Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Small world. The red headed concert master in the orchestra is Roi! From the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. Lol when were these photos taken?
These were taken on the Labor Day (May 1st) holiday

05-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Nice and thanks for the review!
I guess is a camera worth having ... it got on my Christmas list
I can't wait for that long. Probably will have it as soon as it's available here in Singapore
05-15-2013, 05:21 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My credit card company thanks you for posting this. That's a lot of camera in a little package and you did well with it.
05-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I can't wait for that long. Probably will have it as soon as it's available here in Singapore
Christmas for me ... maybe prices will go lower by then (is a fight between this and the MX-1).
What can I say? I'm a cheap bastard

05-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #20
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Frank,

Great review and pics. I hadn't considered the GR due to the fixed lens, but it is tempting.

What I really want is the MX-1, but I see the LX7 is cheaper and has a hotshoe which would be great for a remote flash trigger. I'd like to hear your opinion of the LX7.

Kevin
05-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
My credit card company thanks you for posting this. That's a lot of camera in a little package and you did well with it.
Hehe, I know what you mean. It's really a very nice little camera which just became my new avatar

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Christmas for me ... maybe prices will go lower by then (is a fight between this and the MX-1).
What can I say? I'm a cheap bastard
I'm sure price will come down by then, but I'd rather spend a bit more to get it now instead of having many sleepless nights

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
Frank,

Great review and pics. I hadn't considered the GR due to the fixed lens, but it is tempting.

What I really want is the MX-1, but I see the LX7 is cheaper and has a hotshoe which would be great for a remote flash trigger. I'd like to hear your opinion of the LX7.

Kevin
Between the MX1 and LX7, I'd go with LX7 (which I did). It has a much faster and wider lens, faster AF, and its easier to use and hold too. Plus a lot more accessories available for LX series cameras including viewfinder attachment which isn't available for MX1 at all. I'd say its a no-brainer.

The only reasons to go with MX1 are its tilt-able screen and retro look. The only reason I sold the LX7 is for the GR
05-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

It's really a very nice little camera which just became my new avatar
It wasn't necessary to tease us

05-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #23
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hehe, I know what you mean. It's really a very nice little camera which just became my new avatar

I'm sure price will come down by then, but I'd rather spend a bit more to get it now instead of having many sleepless nights

Between the MX1 and LX7, I'd go with LX7 (which I did). It has a much faster and wider lens, faster AF, and its easier to use and hold too. Plus a lot more accessories available for LX series cameras including viewfinder attachment which isn't available for MX1 at all. I'd say its a no-brainer.

The only reasons to go with MX1 are its tilt-able screen and retro look. The only reason I sold the LX7 is for the GR
Thanks. I appreciate the advice. Given that the LX7 is under $300 at B&H now, I may have to do it.
05-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks. I appreciate the advice. Given that the LX7 is under $300 at B&H now, I may have to do it.
LX7 $249.99 Groupon

Panasonic DMC-LX7K 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 7.5x Intelligent Zoom Deal of the Day | Groupon

Please send me a Starbucks gift card with some of the money I just saved you
05-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #25
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
LX7 $249.99 Groupon

Panasonic DMC-LX7K 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 7.5x Intelligent Zoom Deal of the Day | Groupon

Please send me a Starbucks gift card with some of the money I just saved you
Awesome. I wonder why I can't find that on my Groupon app?

Anyway, it probably needs to wait. I just pulled the trigger on a DFA 100 Macro. LBA strikes again!

Regardless, I work part time in Parsippany. If we ever get a chance to meet at Starbucks to talk cameras, I'll buy the first shot.
05-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #26
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
From moire and sharpness i think is a "K5iis" like ...I saw moire on the building windows..
So X100 even with firmware upgrades is worse than this camera at AF in low light ? I am considering it because the price of a new GR is similar to a second hand X100
Also the GR have no viewfinder unfortunetly..
I am still between a K5 IIs and a GR..I like to make pictures in low light like caves, moon and stuff..Also i know that with GR i can carry it very easily..The k5iis activates lazy instructions in my body so i may miss shots...
Also i am considering the k-01 because of interchangable lens and more or less portable futures..
Hard to choose....

Last edited by badsykes; 05-15-2013 at 11:48 AM.
05-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by badsykes Quote
I like to make pictures in low light like caves, moon and stuff..
Well, to shoot the moon, either the X100 or the GR are a bit too wide for this.
For low light conditions the X100 lens is one stop faster but it's bigger too.
05-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
It wasn't necessary to tease us

The Groupon deal is just too good to pass I think.

QuoteOriginally posted by badsykes Quote
From moire and sharpness i think is a "K5iis" like ...I saw moire on the building windows..
So X100 even with firmware upgrades is worse than this camera at AF in low light ? I am considering it because the price of a new GR is similar to a second hand X100
Also the GR have no viewfinder unfortunetly..
I am still between a K5 IIs and a GR..I like to make pictures in low light like caves, moon and stuff..Also i know that with GR i can carry it very easily..The k5iis activates lazy instructions in my body so i may miss shots...
Also i am considering the k-01 because of interchangable lens and more or less portable futures..
Hard to choose....
I had some hard time deciding too: keeping the X100 or swapping it for a GR. Since I also have an XE1, the X100 is probably a bit redundant or won't be used as often as I paid for. On the other hand the GR will get a lot use that's for sure, so I'd say GR is a better buy, to me at least.
05-16-2013, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #29

Just been looking as some sample GR raws (dng files) at Ricoh GR Camera Samples - Hands-On Preview and they look good quality when loaded in rawtherapee.

Glad I did not order the X100s as the raw files from this camera simply crash my software when loaded. It would be better if more cameras used the DNG format instead of some proprietary format.
05-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I was sure I would buy a mx-1 to replace my xz-1.. was just waiting for the price to drop a little. Until this little beast was announced ! Now itīs on preorder and I canīt wait!

Yesterday I downloaded those high ISO dng samples to LR4 and they looked gooood . Gonna be nice to have K5 IQ in pocket size. Wide angle should suit me fine since da 21 and sigma 10-20 are my favorite lenses .