Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boliston Quote
Just been looking as some sample GR raws (dng files) at Ricoh GR Camera Samples - Hands-On Preview and they look good quality when loaded in rawtherapee.

Glad I did not order the X100s as the raw files from this camera simply crash my software when loaded. It would be better if more cameras used the DNG format instead of some proprietary format.
Totally agree w you on the DNG format. I've been using DNG on Pentax cameras ever since they started to support this format.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pen-A Quote
I was sure I would buy a mx-1 to replace my xz-1.. was just waiting for the price to drop a little. Until this little beast was announced ! Now itīs on preorder and I canīt wait!

Yesterday I downloaded those high ISO dng samples to LR4 and they looked gooood . Gonna be nice to have K5 IQ in pocket size. Wide angle should suit me fine since da 21 and sigma 10-20 are my favorite lenses .
The JPG output from GR is pretty good too, w very good colors and resolution. I won't be hesitating to shoot in JPG w this little camera unless the light condition gets a bit complicated.

05-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Terrific series of photos that really shows off the camera's features and IQ. Cute kids. Thanks.
05-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Frank,

As a former Ricoh GXR owner I suggest you play around with snap focus for autofocus as well as the black and white mode, two things that Ricoh was highly regarded for in its small sensor GR line and I found that to be true in the GXR A12 28 mm unit as well. If you get good enough with snap focus the lack of a viewfinder seems like less of a problem, even in bright light.

Speaking of the Ricoh GXR 28 mm, as I expected the image quality from the new GR seems to resemble that quite a bit, but with cleaner images due to the better sensor. Very tempting, indeed.
05-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Terrific series of photos that really shows off the camera's features and IQ. Cute kids. Thanks.
Thanks. The kids are a bit naughty, and they give me a lot headaches too sometimes. But still they are great kids

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Hey Frank,
As a former Ricoh GXR owner I suggest you play around with snap focus for autofocus as well as the black and white mode, two things that Ricoh was highly regarded for in its small sensor GR line and I found that to be true in the GXR A12 28 mm unit as well. If you get good enough with snap focus the lack of a viewfinder seems like less of a problem, even in bright light.

Speaking of the Ricoh GXR 28 mm, as I expected the image quality from the new GR seems to resemble that quite a bit, but with cleaner images due to the better sensor. Very tempting, indeed.
Thanks. I'm sure I'd play the snap focus when I get my own GR Now just wait for the stock to come. Hopefully by mid next month.

Last edited by frank; 05-19-2013 at 09:28 PM.
05-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #35
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Thanks. The kids are a bit naughty, and they give me a lot headaches too sometimes. But still they are great kids
The role of kids and death itself is to make changes and evolution...Nature "knows" that humans tend to develop confort zones like tight containers and by getting older and death itself forces us into to change.....

PS: I am in the kid role at home...I bring "chaos" (perspective and play) in an ilusory "order" made by parents...

Last edited by badsykes; 05-19-2013 at 11:44 PM.
05-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #36
JPT
Pentaxian

Japanese site DC Watch has just posted a review of the GR. This link is to a typically awful Google translation, but there are lots of samples in there.

Google Translate
05-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #37
MSM
Veteran Member

@Frank: In the 35 mm crop mode, does the LCD show the 35 mm FOV or 28 mm with crop markers? I think it would be nice to see the action come into the frame.

05-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #38

Very nice pics!!!

Franck, where did you get the leather pouch for the RX100?

Thanks!
05-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #39

What a bright, happy place you live in, Frank!
By the way, is that reporter lady scratching her crotch?
05-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by badsykes Quote
The role of kids and death itself is to make changes and evolution...Nature "knows" that humans tend to develop confort zones like tight containers and by getting older and death itself forces us into to change.....

PS: I am in the kid role at home...I bring "chaos" (perspective and play) in an ilusory "order" made by parents...
Well, I think I behaved much better than my kids when I was young

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
@Frank: In the 35 mm crop mode, does the LCD show the 35 mm FOV or 28 mm with crop markers? I think it would be nice to see the action come into the frame.
Sorry I didn't test this feature. Only knew this feature after I've returned the camera Actually it's pretty easy to show the 35mm FOV on full screen instead of cropped one, hope it's the way we want

QuoteOriginally posted by Lartymarf Quote
Very nice pics!!!

Franck, where did you get the leather pouch for the RX100?

Thanks!
Thanks. I bought the pouch from China. It's customized for the RX100 camera, all hand made w/ real sheep leather. I'm so glad that I kept it when I sold my RX100 camera

QuoteOriginally posted by KodakMoment Quote
What a bright, happy place you live in, Frank!
By the way, is that reporter lady scratching her crotch?
Yeah, our city is a very beautiful place, clean and simple. Very good for out door activities when it's not raining.

Sorry I didn't know the last part. Didn't notice, didn't look

Last edited by frank; 05-23-2013 at 12:09 AM.
05-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #41
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Well, I think I behaviored much better than my kids when I was young
Imo this is because adults need serious facelifts and revisions...I don't think "firmware" will be sufficient here...The core needs to be altered ... )
05-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by badsykes Quote
Imo this is because adults need serious facelifts and revisions...I don't think "firmware" will be sufficient here...The core needs to be altered ... )
I guess you are right. Can't ask the kids to behave as we used to. Need to adapt to the changes, otherwise I'd have a lot more headaches.
05-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
As far as I remember when tested the pre-production one, when you change to 35mm cropped mode, the LCD will auto show the equivalent FOV of 35mm as well. I've checked my file, in RAW file, the resolution also be auto cropped down to 10.3Mp along with 35mm equivalent FOV.
05-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #44
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see that A12 28 has better colours...Maybe, not better, but "more dense". IMO

Last edited by ogl; 05-25-2013 at 10:27 PM.
05-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #45

OGL: we have not had any side by side comparation yet! I think GR color signature is quite similar to K-5 (cause I have not used K-5II/s yet)