentax KAF module for the GXR is to implement auto focus.

The DA and FA limited lenses are smaller and of higher quality construction than the micro-four thirds primes. They are much smaller than Sony Alpha lenses or E mount lenses. OM lenses are about the same size, but are out of production and are not auto focus. The APS sensor is larger with more quality potential than a 1" or four thirds sensor. The data suggests an APS KAF GXR Module as the best compromise.

Now if Ricoh-Pentax would produce a compact mirrorless Pentax with a built in EVF (think of a totally redesigned K-01, with EVF, but the body proportions of the classic Pentax ME) the need for a GXR KAF module would evaporate. But Pentax has not provided any support for an electronic viewfinder for the K-01 or for the Q or Q-10. This is a dramatic company failure.

Using current cameras as an example, I would think that an updated K-01 with an integrated finder, could look very much like a Sony NEX with the LA-EA2 adapter (phase detection autofocus adapter for Alpha mount lenses) attached. The original LA-EA1 adapter supported contrast detect autofocus for Alpha SSM and SAM lenses but not screw focus lenses. The Sony 5n support a high quality external EVF, the NEX 6 and 7 have integrated EVF. I would argue that all of the NEX, with an attached LA-EA1 or EA2 are smaller and easier to handle than the K-01. Look how much smaller the NEX with adapter is compared to the Sony APS dSLRS (Alpha SLR 37, 57, etc). The Sony dSLRs are about the same size as the K5 or K30.
Attached Images

Last edited by GXRUser; 10-10-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: update
10-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #15
ogl
Banned

As for me...it's no good idea for Pentax Ricoh systems.

Small? IT'S VERY BIG.

Last edited by ogl; 10-10-2012 at 09:10 AM.