Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GXR Discontinued?

"The Ricoh GXR camera body, GRX + S10 lens kit and GRX + A16 lens kit are all listed as discontinued. The GXR system was announced in November 2009 but since the modules where the sensor is located are interchangeable, it remains to be seen if Ricoh will decide to upgrade the camera body.

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: Ricoh GXR camera body and two lens modules listed as discontinued | Photo Rumors
"

Ricoh GXR camera body and two lens modules listed as discontinued | Photo Rumors

New GXR Coming? Really interested to see if a K-mount module is the next.

04-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I heard of this rumor earlier, that the gxr was just going away.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
"The Ricoh GXR camera body, GRX + S10 lens kit and GRX + A16 lens kit are all listed as discontinued. The GXR system was announced in November 2009 but since the modules where the sensor is located are interchangeable, it remains to be seen if Ricoh will decide to upgrade the camera body.

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: Ricoh GXR camera body and two lens modules listed as discontinued | Photo Rumors
"

Ricoh GXR camera body and two lens modules listed as discontinued | Photo Rumors

New GXR Coming? Really interested to see if a K-mount module is the next.
I think if there were a K-mount planned, it would've happened long ago.
04-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Finally.

05-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
ogl
Banned

Dear Mr. ***,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The GXR is a camera from our current range and is not discontinued.
We do not have any information about new lens releases for this unit.

I hope that your question has been answered to your satisfaction.
Should you have further questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

When replying, please make sure this email is included.

With kind regards,

Tiago

Pentax Ricoh Imaging Technical Support
05-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Wow...even though I'm not currently in the market for one, I would really hate to see the GXR go because I believe it might be the most unique product Ricoh/Pentax has to offer and a product with the capability of bridging the current world of "DSLR vs MILC"..."FF vs APS-C"..."stills vs video". It's ability to change mounts and sensor could offer a massive amount of flexibility to shooters. With a basic GXR body, a person could shoot with the native GXR modules, switch to another module with perhaps a FF sensor to use their K-mount lenses, switch to another module with a smaller sensor to maximize telephoto lenses, or switch to another module with a sensor maximized for shooting video.
05-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter

If there were a ton of sensor manufacturers, with different sensor configurations along with a ton of lens manufacturers, then maybe the concept could work.

However, that is not the world we live in.

Sensors are controlled by a few companies as are lens manufacturing facilities. Everything else about the GXR can be created by just about anyone.

The gargantuan stupidity of Ricoh to make this product underscores the trouble we (Pentax) are having getting new product into the pipeline. Pentax engineers are probably ripping their hair out as they struggle to educate the Ricoh brain-trust that brought us the GXR.

If I had bought Ricoh, the first thing I would have done is fire the GXR team. Sadly, Ricoh bought Pentax so the Pentax engineers have had to play along.

I struggle to understand the team that would have green-lighted the GXR.

Think about the Pentax ethos. Every lens ever made can be used on a Pentax DSLR. A lens/sensor module is anathema to everything about Pentax.
05-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I struggle in my own company's development organization over similar issues. There is the concept of "Hip/Cool" engineering with a heavy dose of marketing thrown in there, and there are the cold realities of what is technically possible given the business landscape and available resources.

Often, I am labeled as "difficult" because I am blunt in my assessment of what is possible. With limited resources, and with a critical eye, I say "No" to things and it makes me unpopular.

If I comment on bad processes that are attached to the "cool-kids", I am also tagged as unpopular.

So what probably happened at Ricoh was that the "cool-kids" came up with the GXR concept. It was neat, and cool and revolutionary - and a flop.

05-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
It was neat, and cool and revolutionary - and a flop.
They sold out of Mount A12 fairly quickly. I think modules in other lens mounts would have sold out equally as quickly.
05-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I struggle in my own company's development organization over similar issues. There is the concept of "Hip/Cool" engineering with a heavy dose of marketing thrown in there, and there are the cold realities of what is technically possible given the business landscape and available resources.

Often, I am labeled as "difficult" because I am blunt in my assessment of what is possible. With limited resources, and with a critical eye, I say "No" to things and it makes me unpopular.

If I comment on bad processes that are attached to the "cool-kids", I am also tagged as unpopular.

So what probably happened at Ricoh was that the "cool-kids" came up with the GXR concept. It was neat, and cool and revolutionary - and a flop.
Not a flop necessarily as a standalone product. As a concept, not so good. It's simply too expensive to have a module for small sensor zooms and another module for APS-C primes and yet another module for M-glass and other adapters.

Ricoh has always been more attuned to the Japanese/New York/Euro rangefinder crowd than mainstream vernacular photography crowd, and the GXR got quite a good response there. Nevertheless, a small segment of users, so a niche of a niche of a niche, really.