Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2020, 03:03 AM - 3 Likes   #811
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

A few more close-to-the-water shots.

11-20-2020, 09:35 AM - 6 Likes   #812
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

She was a bit skeptical when she saw me using a GR for shooting her portrait. "Won't that wideangle lens make me look horse faced?!"

11-20-2020, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #813
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
She was a bit skeptical when she saw me using a GR for shooting her portrait. "Won't that wideangle lens make me look horse faced?!"

cool image - thanks for sharing!
11-20-2020, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #814
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
True. I'm trying to get better at exploiting such conditions, but dank and dreary weather tends to kill my mojo. Working on it, though
Understandable... go to where lights are, be they street lights, shop windows, etc. If the weather is stormy there are some great reflections/puddles/rain etc. effects to be had.

12-13-2020, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #815
Forum Member

A few Monovember shots with the GR II.

these are fantastic. did you capture jpeg or are these dog's with post processing. i especially like that first picture of the lake and the one of the 2 blokes walking down the street. really shows off the strength of the GR.
12-13-2020, 02:08 PM   #816
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by recklessdiffraction Quote
these are fantastic. did you capture jpeg or are these dog's with post processing. i especially like that first picture of the lake and the one of the 2 blokes walking down the street. really shows off the strength of the GR.
Thank you I (almost) always shoot dng and process them in Lightroom - and, in the case of b&w, I usually pull them through Nik's Silver Efex as well.

Sometimes I shoot with the high-contrast b&w setting of the camera, though, and don't do anything beyond that. I see others get really good results with the Positive Film preset as well. I want to check that out as well, but tend to fall back to my habit of always shooting dng.
12-13-2020, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #817
Veteran Member

A few more close-to-the-water shots.

Excellent! Love that first one especially.
12-14-2020, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #818
Forum Member

Thank you I (almost) always shoot dng and process them in Lightroom - and, in the case of b&w, I usually pull them through Nik's Silver Efex as well.

Sometimes I shoot with the high-contrast b&w setting of the camera, though, and don't do anything beyond that. I see others get really good results with the Positive Film preset as well. I want to check that out as well, but tend to fall back to my habit of always shooting dng.
Ah. I do miss LR. I abandoned it after they went to a subscriber model. I recently bought Exposure X6 as the next closest thing possibly. but I'm not at all familiar with its workings yet. I do still have working versions of the entire Nik suite but thats on limited time as its now part of DXo I think.

You did great work with those images, some lovely tonal contrast and depth. Silver Efex is a great tool.

12-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #819
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah. I do miss LR. I abandoned it after they went to a subscriber model. I recently bought Exposure X6 as the next closest thing possibly. but I'm not at all familiar with its workings yet. I do still have working versions of the entire Nik suite but thats on limited time as its now part of DXo I think.

You did great work with those images, some lovely tonal contrast and depth. Silver Efex is a great tool.
Yes, I love Silver Efex for anything b&w. As long as the old tools work I will keep using them.

I would like to replace LR (still using an older non-sub version). I think e.g. Darktable will do quite nicely for the editing part of things, and the GIMP as a substitute for PS (which I don't use much anyway), but I still haven't found anything for the cataloguing part of it, including the nondestructive edits and history. Exposure X6 might be worth a look, though. Hadn't heard of it before now, so thanks for that
12-15-2020, 01:52 AM   #820
Forum Member

Yes, I love Silver Efex for anything b&w. As long as the old tools work I will keep using them.

I would like to replace LR (still using an older non-sub version). I think e.g. Darktable will do quite nicely for the editing part of things, and the GIMP as a substitute for PS (which I don't use much anyway), but I still haven't found anything for the cataloguing part of it, including the nondestructive edits and history. Exposure X6 might be worth a look, though. Hadn't heard of it before now, so thanks for that
I used LR in standalone form until I was forced to upgrade my OS. It was no longer compatible after that. In the realms of alternatives I wanted something that did the cataloguing and editing functions of LR. There are a handful of options. Exposure, which was formerly Alien Skin plug in filter suite (which I never used), in use looks and feels very similar to LR. I might say it's an intentional copy for folks not happy with subscriber models.
12-15-2020, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #821
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

I used LR in standalone form until I was forced to upgrade my OS. It was no longer compatible after that. In the realms of alternatives I wanted something that did the cataloguing and editing functions of LR. There are a handful of options. Exposure, which was formerly Alien Skin plug in filter suite (which I never used), in use looks and feels very similar to LR. I might say it's an intentional copy for folks not happy with subscriber models.
Having looked at a few videos about it on youtube I must say it looks really good. I may download a trial to try it during the holidays. They layer and masking features look porper powerful, and with all the presets it might even give Silver Efex a run for its money. Again, thanks for the heads-up!

I guess it's time to add another GR image to the thread to compensate for us drifting quite a bit off-topic

12-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #822
Veteran Member

Great sunburst!
12-16-2020, 02:47 PM - 2 Likes   #823
Forum Member

I guess it's time to add another GR image to the thread to compensate for us drifting quite a bit off-topic
Go on, I'll join ya .... double rainbow and sparkle of light out on the moor
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
12-20-2020, 02:34 PM   #824
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Edit: The compression on these is bad.

I'm slowly going through older photos after completely reorganizing this year. I now use MX linux and darktable, and am currently trialing Turbo Print. Better days in the hills:

Among the rocks
by Aaron, on Flickr

Temple path
by Aaron, on Flickr
12-21-2020, 10:02 AM   #825
Forum Member

A couple of shots from last year. I'm not always too good at keeping up

Love this picture so much!