Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Finally an ideal camera i can throw my money into it.....

05-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Does the GR come with a printed user manual?
05-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Bob Quote
Yes, it does IIRIC. I've seen it in the box.
05-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Bob Quote
Mine didn't. On the side of the box there's a list of included items, and a manual isn't one of them. Strange!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Mine didn't. On the side of the box there's a list of included items, and a manual isn't one of them. Strange!
I know that for many a printed manual is nice, but imho, I have never opened up my Kr manual. It's a brick of wasted paper and ink that will end up in the dump.
Adam, I looked at the Sony RX100 and the images from that camera are great, but what draws me to the Ricoh GR series is the interface. I know that there are flaws in it like any camera, but the firmware updates and the customization of direct access controls are almost endless. The Sony RX100 has the issue of a quirky interface. I haven't tried it in person yet, but from many sources, the controls are rather hard to love. The GR from the first one to the V have been praised for it's customization and ability to mold to your needs. Someone compared it to a good pair of shoes, once broken in, it fits like a glove and the controls become instinctive.

I love my Kr but the lack of external controls makes me feel frantic when I am trying to quickly make iso and focus point adjustments for example. I know I could use auto ISO, but I prefer full manual now that I have a better understanding of metering and exposure.

I think I will get the Ricoh GRD IV though when I finish selling all my equipment for life expenses and future exams, I found one for a great price on eBay in Germany. With a two year product cycle, I will be able to catch the GR VI when it's released. I know that I'm sacrificing overall image quality for more external controls but I think the interface and the size make it worth it in the end, isn't photography about the experience as much as the photographic output?

Last edited by theperception2008; 05-14-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: spelling error
05-31-2013, 04:15 AM   #21

lovely images, thanks for sharing
05-31-2013, 04:26 AM   #22
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Mine came with one.
I have also found the AF to struggle indoor or when there wasn't much contrast. Even with the help of the green focus assist focus, it can be a miss
05-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Mine came with one.
I have also found the AF to struggle indoor or when there wasn't much contrast. Even with the help of the green focus assist focus, it can be a miss
That's my experience as well. My GRDiii is much better at low-light AF. That's not to say the GR's is bad, just not nearly as quick when, as you said there's not much contrast - in normal light the GR is noticeably faster (if that's possible). Maybe a software update can address the low light.

Mine came with a printed manual. I don't normally look at them too much, but the GR series systems are so deep that I do peek once in a while. They've changed how the MF works and I couldn't figure it out without looking. After you put it into MF mode from the rear shuttle dial, you adjust focus by pressing and holding the macro button (top position on the circular multi-button on the back) then adjust focus (while still holding the other button) with the front-side dial. Not sure if I prefer this or the old way or the new, or if this can be adjusted. Seems to work just fine though. Bonus is that you still have one-touch access to the WB (which is also new). The WB used to be access via the back shuttle dial menu but has been moved to a one-touch dedicated button in bottom position of the multi-button at back. So much can be customized on these, not sure if this can as I just haven't tried yet, but this is how it is set up by default.

05-31-2013, 05:51 AM   #24
Site Supporter

One new feature (or at least I never came across it on my GRDiii) that I absolutely LOVE is the "One Touch Manual Mode"... which isn't quite what I was expecting from the name. When you are shooting in full manual mode and you press either up or down on the rear toggle (the one normally set to exposure compensation, which it still is except for this 1st touch addition when in manual mode) the cam will attempt to meter and set exposure for your current composition. In the menu you can also adjust the priority for this metering behavior. In essence it acts exactly like the "green button" on Pentax bodies. I find it invaluable for setting a quick "ballpark" exposure very quickly and then being able to adjust from there. Especially helpful if you've suddenly moved drastically dark to light or vice versa. Dig it.
05-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
One new feature (or at least I never came across it on my GRDiii) that I absolutely LOVE is the "One Touch Manual Mode"... which isn't quite what I was expecting from the name. When you are shooting in full manual mode and you press either up or down on the rear toggle (the one normally set to exposure compensation, which it still is except for this 1st touch addition when in manual mode) the cam will attempt to meter and set exposure for your current composition. In the menu you can also adjust the priority for this metering behavior. In essence it acts exactly like the "green button" on Pentax bodies. I find it invaluable for setting a quick "ballpark" exposure very quickly and then being able to adjust from there. Especially helpful if you've suddenly moved drastically dark to light or vice versa. Dig it.
Actually it's already present in the GRD4, I found it by chance the other day while using the manual mode. Indeed it's a kind of green button equivalent
05-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Sounds like I need to pull out the GRDIII when I get home and have a look, eh?

EDIT: *confirmed* - it is available for the GRDIII as well. Perhaps I never noticed since I spend most of my time in Av mode.

Last edited by chickentender; 05-31-2013 at 10:33 AM.