Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #31
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boliston Quote
Just been looking as some sample GR raws (dng files) at Ricoh GR Camera Samples - Hands-On Preview and they look good quality when loaded in rawtherapee.

Glad I did not order the X100s as the raw files from this camera simply crash my software when loaded. It would be better if more cameras used the DNG format instead of some proprietary format.
Totally agree w you on the DNG format. I've been using DNG on Pentax cameras ever since they started to support this format.


QuoteOriginally posted by Pen-A Quote
I was sure I would buy a mx-1 to replace my xz-1.. was just waiting for the price to drop a little. Until this little beast was announced ! Now itīs on preorder and I canīt wait!

Yesterday I downloaded those high ISO dng samples to LR4 and they looked gooood . Gonna be nice to have K5 IQ in pocket size. Wide angle should suit me fine since da 21 and sigma 10-20 are my favorite lenses .
The JPG output from GR is pretty good too, w very good colors and resolution. I won't be hesitating to shoot in JPG w this little camera unless the light condition gets a bit complicated.

05-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,922
Terrific series of photos that really shows off the camera's features and IQ. Cute kids. Thanks.
05-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #33
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
Hey Frank,

As a former Ricoh GXR owner I suggest you play around with snap focus for autofocus as well as the black and white mode, two things that Ricoh was highly regarded for in its small sensor GR line and I found that to be true in the GXR A12 28 mm unit as well. If you get good enough with snap focus the lack of a viewfinder seems like less of a problem, even in bright light.

Speaking of the Ricoh GXR 28 mm, as I expected the image quality from the new GR seems to resemble that quite a bit, but with cleaner images due to the better sensor. Very tempting, indeed.
05-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #34
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Terrific series of photos that really shows off the camera's features and IQ. Cute kids. Thanks.
Thanks. The kids are a bit naughty, and they give me a lot headaches too sometimes. But still they are great kids


QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Hey Frank,
As a former Ricoh GXR owner I suggest you play around with snap focus for autofocus as well as the black and white mode, two things that Ricoh was highly regarded for in its small sensor GR line and I found that to be true in the GXR A12 28 mm unit as well. If you get good enough with snap focus the lack of a viewfinder seems like less of a problem, even in bright light.

Speaking of the Ricoh GXR 28 mm, as I expected the image quality from the new GR seems to resemble that quite a bit, but with cleaner images due to the better sensor. Very tempting, indeed.
Thanks. I'm sure I'd play the snap focus when I get my own GR Now just wait for the stock to come. Hopefully by mid next month.


Last edited by frank; 05-19-2013 at 09:28 PM.
05-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #35
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 61
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Thanks. The kids are a bit naughty, and they give me a lot headaches too sometimes. But still they are great kids
The role of kids and death itself is to make changes and evolution...Nature "knows" that humans tend to develop confort zones like tight containers and by getting older and death itself forces us into to change.....


PS: I am in the kid role at home...I bring "chaos" (perspective and play) in an ilusory "order" made by parents...

Last edited by badsykes; 05-19-2013 at 11:44 PM.
05-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #36
JPT
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,252
Japanese site DC Watch has just posted a review of the GR. This link is to a typically awful Google translation, but there are lots of samples in there.

Google Translate
05-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #37
MSM
Veteran Member
MSM's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Alabama
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 994
@Frank: In the 35 mm crop mode, does the LCD show the 35 mm FOV or 28 mm with crop markers? I think it would be nice to see the action come into the frame.
05-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #38
New Member




Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1
Very nice pics!!!

Franck, where did you get the leather pouch for the RX100?

Thanks!

05-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #39
New Member




Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1
What a bright, happy place you live in, Frank!
By the way, is that reporter lady scratching her crotch?
05-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #40
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by badsykes Quote
The role of kids and death itself is to make changes and evolution...Nature "knows" that humans tend to develop confort zones like tight containers and by getting older and death itself forces us into to change.....


PS: I am in the kid role at home...I bring "chaos" (perspective and play) in an ilusory "order" made by parents...
Well, I think I behaved much better than my kids when I was young

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
@Frank: In the 35 mm crop mode, does the LCD show the 35 mm FOV or 28 mm with crop markers? I think it would be nice to see the action come into the frame.
Sorry I didn't test this feature. Only knew this feature after I've returned the camera Actually it's pretty easy to show the 35mm FOV on full screen instead of cropped one, hope it's the way we want

QuoteOriginally posted by Lartymarf Quote
Very nice pics!!!

Franck, where did you get the leather pouch for the RX100?

Thanks!
Thanks. I bought the pouch from China. It's customized for the RX100 camera, all hand made w/ real sheep leather. I'm so glad that I kept it when I sold my RX100 camera

QuoteOriginally posted by KodakMoment Quote
What a bright, happy place you live in, Frank!
By the way, is that reporter lady scratching her crotch?
Yeah, our city is a very beautiful place, clean and simple. Very good for out door activities when it's not raining.

Sorry I didn't know the last part. Didn't notice, didn't look

Last edited by frank; 05-23-2013 at 12:09 AM.
05-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #41
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 61
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Well, I think I behaviored much better than my kids when I was young
Imo this is because adults need serious facelifts and revisions...I don't think "firmware" will be sufficient here...The core needs to be altered ... )
05-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #42
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by badsykes Quote
Imo this is because adults need serious facelifts and revisions...I don't think "firmware" will be sufficient here...The core needs to be altered ... )
I guess you are right. Can't ask the kids to behave as we used to. Need to adapt to the changes, otherwise I'd have a lot more headaches.
05-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #43
Junior Member
chipvn's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 37
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
@Frank: In the 35 mm crop mode, does the LCD show the 35 mm FOV or 28 mm with crop markers? I think it would be nice to see the action come into the frame.
As far as I remember when tested the pre-production one, when you change to 35mm cropped mode, the LCD will auto show the equivalent FOV of 35mm as well. I've checked my file, in RAW file, the resolution also be auto cropped down to 10.3Mp along with 35mm equivalent FOV.
05-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #44
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
I see that A12 28 has better colours...Maybe, not better, but "more dense". IMO

Last edited by ogl; 05-25-2013 at 10:27 PM.
05-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #45
Junior Member
chipvn's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 37
OGL: we have not had any side by side comparation yet! I think GR color signature is quite similar to K-5 (cause I have not used K-5II/s yet)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
28mm, 50mm, angle, bit, camera, change, converter, crop, digital camera, film, flash, flickr, gr, image quality, images, k-3, lenses, mind, mode, opinion, photos, pocket, post, ricoh gr, shots, sort, time, x100
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Ricoh GR Officially Announced Adam Pentax News and Rumors 210 06-18-2013 01:19 PM
The new Ricoh GR anthony mazzeri Ricoh GR 20 04-29-2013 04:12 PM
Order Your Ricoh GR / GR II! Adam Ricoh GR 3 04-18-2013 10:27 AM
Hands-On Photos of the K-01 from Pentax Singapore User Group creampuff Pentax K-01 299 12-03-2012 08:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:58 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top