Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter

GXR w/modules in hand

I have been real interested in this guy for a while. The problem is, I have never seen one in a store nor have i seen pictures of people holding it.

I know this is an odd request, but does anyone have any pictures of their GXR + 28mm module in thier hand, or at least a scale picture? And if it's not too much a 50mm module too?

I just dont want to be shocked at its size (either it being real big or small) if I buy one.

Thanks!

03-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I believe this is the 50mm?

03-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks
I don't know if you saw the Henry's deals above, but damn, i think i am sold!
03-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm tempted, but I just bought two freaking watches T_T....

That P10 kit looks fantastic... and then I have the option to wait for the k-mount module to come out in the future... ugh...

03-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Forum Member

The GXR and all the modules except A16 are very compact in size, and the camera itself is quite small, especially with the S10. But it still feels very nice in hand, the grip is surprisingly good. So if you're tempted, just go for it. Now would be the best time in a long time, as you can see from the two recent threads here, right now they're super cheap. Grab yours while the stocks last.

But be warned, despite the 'mere' 12mp of the A12 modules, the GXR system tends to get under your skin. It's quirky, but very nice little mirrorless camera system.
FWIW, if you're planning on buying either of the p&s modules, I'd recommend the S10, even though it has a shorter zoom range. It's smaller, quieter, and the sensor is larger. The photos will look better, and it's actually quite usable, for example, for B&W or high contrast B&W shooting. Unless you're planning to get the A16 as well, which has very similar field of view range as the S10. Personally I'd also recommend the GXR mount module.
03-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EchoOscar Quote
But be warned, despite the 'mere' 12mp of the A12 modules, the GXR system tends to get under your skin. It's quirky, but very nice little mirrorless camera system.
FWIW, if you're planning on buying either of the p&s modules, I'd recommend the S10, even though it has a shorter zoom range. It's smaller, quieter, and the sensor is larger. The photos will look better, and it's actually quite usable, for example, for B&W or high contrast B&W shooting. Unless you're planning to get the A16 as well, which has very similar field of view range as the S10. Personally I'd also recommend the GXR mount module.
Thanks for the info - what do you mean "get under your skin"?
03-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Thanks for the info - what do you mean "get under your skin"?
I just tried to say that nearly all people who have ended up buying a GXR system love it.
It's the kind of system that splits the audience in half; the other half just don't get it, and the other half loves it. I'm in the latter group, and I wish Ricoh will carry on supporting the system, and eventually come up with new body and lensors.

Hopefully with an EVF build in the body, as well as new A16 or A20 units, possibly even a dedicated video unit, with all the necessary connectors. But I'm not holding my breath, though, because the GXR system is a niche product.
03-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Ah ok - thanks for your input. I really like the GXR and would love to own one. Much thinking over it tonight to do.

03-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
MSM
Veteran Member

@JinDesu: I posted in another thread that the deals are gone at Henry's unfortunately. You can call though to reconfirm. I was just told they have no GXR bodies or A12 28 modules. They only have 1 or 2 50 mm. They do have some 'smattering of the S10 kit' but that is it. They only accept paypal from the US. I was told that if I wanted it I had better do it now and still I might not get the order filled. She told me she was seeing a 'negative' inventory which means some that have bought this great deal will get a notice that they can't be fulfilled. (Big Frowny Face. The emoticon didn't do it justice.) I could see getting a 50 mm module and then not getting a body or the kit and having to spend 500$ on the 50 mm. I am sure it would be worth it. But this would be a spur of the moment thing for me.
03-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
@JinDesu: I posted in another thread that the deals are gone at Henry's unfortunately. You can call though to reconfirm. I was just told they have no GXR bodies or A12 28 modules. They only have 1 or 2 50 mm. They do have some 'smattering of the S10 kit' but that is it. They only accept paypal from the US. I was told that if I wanted it I had better do it now and still I might not get the order filled. She told me she was seeing a 'negative' inventory which means some that have bought this great deal will get a notice that they can't be fulfilled. (Big Frowny Face. The emoticon didn't do it justice.) I could see getting a 50 mm module and then not getting a body or the kit and having to spend 500$ on the 50 mm. I am sure it would be worth it. But this would be a spur of the moment thing for me.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thanks for updating me