Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #61

Nice pix, nice camera!

Hi Frank,
Greetings from California. Great photos. I also learned from your post that Singapore has both a president and prime minister. I've seem the PM's house, but not the president's. Nice place. And I'm glad I've ordered a GR, which should arrive tomorrow, if UPS meets its delivery deadline. I love my other Pentax-family camera, the K-5, which produces amazing pictures, but is a bit heavy to lug around, despite being smaller and lighter than most DSLRs. I'm looking forward to playing with the new Ricoh, which looks terrific.

05-29-2013, 12:07 AM - 2 Likes   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm slowly adding some GR shots to my flicrk stream but just wanted to share this one. The IQ on this tiny little thing is starting to blow my mind just a little.

05-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikeosully Quote
Hi Frank,
Greetings from California. Great photos. I also learned from your post that Singapore has both a president and prime minister. I've seem the PM's house, but not the president's. Nice place. And I'm glad I've ordered a GR, which should arrive tomorrow, if UPS meets its delivery deadline. I love my other Pentax-family camera, the K-5, which produces amazing pictures, but is a bit heavy to lug around, despite being smaller and lighter than most DSLRs. I'm looking forward to playing with the new Ricoh, which looks terrific.
Thanks Mike. And congrates in the new camera, I'm sure you'd love it.

Singapore is a very small but beautiful city, a great place to stop over for a while when you travel by south east Asia. Hope you'd have chance to visit us when time comes

Cheers and enjoy your new camera.
05-31-2013, 06:22 AM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by laopai Quote
Hi Frank,

Thanks for sharing with us! Looks like it's a keeper!

I've already pre-ordered the GR and can't wait to get it.

Thanks again!
Definitely a must buy. Amazing shot taken by this little gear. Thanks Frank.

06-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #65
Veteran Member

I want a color ring too

06-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #66

Photos: Albums
Thanks for all the info and pictures guys, but I must confess. I ended up buying a Fuji X100s. I love it. I wish you guys a lot of fun with your new toys. The GR really seems like a great camera. Maybe some day I'll give in!

Cheers!
06-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #67
Veteran Member

I am wondering why the choice of 28mm lens? I prefer a 35mm lens with a larger aperture, say f2.0.

I am really interest in getting this camera, but would like to see what PENTAX will come out with (K-01 replacement?)... and would like to see the price go down a bit, like around $650.

06-11-2013, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I am wondering why the choice of 28mm lens? I prefer a 35mm lens with a larger aperture, say f2.0.

I am really interest in getting this camera, but would like to see what PENTAX will come out with (K-01 replacement?)... and would like to see the price go down a bit, like around $650.
A 35/2 lens would not be pocketable. That is the trade-off. That lens would be about as large as the Fuji X100 lens. Definitely not a discrete pocket cam.

What Ricoh did was go with 28mm for the versatility. There is a 35mm crop mode at 10 megapixels framed at the 35mm focal length on the rear LCD. So the camera already is a 10 MP 35mm using the sharpest centre of the lens.

For wider than 28mm Ricoh has the screw-on 21mm attachment. So the GR can go from 21 to 35mm in 135 equivalent at f/2.8 APS (f/4ish in 135).

I'd say the price might drop $100 in about a year to 18 months.
06-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
A 35/2 lens would not be pocketable. That is the trade-off. That lens would be about as large as the Fuji X100 lens. Definitely not a discrete pocket cam.

What Ricoh did was go with 28mm for the versatility. There is a 35mm crop mode at 10 megapixels framed at the 35mm focal length on the rear LCD. So the camera already is a 10 MP 35mm using the sharpest centre of the lens.

For wider than 28mm Ricoh has the screw-on 21mm attachment. So the GR can go from 21 to 35mm in 135 equivalent at f/2.8 APS (f/4ish in 135).

Yup, it's basically a 3-wide primes in your pocket, and that's really appealing.
06-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #70
Veteran Member

My bad, it is actually 28mm & 35mm FF 'equivalent', what I mean is 35mm focal length, like FA35, or longer like DA40ltd, which is a focal length you can have large aperture and keep the size small? It will be around 50mm or 60mm FF 'equivalent'.

or maybe they can make something call "The GR35" down the line (35mm, 50mm FF 'equivalent')... nonetheless, very interesting camera!
06-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Found a fish-eye adapter for my new GR at the local swap meet last saturday.. well kinda . (cropped photo)
Attached Images

06-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree that a 35-50mm (135) model may be interesting. However I strongly suspect we will only see that when FF sensors drop into the field along with 24+ megapixels, an EVF, etc. I suspect Ricoh will keep their skunkworks on that concept.

The Sony RX1 is a 35mm at f/2 FF. I played with one in the store and it still
Has my drool all over it! Big, heavy lens, though.

In about 2 years I expect this GR to have a 24MP APS sensor at the same price, but with few other changes other than a substantially better video mode and the distinct possibility the nameplate will say Pentax. Ricoh is a copier company where I live. Another feature we may see is some form of hybrid AF. The Achilles Heel of these snap shooters is their low light AF and active tracking. I suspect Sony is working on an APS RX10 with this and Nikon is already retooling the A. We'll see all that stuff at Photokona 2014. Big sensor cams like the GR are going to be a growth niche and brand maker for awhile. Not huge revenues but a steady, up-market sell. Very glad to see Pentax/Ricoh making an early and big splash here, toasting Nikon in the process. IMO
06-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #73
Veteran Member

I agree that a 35-50mm (135) model may be interesting. However I strongly suspect we will only see that when FF sensors drop into the field along with 24+ megapixels, an EVF, etc. I suspect Ricoh will keep their skunkworks on that concept.

In about 2 years I expect this GR to have a 24MP APS sensor at the same price, but with few other changes other than a substantially better video mode and the distinct possibility the nameplate will say Pentax. Ricoh is a copier company where I live. Another feature we may see is some form of hybrid AF. The Achilles Heel of these snap shooters is their low light AF and active tracking. I suspect Sony is working on an APS RX10 with this and Nikon is already retooling the A. We'll see all that stuff at Photokona 2014. Big sensor cams like the GR are going to be a growth niche and brand maker for awhile. Not huge revenues but a steady, up-market sell. Very glad to see Pentax/Ricoh making an early and big splash here, toasting Nikon in the process. IMO
The cool thing about this segment is that people that would otherwise not consider Pentax Ricoh due to perceived holes in their DSLR and CSC systems will consider a camera like the GRD. It may very well be the entry point for new Pentaxicans.
06-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Actually an "RX2" is rumored and it would not come to replace the RX1, so a different FL is highly probable IMO.

(SR5) Also a new RX FF coming soon (in late August?) | sonyalpharumors
06-17-2013, 06:12 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fierywang Quote
Definitely a must buy. Amazing shot taken by this little gear. Thanks Frank.
Thanks. Been away from Internet for two weeks, just got back from a long vacation. Collected my GR today, together w the sexy red ring too