Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1018 Likes Search this Thread
08-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ShowMeTheMoney Quote
It's easy to gush over newly acquired gear, but after just a couple of weeks with the GR, I can't help but think I've found 'the one' - no other camera has ticked almost all the right boxes for me - size, snap focus, quality, FL etc..

The GR in the streets of Manila:

All images processed from DNG.

I think snap focus is just pure genius. Barring an actual distance scale on the lens barrel, for my purposes, I find that snap focus works really well. Though I hear that the new Leica X-Vario has a pretty nifty design that sounds like it's really useful for those like me who like shooting pre-focused, yet occasionally need AF. But I much prefer snap focus vs the on-screen DOF scale and fly-by-wire set-up of the X100s, for example.

I also find shooting with just the LCD pretty liberating. I find that my shooting is a lot more 'fluid'; if that makes any sense. Though I did still get a finder for the GR (The Panasonic VF1 - designed for the 24mm EFOV of the LX series, but I think the brightlines fit the GR's 28mm EFOV perfectly; I used to have the Voigtlander 21/25mm (I lost it) for my GRDIV, and it had brightlines for 21mm and notches for 25mm, and I much prefer the Panasonic, though of course it won't be too useful with the GW-3 adapter). But I've mostly preferred shooting using just the LCD so far.

Cheers.
Great set Josh, and very good processing

I tried the star trail function the other day :

08-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ShowMeTheMoney Quote
It's easy to gush over newly acquired gear, but after just a couple of weeks with the GR, I can't help but think I've found 'the one' - no other camera has ticked almost all the right boxes for me - size, snap focus, quality, FL etc..

(…)

I think snap focus is just pure genius. Barring an actual distance scale on the lens barrel, for my purposes, I find that snap focus works really well. Though I hear that the new Leica X-Vario has a pretty nifty design that sounds like it's really useful for those like me who like shooting pre-focused, yet occasionally need AF. But I much prefer snap focus vs the on-screen DOF scale and fly-by-wire set-up of the X100s, for example.

I also find shooting with just the LCD pretty liberating. I find that my shooting is a lot more 'fluid'; if that makes any sense. Though I did still get a finder for the GR (The Panasonic VF1 - designed for the 24mm EFOV of the LX series, but I think the brightlines fit the GR's 28mm EFOV perfectly; I used to have the Voigtlander 21/25mm (I lost it) for my GRDIV, and it had brightlines for 21mm and notches for 25mm, and I much prefer the Panasonic, though of course it won't be too useful with the GW-3 adapter). But I've mostly preferred shooting using just the LCD so far.

Cheers.
Same feeling here. The K-5 has been sleeping most of the time since I bought the GR. Having the camera with me all the time is a major change. Before the GR I used my phone when I didn't have the dSLR, but shooting with a phone is slow, image quality is not quite there and they are also more difficult to handle and operate.
The lack of viewfinder was the main reason I was hesitant to get the GR, but in the end I find it liberating too. Not sure I will get an additional viewfinder now.

Also, with the GR people don't pay attention to you nearly as much as with a SLR. I never try to hide or be stealthy, instead I make it a principle to be visible when I take pictures of people, but the GR seems harmless to people and even when they see me they don't react the same way. I have a theory that when you use a point and shoot people don't mind because they become a souvenir, but when you use a SLR they feel they become a subject.

08-05-2013, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #93

Photos: Gallery
New GR

Just got the new GR a few days ago. Here are a few shots.
Attached Images

08-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Found a cool timelapse made with the GR :

08-22-2013, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #95

Spiaggia in High Key - Ricoh GR V di Gennaro Verolla, su Flickr

Last edited by mrjack75; 09-30-2013 at 01:58 PM.
08-23-2013, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #96
Veteran Member

I came into this thread way to late to point out how awesome the individual pictures are (and a lot of them are!), so let me just say 2 things:
- can't wait to get the Ricoh GR (will be next week probably)
- you guys post some really awesome pictures

over and out
08-25-2013, 01:58 AM - 1 Like   #97
Veteran Member

Got my GR today, and right out of the store I took a few snapshots.
This is the best one so far:

http://500px.com/photo/44171478

RAW development in camera, no post processing on the PC.

Now the baby is getting some battery power, after charging I will take her out for some more shooting.

08-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #98
Veteran Member

So, and now a few more in detail.
After charging the batteries a little bit, I had to rush out to meet some friends for dinner (nice Korean Restaurant).
I would have never taken my DSLR to this, because why would I?
But the GR fit nicely in my pocket, nobody even knew I had it with me.
On my way home I used the opportunity to snap away a bit.

And damn, I LOVE this camera.

The shots were taken in DNG and post processed in Silkypix (white balance, contrast, and in one case cropping, nothing more).

Let me know what you think about 'em.

René

"(not quite) The Last Train" on 500px

"Empty Bottles" on 500px

"The Lonely Bike" on 500px
08-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats, René! Nice first few images too.
08-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #100
Veteran Member

thanks! I hope there will be more to come
08-26-2013, 04:09 AM - 2 Likes   #101
Veteran Member

All SOOC.
08-26-2013, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #102

RAW_BN_LIGHTROOM

GR010413 di Gennaro Verolla, su Flickr
08-26-2013, 04:13 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
All SOOC.
SOOC = shot in JPG
or
SOOC = in camera raw developed
?

In any case, really really really nice pictures!
08-26-2013, 04:37 AM   #104
Veteran Member

SOOC = straight-out-of-camera JPEG = no post-processing on my part
08-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #105
Veteran Member

nice!