Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1018 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2016, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #361
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Washington Olympic Coast, crab boats in the distance, phosphorescence in the surf in the foreground. One of a handful of 5 minute test exposures with the GR that I took to "test my work" after taking a 10 and 30 min exposure of this scene with a tighter lens on the MX with slide film. I'm eagerly waiting to have those develeoped, but in the meantime I did some work on these, and was really quite pleased.

If I had been less sleepy (it was well past 1am by this point) I'd have lowered the ISO, used bulb mode for a true long exposure, and remembered to switch the camera over to RAW capture (I leave it in JPG for film test shots 95% of the time these days) this could have been even more spectacular... But that's what the film images should be, so I'm hopeful this is just a taste of things to come from this scene.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 07-22-2016 at 03:10 PM.
07-09-2016, 06:45 PM   #362
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote

Washington Olympic Coast, crab boats in the distance, phosphorescence in the surf in the foreground. One of a handful of 5 minute test exposures with the GR that I took to "test my work" after taking a 10 and 30 min exposure of this scene with a tighter lens on the MX with slide film. I'm eagerly waiting to have those develeoped, but in the meantime I did some work on these, and was really quite pleased.

If I had been less sleepy (it was well past 1am by this point) I'd have lowered the ISO, used bulb mode for a true long exposure, and remembered to switch the camera over to RAW capture (I leave it in JPG for film test shots 95% of the time these days) this could have been even more spectacular... But that's what the film images should be, so I'm hopeful this is just a taste of things to come from this scene.
Good work! Isn't that phosphorescence something.
I think you did pretty well. That 300 second limit is all good. Another option that I now use is the interval composite, which allows the use of raw files, a cumulative exposure, and short exposures of multiple files to keep the noise down. It's pretty good for star trails too, but no good if there are clouds.

The GR is very handy......personally, I just wish it was 35mm instead of 28, and it would be perfect.
07-09-2016, 07:56 PM   #363
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Good work! Isn't that phosphorescence something.
I think you did pretty well. That 300 second limit is all good. Another option that I now use is the interval composite, which allows the use of raw files, a cumulative exposure, and short exposures of multiple files to keep the noise down. It's pretty good for star trails too, but no good if there are clouds.

The GR is very handy......personally, I just wish it was 35mm instead of 28, and it would be perfect.
Thanks - and it sure is. Conditions were pretty perfect - it'd been a fairly calm sea for 2 days and during the day of this shot the sun beat down for most of it for the first time in several, and then the weather picked up a bit as some larger swells rolled in late at night... And there you have it.
That's the sort of thing I began experimenting with (intervals and stacking) a couple of years ago, but honestly I simply don't have the patience for lightroom and PS anymore these days. I already spend enough time behind a computer screen which is why I think I've steadily drifted back to film images primarily. Particularly if I'm going to spend that kind of time/effort getting a shot, it always feels nicer to have achieved it on an emulsion instead of a screen... Even taking these several on the GR was far less enjoyable if I'm honest, because I spent so much time looking at an LCD which becomes very bright in that sort of darkness, reviewing the images, trying again... and much less time just looking at the actual scene. But all that said, the GR is just a fantastic little gem... I felt as you did regarding 35mm early on, but I'd have to say I've grown to prefer the 28mm (can always crop if necessary) at least for this tiny thing. But if they ever release one in a tighter length in future models, I'd be all ears.
07-14-2016, 05:11 AM   #364
Site Supporter

07-14-2016, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #365
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Thanks - and it sure is. Conditions were pretty perfect - it'd been a fairly calm sea for 2 days and during the day of this shot the sun beat down for most of it for the first time in several, and then the weather picked up a bit as some larger swells rolled in late at night... And there you have it.
That's the sort of thing I began experimenting with (intervals and stacking) a couple of years ago, but honestly I simply don't have the patience for lightroom and PS anymore these days. I already spend enough time behind a computer screen which is why I think I've steadily drifted back to film images primarily. Particularly if I'm going to spend that kind of time/effort getting a shot, it always feels nicer to have achieved it on an emulsion instead of a screen... Even taking these several on the GR was far less enjoyable if I'm honest, because I spent so much time looking at an LCD which becomes very bright in that sort of darkness, reviewing the images, trying again... and much less time just looking at the actual scene. But all that said, the GR is just a fantastic little gem... I felt as you did regarding 35mm early on, but I'd have to say I've grown to prefer the 28mm (can always crop if necessary) at least for this tiny thing. But if they ever release one in a tighter length in future models, I'd be all ears.
One of my favourite memories is digging up shellfish on a summer evening, and having the phosphorescence light up my hands (it made it easy to see where I was digging). No camera, and TBH, that was just fine.

I am also trying to mess less with the post-side of things. I haven't drifted right back to film though, as I will just not get there. I still have a roll of 35mm in my wife's minolta gear from last summer.....

The interval composite is in-camera, btw - I continue to find the GR amazingly well featured, and think this is pretty cool. Well, maybe you are right on the 35mm - if they upped the res to 24mpix, I'd probably have 14mp in 35mm crop mode, and 8 in 47mm mode, and that would probably be plenty.

---------- Post added 07-14-2016 at 09:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
You nailed this one, Phil. Awesome.
07-14-2016, 09:08 PM   #366
Veteran Member

One of my favourite memories is digging up shellfish on a summer evening, and having the phosphorescence light up my hands (it made it easy to see where I was digging). No camera, and TBH, that was just fine.

I am also trying to mess less with the post-side of things. I haven't drifted right back to film though, as I will just not get there. I still have a roll of 35mm in my wife's minolta gear from last summer.....

The interval composite is in-camera, btw - I continue to find the GR amazingly well featured, and think this is pretty cool. Well, maybe you are right on the 35mm - if they upped the res to 24mpix, I'd probably have 14mp in 35mm crop mode, and 8 in 47mm mode, and that would probably be plenty.
I've got a good number of clam digging memories too, though the even stronger ones are early morning crabbing in receding tidepools, or surf fishing for sea perch.

I've known that interval option was there but I somehow had no idea it allowed for compositing in-camera. I'm definitely going to need to give that a toy-with.
07-23-2016, 03:57 AM - 2 Likes   #367
Site Supporter

GR

Last edited by Deimos; 09-09-2016 at 04:43 AM.
08-01-2016, 04:50 AM   #368
Site Supporter

08-01-2016, 07:19 PM   #369
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots, both.
08-01-2016, 10:07 PM   #370
Site Supporter

Great shots, both.
Thanks Clarkey!
08-03-2016, 04:41 AM   #371
Site Supporter

09-08-2016, 12:51 AM   #372
Forum Member

I really like those photos. What is your strategy for these street portraits, do you ask first, or do you shoot first and ask later?

---------- Post added 09-08-16 at 09:58 AM ----------

This is handheld at 0,8 sec. There is a little motion blur, of course, but still its very acceptable for web-sized presentation. Considering the GRs light weigt I find that quite amazing and it's one of those moment when, although I love analog photography, I can clearly see the benefits of digital (and the GR).
09-09-2016, 03:50 AM   #373
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PLC3 Quote
I really like those photos. What is your strategy for these street portraits, do you ask first, or do you shoot first and ask later?
Thanks! A bit of both For the four on this page two were asks and two were just quick shots (the two smoking photos were just quick snaps). Sometimes I just ask and take the photo at the same time? "One photo?" <snap>
09-09-2016, 06:16 AM   #374
Forum Member

Thanks! A bit of both For the four on this page two were asks and two were just quick shots (the two smoking photos were just quick snaps). Sometimes I just ask and take the photo at the same time? "One photo?" <snap>
that seems like a good strategy, at least if you snap without an optical viewfinder. I always feel like I should ask, but first of all it takes courage, and secondly people make all kind of stupid poses and that takes away from the picture.
09-15-2016, 04:37 AM - 2 Likes   #375
Site Supporter