Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1018 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2018, 05:34 PM - 8 Likes   #646
gbl

Hi all,
my first post here. I love the GRII. Here some pics I took recently.

10-04-2018, 12:09 AM - 1 Like   #647
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gbl Quote
Hi all,
my first post here. I love the GRII. Here some pics I took recently.
Welcome! Wonderful pictures - and I see you have more on Flickr. Some of those from the Calgary Peace Bridge are spectacular.

Keep'em coming
10-05-2018, 01:53 AM - 1 Like   #648
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

A few recent ones from me.

10-06-2018, 06:26 AM - 3 Likes   #649

I'm getting the blank screen when I turn on my daily companion for the last 3.5 years which means it's on the way out sadly. Hopefully it will live long enough till the GRIII arrives.

10-06-2018, 08:39 AM - 3 Likes   #650
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Vonn Quote
I'm getting the blank screen when I turn on my daily companion for the last 3.5 years which means it's on the way out sadly. Hopefully it will live long enough till the GRIII arrives.
Hope your companion will keep going for a few more months, then. You're making some great images with it!

I wouldn't want to be without a GR for long... Here's one from yesterday morning on my way to work.

10-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #651

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Hope your companion will keep going for a few more months, then. You're making some great images with it!

I wouldn't want to be without a GR for long... Here's one from yesterday morning on my way to work.

Thanks. I'm told it's the screen of death and the sign it's about to go any minute. Really could do with the III being released now.
10-07-2018, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #652
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. I'm told it's the screen of death and the sign it's about to go any minute. Really could do with the III being released now.
The problems always show up at inconvenient times, don't they. I'm not familiar with any known issues with the GR (other than the dust, of course), so have no idea of why the screen is dead. It could be some other component than the actual screen, but if it is the screen itself it seems the GR uses the same screen as the GRD 4. If so you could try some canibalising. There's a post touching upon it here: -https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3802564 (not too keen on hotlinking to DPR...)

10-07-2018, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #653
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

A snapshot from today.

10-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #654
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problems always show up at inconvenient times, don't they. I'm not familiar with any known issues with the GR (other than the dust, of course), so have no idea of why the screen is dead. It could be some other component than the actual screen, but if it is the screen itself it seems the GR uses the same screen as the GRD 4. If so you could try some canibalising. There's a post touching upon it here: -https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3802564 (not too keen on hotlinking to DPR...)
I've not heard of any sort of well-known "screen death" either. First I've heard of this issue in fact and I'm on the FB GR group semi-frequently as well.
Certainly a huge bummer though. Could be worth seeking repair.

---------- Post added 10-07-18 at 10:57 AM ----------

A snapshot from today.

I hope this wasn't a failed stream-crossing!
10-07-2018, 11:09 AM   #655
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I hope this wasn't a failed stream-crossing!

It probably came in with the tide. I trust the owner is safe and dry, albeit maybe lacking a shoe
10-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #656
gbl

Why not get another GRII now? The prices are really good right now, new and used. To be honest I'm skeptical the lens of the GRIII will be as good as the one on the GRII. I'm also skeptical that the user interface on the GRIII will be as smooth as the current layout. I hope I'm wrong. But I have a feeling that after the first reviews of the GRIII in half a year or so, the used prices for the GRII will go up.
10-07-2018, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #657
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #658

QuoteOriginally posted by gbl Quote
Why not get another GRII now? The prices are really good right now, new and used. To be honest I'm skeptical the lens of the GRIII will be as good as the one on the GRII. I'm also skeptical that the user interface on the GRIII will be as smooth as the current layout. I hope I'm wrong. But I have a feeling that after the first reviews of the GRIII in half a year or so, the used prices for the GRII will go up.
I agree with pretty much all of this albeit I'm in Australia and nothing is cheap here. But yes, for me the number 1 issue with the new model will be whether the sensor has the 'special sauce' as some us like to refer to it.

you could try some canibalising. There's a post touching upon it here: -
I saw that! Alas, I'm no handyman.

Could be worth seeking repair.
I might just do that.

Thanks all!
10-07-2018, 06:21 PM   #659
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with pretty much all of this albeit I'm in Australia and nothing is cheap here. But yes, for me the number 1 issue with the new model will be whether the sensor has the 'special sauce' as some us like to refer to it.

I saw that! Alas, I'm no handyman.

I might just do that.

Thanks all!
Whilton Camera in the CBD there in Sydney fixed up my GRDIII years ago (lens unit would no longer retract - my own fault - long story) and it worked great til I sold it 5 years later. It wasn't cheap but it was half the price of a new one at the time, even AUD considering. Worth having them give it once over I'd reckon. Don't hold me to this but if I remember correctly they charge for the diagnosis but will take that amount off the repair cost. I only had that one interatction with them and it was good overall. They seemed to be quite busy, probably a result of their location.
10-07-2018, 07:50 PM   #660

Whilton Camera in the CBD there in Sydney fixed up my GRDIII years ago (lens unit would no longer retract - my own fault - long story) and it worked great til I sold it 5 years later. It wasn't cheap but it was half the price of a new one at the time, even AUD considering. Worth having them give it once over I'd reckon. Don't hold me to this but if I remember correctly they charge for the diagnosis but will take that amount off the repair cost. I only had that one interatction with them and it was good overall. They seemed to be quite busy, probably a result of their location.
Whilton Camera in the CBD there in Sydney fixed up my GRDIII years ago (lens unit would no longer retract - my own fault - long story) and it worked great til I sold it 5 years later. It wasn't cheap but it was half the price of a new one at the time, even AUD considering. Worth having them give it once over I'd reckon. Don't hold me to this but if I remember correctly they charge for the diagnosis but will take that amount off the repair cost. I only had that one interatction with them and it was good overall. They seemed to be quite busy, probably a result of their location
Wow, never heard of that place despite the fact I've walked past it hundreds of times. Will pop in before it closes at 6pm today, thanks. In the meantime, I rang up the Ricoh distributer CR Kennedyand await a quote and timescale from them.