Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2013, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine just arrived this morning and I am just as in love with it as I HOPED i would be. Was not let down. The sensor in the gem is just stellar. I can't believe the crop options available on the images from a camera barely larger than my GRiii. High ISO performance is stellar, so the slightly slower lens doesn't mean anything to me anymore. I've only played with it indoors this afternoon for the most part but love it.

This one is on my flickr.... was a fast soft focus but still managed to throw quick and dirty filters on it at about a 75 crop or more.

And these shots attached are all straight out of the GR.

Attached Images

05-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #47
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
@chickentender: The girlfriend is the black cat isn't it ? )
05-24-2013, 01:19 AM   #48
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chipvn Quote
I think GR color signature is quite similar to K-5 (cause I have not used K-5II/s yet)
Yes. I'm sure.
05-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #49
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by badsykes Quote
@chickentender: The girlfriend is the black cat isn't it ? )
Quite the lady eh?

05-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Yes. I'm sure.
Definitely. I'd be hard pressed now to differentiate photos shot with my K5 with 31mm and the GR (except for extreme aperture shots on the 31) unless I looked closely. And that's pretty incredible to me.
05-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lartymarf Quote
Very nice pics!!!

Franck, where did you get the leather pouch for the RX100?

Thanks!
don't know if it's the same but I bought one on ebay, looks pretty similar and fits my GRD

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/New-Soft-Sheep-Skin-Leather-Camera-Case-Pouch-Bag-Cov...ht_4435wt_1398
05-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #52
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@Chickentender: Congrats on the Ricoh GR. Looks great. Can you elaborate on the AF in low light? This seems to be the biggest downside that I have heard. I don't shoot too much in low light. For me I consider indoors with 1-2 lamps on pretty low or say an evening in a nicer restaurant. My K5 can struggle at time in that light too. I am wondering what is consider low light. Is it trying to take night street shots? I guess can you give us a sense at what point the GR struggles?
05-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
@Chickentender: Congrats on the Ricoh GR. Looks great. Can you elaborate on the AF in low light? This seems to be the biggest downside that I have heard. I don't shoot too much in low light. For me I consider indoors with 1-2 lamps on pretty low or say an evening in a nicer restaurant. My K5 can struggle at time in that light too. I am wondering what is consider low light. Is it trying to take night street shots? I guess can you give us a sense at what point the GR struggles?
I second the motion.

I also own a K-5 and this would be a nice kind of upgrade without going to a K-5 IIs. It's either going to be the GR ― if it performs well enough in low light (for night street photography and indoor shootings because I need something "pocketable" ) ― or the more expensive Fuji X100s for me.

It would also be really cool if someone could post some B&W pictures that where processed directly inside the GR.

Great shots BTW and thanks for sharing your first impressions and pictures with us.

05-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #54

You probably already all know about this stuff but it's always fun to have a cute blonde tell you this. (Plus some sample shots and view finder options link)

And a recently posted review/shootout between the GR and the Nikon Coolpix A. They also talk about how the low light AF isn't performing that great on both cameras.

Last edited by Into The Lens; 05-24-2013 at 11:04 PM.
05-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #55
Site Supporter

Sure.... I'll see if can take a bit of time tonight and take the K5 and the GR out on the street (mine is a really well lit street as far as night scenes go with many storefronts and pubs etc) as well as into the restaurants for a real side-by-side focus comparison. I shoot pretty much exclusively (on both) either in Manual or aperture-priority modes and I think a portion of my problem may be the longer minimum focus distance for "macro" on the GR as compared to the K5 or GRDIII (it's longer) ... I'm sure there were a few shots the other night that I should have switched to macro mode, and not doing so in that sort of in-between grey area may have caused at least some of the 'hunting' i exeperienced.
In normal conditions I would say that the GR is actually faster - it is very fast when there is good light. I should also note that I hate, HATE focus assist lights and always disable them (they can ruin a candid photo in heartbeat)... but that said, last night i did a couple quick shots after re-enabling the focus assist light on the GR and it was much more acceptable. This was shooting in a dim room at night with just one table lamp on. It achieved focus without the light but with the assist light on it was far faster.
These are all impressions - i haven't taken the time to really compare anything rigorously, and I'm not really apt to do that sort of thing anyhow - there are plenty of others that love performing very technical comparisons, so I let them do it.
05-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #56
Site Supporter

Here's a handful of quick shots I made two nights ago. I didn't take much time composing or adjusting anything on these as I was just getting used to the camera and talking to my lady and a friend the whole time. They're all straight out of cam, and all were shot to .jpg using the canned "vivid" setting which adds a slight boost to i-camera jpg contrast & saturation. (except for the last shot which *I think* was made using the in-cam bleach bypass filter effect.
Attached Images

05-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #57
Forum Member

I hope you fed the cat ...
05-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #58
Site Supporter

that cat insists 24 hours a day he be fed. there is no real alternative.
05-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #59
MSM
Veteran Member

Thank you Chickentender. Looks great. From your shots I would guess that I would not be shooting in less light.
05-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Congrats Chickentender. Wish I could get one before my big trip w/ the family from this weekend. But looks like the chance is pretty slim since it'd only be available here in Singapore by next week