04-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
But the name "Coolpix" gets me women~
04-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh's internal tests showed quite well that the GR's lens was much better in the corners, so I guess this confirms them. I think the GR has a lot of potential but I hope that sound marketing is employed to help it realize that potential.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I really want the GR. I'm trying to decide whether to pre-order or wait for the first "official" reviews. Ricoh camera prices take a while to come down, don't they?

04-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ricoh GR vs Nikon Coolpix A: which should you buy? | News | TechRadar
04-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #6

Original Poster
Funny, I just asked you something on the street photography thread, and you post on mine.
04-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steppenfuchs Quote
Funny, I just asked you something on the street photography thread, and you post on mine.
Indeed

05-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just created a new thread before realizing this one already existed, anyway, here it is another comparison between this two:

Battle of the 28mm compacts: Ricoh GR vs Nikon Coolpix A ? Ming Thein | Photographer
05-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barbosas Quote
I just created a new thread before realizing this one already existed, anyway, here it is another comparison between this two:

Battle of the 28mm compacts: Ricoh GR vs Nikon Coolpix A ? Ming Thein | Photographer
I'm wondering if those problems with color rendering of reds as pinkish were fixed in later firmware. I haven't seen any other reviewers mention this. It's also not visible in the sample DNG files you can download on imaging-resource. Maybe it was the raw converter he was using? His only other concern was the slow focusing in low light really.

I was and still am excited about this camera, but I decided to cancel my preorder. I was thinking of selling my Sony RX-100 to fund this. Just not sure on the flexibility of a fixed 28mm for a carry everywhere camera. Also, I just love how I can bounce the RX-100 flash off a white ceiling for bounce flash. I even rigged up a mini bounce card for forward fill. Works amazingly well.
05-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
I'm wondering if those problems with color rendering of reds as pinkish were fixed in later firmware. I haven't seen any other reviewers mention this. It's also not visible in the sample DNG files you can download on imaging-resource. Maybe it was the raw converter he was using? His only other concern was the slow focusing in low light really.

I was and still am excited about this camera, but I decided to cancel my preorder. I was thinking of selling my Sony RX-100 to fund this. Just not sure on the flexibility of a fixed 28mm for a carry everywhere camera. Also, I just love how I can bounce the RX-100 flash off a white ceiling for bounce flash. I even rigged up a mini bounce card for forward fill. Works amazingly well.
It turns out one of Ming's readers downloaded the actual DNG's, ran them through another RAW processor, and found no color shift issues.

It was not firmware, but the RAW converter Ming was using. He's since edited the review and should have caught it when he also said that the JPEG's did not show off hues.
05-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The color issues seemed a bit suspect to me given that there appears to be no problem with colors in the GR's jpgs. It makes sense that the real complication is the RAW converter. But the low-light auto-focus issues that Ming was experiencing concern me more. One reason I would buy a camera like the GR is to get good low-light performance in a compact package. So, I too, have cancelled my pre-order. I remain very interested in the GR and may very well still own it one day. The camera isn't going anywhere - it's not even in the stores yet as I type this. And the price will only go down. In the meantime, my Olympus E-PM2 is pretty compact and gets good results in low light with a number of micro four-thirds pancake primes. It'll hold me until we can learn more.
05-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by barbosas Quote

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/ricoh-gxr-gr-series/224138-ricoh-gr-vs-ni...ml#post2379123
So serious master compares cameras in so strange manner....
The exposure is ABSOLUTELY different. In favor of Coolpix A...

I have only one question after such comparision - is there any sense in it?
05-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #13

Original Poster
One more guy on Nikon's payroll...